For Melody re Hathaway

  • Tracy Stancil/mail.hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2004
      Melody,
      Here's the message I attempted to send you earlier last week. Thought I'd re-send it just in case you didn't get it. Some of my messages don't seem to be going through.

      Hey Melody,
      My Hathaway connection was quite early in Pitt County history and most of what I have is about "my" direct line Hathaway ancestors from the late 1700's and very early 1800's. So I don't have a lot on the recent Hathaway family.
      However, I can tell you that my Grandfather , Wilton Stancill, was a contemporary of your grandfather Tom L. Hathaway Sr. I have heard him speak many times of Tom Hathaway.
      If I understand you correctly you seem to be saying that your dad does not know who his grandparents were, at least not for sure.
      I have spent a little while investigating and have a little information for you. What I am about to share with you is taken mostly from looking at old census records and I believe it is accurate, but you should follow up by confirming it with other records such as birth, death, and marriage records, wills, deeds and estate records.
      1-Your grandfather Thomas Linwood Hathaway Sr. born March 30, 1910 and died August 31, 1995. He was a son of:
      2-David and Lena Hathaway ( just as you suspected). This confirmed by the 1920 Pitt County census of Belvoir Township in Enumeration District 39 page 7B:
      Hathaway, David 40 years old
      Lena 34 y.o.
      Fenton (?) 16 y.o.
      Floyd 14 y.o.
      David 12 y.o.
      Thomas 10 y.o.*
      Lena B. 8 y.o.
      Alvin 4 y.o.
      Harrel 1 y.o.
      Note: David Hathaway born circa 1880 was a son of:
      3-Edward David Hathaway and wife Lydia Ann Carson.
      From the 1900 census of Pitt County, Belvoir Township-

      Hathaway, Ed 51 years old born July 1849
      Lydian 47 y.o. born July 1852
      David 19 y.o. born Aug 1880*
      Huldy
      Joseph
      Gease (George?)
      Edith
      ( I think there may have been another child whose name I failed to write down)

      Edward David Hathaway was a son of:

      4-Gaston J. Hathaway and wife Emily Brady

      1850 Pitt Census

      Hathaway, Gaston 33 years old
      Emily 24 y.o.
      James John 5 y.o.
      Ann Eliza 4 y.o.
      Edward D. 2 y.o.*

      (First wife Emily apparently died. Gaston Hathaway married Sarah Little on November 18, 1851 in Edgecombe County)
      See the later census of 1870:

      Hathaway, Gaston 55 y.o.
      Sarah E. 40 y.o.
      Edward 21 y.o.*
      Sarah A. 15 y.o.
      Peggy 12 y.o.
      William 11 y.o.
      Octavia 8 y.o.
      Jesse 5 y.o.
      John 3 y.o.

      * So your line is as follows:
      1-Thomas Linwood Hathaway Jr.
      2- Thomas Linwood Hathaway Sr.
      3-David and Lena Hathaway
      4-Edward David and Lydia Ann Carson Hathaway
      5-Gaston (born circa 1815) and Emily Brady Hathaway.

      This is as far as I have been able to go this morning. Some of the websites that might be helpful are not working today. Maybe when they are back on line it might be possible to go farther.
      Also it would probably be possible to trace farther by going to the Pitt County courthouse and look at records there.

      Hope this is helpful. Who knows, we may have a common ancestor down the line somewhere.
      Tracy Stancill
      Goldsboro, NC

    • Melody Bearden
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2004
        Hi Tracy,
        OH MY GOD!!! How do you do it? You must be a .Thanks so much for sending me the information. I'm so glad you sent it again being that I did not receive it last week.
        I to have heard my grandfather speak of your grandfather, he called him "Wilt". Small world if you really start searching.For some reason none of my dad's siblings know very much about their roots. Maybe they are not as curious as I am. The more I find out, the further back I want to go.So, can you tell me what I need to do when I go to the courthouse. I plan to go Monday sometime. I can't hardly wait.Thank you so much for taking so much time in helping me with my tree. I do hope we find out that we are related being that you are such a kind and helpful person. If you happen to find out any further please let me know.
        Thanks again and God Bless!
        Melody Bearden
        Tarboro, NC

        "Tracy Stancil/mail.hotmail.com" <TracyStancil@...> wrote:
[...]

        From the 1900 census of Pitt County, Belvoir Township-

[...]

        GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

      • Tracy Stancil/mail.hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2004
          Melody,
          You are very welcomed. If you need some tips to help you get started with courthouse research I will be more than happy to do what I can. You can write to me privately again and we'll go from there.