Abraham Lincoln's birth

  • marcia_mclawhorn
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 7, 2003
      Today, the "Chicago Tribune" (page 24) reports that Richard Eller, a
      Catawba Valley Community College history Professor, and Jerry
      Goodnight, a retired schoolteacher, wrote a book "The Tarheel
      Lincoln," which was released this year. The article states that the
      book is the result of research of the claim that the 16th president
      was born in Rutherford County, NC; an illegitimate son of a North
      Carolinian named Abraham Enloe. This dispite the fact that tradition
      has his birth on Feb. 12 1809 in Hardin County, KY.

      The "Trib" states that Eller and Goodnight thought there are phyical
      resemblance between Lincoln and Enloe determined by comparing
      photographs of the tall lanky men.
    • marcia_mclawhorn
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 8, 2003
        To Nula,

        Your emails keep bouncing back to me. On 12/08/03, I found at Trib
        website after searching for "North Carolina"

        Item compiled from Tribune news services
        Published December 7, 2003

        Book argues Lincoln born out of wedlock

        HICKORY, NORTH CAROLINA -- Investigating a topic that has been taboo
        for years, two North Carolina researchers believe President Abraham
        Lincoln may have been the illegitimate son of a North Carolinian
        named Abraham Enloe.

        In their book "The Tarheel Lincoln," released earlier this year,
        Catawba Valley Community College history professor Richard Eller and
        retired schoolteacher Jerry Goodnight research decades-old claims
        that the 16th president was born in Rutherford County, about 60 miles
        west of Charlotte.
        Traditional claims that Lincoln was born Feb. 12, 1809, in Hardin
        County, Ky., are based on a statement written by Lincoln a few months
        before he was nominated to be president.

        Eller and Enloe base their argument on Lincoln's North Carolina
        origins on a physical resemblance between Lincoln and Enloe, which
        the authors noted by comparing photographs of the tall, lanky men.

        Copyright © 2003, Chicago Tribune

        (Note error: 'Eller and Enlow' in last paragraph should be 'Eller and
        Goodnight' - the authors. Enlow lived in 1800's. - Marcia).

        The article does not indicate a strong case, so I used Google to
        research good, olde Abe - see this sight search critera was "Abraham
        Lincoln's mother" selected:
        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/6552/lincoln.htm

        Marcia

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 8, 2003
          Dear Group, I've just read an article on the paternity
          of Abraham Lincoln from the web. I found it by doing a
          search at http://www.Yahoo.com and searching "Abraham
          Lincoln's paternity." There on the first page was
          reference to the article by Ed Steers, "historian and
          Lincoln author," giving a rebuttal to the argument
          that his father was Abraham Enloe of Rutherford
          County, North Carolina. One problem college professors
          face is the pressure to publish. The best way to get
          recognition is to write about a controversial topic.
          Lincoln's paternity fits the bill. However,I am not
          saying that such motives influenced the book under
          discussion, only that whatever one writes on
          historical and genealogical subjects should be
          carefully researched and that even under the best of
          precautions, errors will creep in. I'd never heard of
          serious doubts being raised about Lincoln's paternity
          until now, so that shows my own
          knowledge deficit on the subject. The discussion drew
          my attention and interest, so I decided to check it
          out and report back what I learned if it might be of
          interest to our group. On a more personal note, quite
          a few people over the years said that my Uncle Mark
          looked like Abraham Lincoln, so learning that he might
          have been a Tarheel spiked my interest--perhaps Enloe
          might have been related to one or another of the
          families in our group. All his life, though, my uncle
          denied it. Instead, he claimed kinship to Ichabod
          Crane--he of the long arms and legs and hero of
          Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow."
          Later, Carol
          --- marcia_mclawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>

          http://photos.yahoo.com/
        • NulaT@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 8, 2003
            Dear Marcia,

            I have no idea why my emails would bounce. That is a question I need to ask
            AOL. However one of yours came through before this one about the Trib
            article.

            Thanks so much for the URL for the Hanks and Lincoln families. That will be
            interesting reading.

