[genpcfr] PCFR website

  • martingen@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 1998
      Hello All, Good News.

      Have just uploaded a significant bunch of files that add to our new PCFR website. The home page has been expanded with a Main Menu, a Big Blurb on this genpcfr mailing list, and links to subscription and pcgq query forms to make it easy to join or renew. A new Resources index page makes links to the 1762 Pitt Co. Taxlist (complete--be patient on the download, it's worth the wait!), and a couple of tease-me photos. Another new page offers MANY links to related websites. If you have a personal home page with Pitt people on it, please submit your URL for a link!

      Jewelle has just sent me the info on the 1850 census project, and I'll try to get that on-line within the next week. Visit the site often, as it will be changing again and again.

      I've also adopted Pitt and Beaufort counties in affiliation with the fairly new "American Local History Network." These websites will not offer mailling lists or query boards, as both counties already have good ones underway. Instead, they will try to coordinate independent web sites that offer resources and articles of historical and/or genealogical interest. I won't be posting much of my own genealogy stuff there, as I would rather contribute to the PCFR website resources, and/or to the Pitt resource being sponsored by the NC Collection at Joyner Library, instead. But they'll be good places to find links and background information that might get lost on the net. If you like to author general history articles, these new sites would be the best place to post them. These sites are not in competition with the NCGenWeb sites (which are really getting good these days, and of which I host 4), but as a supplement to them.

      Try:
      PCFR Home: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy
      Pitt ALHN: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/alhnpitt.htm
      Beau ALHN: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/alhnbeau.htm

      If you have questions about navigating these sites, please let me know. I want them to be easy to use. I'm also avoiding heavy use of graphic elements in order to speed up the download time. I don't know about you, but when I'm surfing for data, I hate waiting!

      Sorry for such a long message. I'm too tired to edit my thoughts and they're just spilling out!

      --Betsy

      P.S. Why do you guys have names in the message index, but I'm only an email address? That's a poser for you, Jewelle!

      -----
    • Martha Marble
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 1998

        >Have just uploaded a significant bunch of files that add to our new PCFR
        website.

        Betsy and Jewell,

        I can't get on - keeps telling me it does not exist. Anyone else having a
        problem?

        Martha

      • Martha Marble
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 1998
          At 10:52 PM 11/7/98 -0000, you wrote:
          >Hello All, Good News.

          Betsy,

          Just tried the Pitt and Beaufort sites you mentioned and Geo Cities says
          they are not valid either.

          Martha

        • linda burnette
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 1998
            Martha Marble wrote:

            > >Have just uploaded a significant bunch of files that add to our new PCFR
            > website.
            >
            > Betsy and Jewell,
            >
            > I can't get on - keeps telling me it does not exist. Anyone else having a
            > problem?
            >
            > Martha

            > NextCard Internet VISA - 2.9% intro APR
            >
            > Earn free airline tickets WITH DOUBLE Rew@rds points.
            >
            > http://ads.egroups.com/click/63/0/nextcard
            >
            > Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

            Yes I am having trouble also. We get the same message. Let me know if
            you find out whats going on.

            Thanks Frank
          • linda burnette
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 1998
              martingen@... wrote:

              > Hello All, Good News.
              >
              > Have just uploaded a significant bunch of files that add to our new PCFR website. The home page has been expanded with a Main Menu, a Big Blurb on this genpcfr mailing list, and links to subscription and pcgq query forms to make it easy to join or renew. A new Resources index page makes links to the 1762 Pitt Co. Taxlist (complete--be patient on the download, it's worth the wait!), and a couple of tease-me photos. Another new page offers MANY links to related websites. If you have a personal hom
              >
              > Jewelle has just sent me the info on the 1850 census project, and I'll try to get that on-line within the next week. Visit the site often, as it will be changing again and again.
              >

              > Try:
              > PCFR Home: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy
              > Pitt ALHN: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/alhnpitt.htm
              > Beau ALHN: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/alhnbeau.htm
              >
              > If you have questions about navigating these sites, please let me know. I want them to be easy to use. I'm also avoiding heavy use of graphic elements in order to speed up the download time. I don't know about you, but when I'm surfing for data, I hate waiting!
              >
              > Sorry for such a long message. I'm too tired to edit my thoughts and they're just spilling out!
              >
              > --Betsy
              >
              > P.S. Why do you guys have names in the message index, but I'm only an email address? That's a poser for you, Jewelle!
              >
              > -----
              > Free e-mail group hosting at http://www.eGroups.com/
              > No tricks, no gimmicks - just a great intro rate for Internet users!
              >
              > NextCard Internet VISA -- Apply online now!
              >
              > http://ads.egroups.com/click/60/1/nextcard
              >
              > Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

              Hi,
              I have tried to get on to the site and see your information. But I
              cant get in either. Any suggestions??????

              Thanks Frank
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 8, 1998
                Martha... site could have been busy... I've just come from there... no
                problems! ... try again .. It gets BETTER all the time!!!!!
                Jewelle

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 8, 1998
                  At 07:38 PM 11/7/98 -0800, you wrote:
                  >martingen@... wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Hello All, Good News.
                  Betsy>>
                  <snip>

                  >Hi,
                  > I have tried to get on to the site and see your information. But I
                  >cant get in either. Any suggestions??????
                  >
                  >Thanks Frank

                  Hi Frank... try now, site obviously busy.. I just was there... 8:30p.m.
                  Sun.. its worth waiting for... getting better all the time... welcome and
                  thanks for joining us. Post your queries and send us your pedigree charts.
                  Good luck researching!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 8, 1998
                    At 07:37 PM 11/7/98 -0800, you wrote:
                    >Martha Marble wrote:
                    >>

                    >> >Have just uploaded a significant bunch of files that add to our new PCFR
                    >> website.
                    >>
                    >> Betsy and Jewell,
                    >>
                    >> I can't get on - keeps telling me it does not exist. Anyone else having a
                    >> problem?
                    >>
                    >> Martha
                    >>
                    >Yes I am having trouble also. We get the same message. Let me know if
                    >you find out whats going on.
                    >
                    >Thanks Frank

                    Hi again Frank... please try again... I was visitor #268

                    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/1908/index.html

                    Good luck!!!