            Thanks again,

            Nula

          • NulaT@aol.com

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 9, 2003
                Dear Marcia and group, I loved the photographic
                evidence. I'm reminded of the Maury Povich show, which
                has become a replication almost of Jerry Springer.
                Many of the women are trying to prove their babies'
                paternity using the justification that the baby "looks
                just like" the man they think is the father, while the
                men are saying the babies look nothing like them. Of
                course the DNA results continue to prove that looks
                fail the test more often than not. I'm reminded, too,
                of all the rage about this and that look-alike
                contests. Hey, maybe one of us could pass for Queen
                Elizabeth--we're too young I think to claim title to
                being the Russian princess Anatasia. Besides we'd have
                a hard time making any money off the Russian title,
                but we might come into some change if we landed the
                British title. Later, Carol
                wrote:
> [...]
                http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/6552/lincoln.htm

                > > Marcia

                > > >Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:53:29 EST
                > > >Subject: Abraham Lincoln
                > >
                > > >Marcia,
                > > >
                > > >I have had an interest in Abraham Lincoln's
                > > heritage for some time.
                > > >Were you able to copy the article and would it be
                > > possible for you
                > > >to send it to me. I went to the Tribune page but
                > > was unable to get
                > > >any results. Probably beyond my abilities on the
                > > computer.
                > > >
                > > >Your help would be appreciated.
                > > >
                > > >Nula Tingleff

                > http://photos.yahoo.com/
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                > Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME II
                > CHRONICALS earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for
                > detail instructions:

                > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form,

                === message truncated ===

                http://photos.yahoo.com/
              • Rhet Wilkinson
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 9, 2003
                  This is not a new idea. I have heard for YEARS that there is a debate as to exactly where he was born etc. Rhet
                  Today, the "Chicago Tribune" (page 24) reports that Richard Eller, a
                  Catawba Valley Community College history Professor, and Jerry
                  Goodnight, a retired schoolteacher, wrote a book "The Tarheel
                  Lincoln," which was released this year. The article states that the
                  book is the result of research of the claim that the 16th president
                  was born in Rutherford County, NC; an illegitimate son of a North
                  Carolinian named Abraham Enloe. This dispite the fact that tradition
                  has his birth on Feb. 12 1809 in Hardin County, KY.

                  The "Trib" states that Eller and Goodnight thought there are phyical
                  resemblance between Lincoln and Enloe determined by comparing
                  photographs of the tall lanky men.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

                • Evelyn Hendricks
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 9, 2003
                    When I was in school in the dark ages--over sixty years ago-we were taught
                    that Abraham Lincoln was illegitimate and for that reason his supposed
                    father always wanted to live in isolated areas. At that time I believe,
                    Abe's mother was supposed to have been a waitress in a tavern and the father
                    was one of the customers. I doubt it is true, but that was the story then.
                    Evelyn

                    > This is not a new idea. I have heard for YEARS that there is a debate as
                    to exactly where he was born etc. Rhet

                    group if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and
                    all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 9, 2003
                      Dear Evelyn, The article I referred to from
                      researching the Yahoo site mentioned that there were
                      about ten women named Nancy Hanks who were close in
                      age to the mother of Abraham Lincoln. Additionally,
                      the older sister of Nancy Hanks, according to the
                      author (Steers) of the article on Yahoo, did have an
                      illegitimate son. Since record keeping was not at the
                      level it is today and since DNA testing was unknown,
                      it is not surprising that a controversy should arise.
                      When I was in school myself, I was taught that Abraham
                      Lincoln's father was Thomas Lincoln and that the
                      family lived in remote areas because the father made
                      his living primarily through hunting (fur trading) and
                      that additionally any meat that was not needed by the
                      family he sold to add to the family's income. In
                      another class, the teacher noted that Thomas Lincoln
                      was a loner who often went on long hunting trips--the
                      more so following the death of Nancy--from which he
                      did not return for days. According to this teacher,
                      the Lincoln children were on their own during the
                      absence of their father. Later, after the marriage of
                      Thomas to his second wife, the children welcomed her
                      because now there was an adult always with them and
                      they felt more like a family again rather than like
                      orphans. Whatever the case, I doubt that anyone can
                      deny the hardship a child experiences after losing a
                      parent--whether through death as was common in
                      Lincoln's day or through divorce as is common in our
                      own day. Perhaps Lincoln was a better person for
                      having had the childhood he did. As for Thomas
                      Lincoln, as with the parents of so many people who
                      later became famous, one always wonders how much of
                      what we have been taught is true, how much is fantasy,
                      and how much is conjecture. I guess, too, that many of
                      us might say the same of ancestors we ourselves never
                      knew. The important think is that we remember them and
                      try to think kindly of them in spite of the
                      circumstances of their lives and their human failings.
                      Later, Carol

                      http://photos.yahoo.com/
                    • Cvbeck
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 9, 2003
                        Hey, Growing up, My Mom looked exactly like Loretta
                        Lynn.................I looked like (1) Teenager- Marie Osmond, (2 & 3)
                        20's - Pat Benetar and Sheena Easton. I like to sing...Where's the
                        Dough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

                        HA HA HA!

                        wrote:
> [...]

                        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/6552/lincoln.htm

                        > > Marcia

                        > > >Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:53:29 EST
                        > > >Subject: Abraham Lincoln
                        > >
                        > > >Marcia,
                        > > >
                        > > >I have had an interest in Abraham Lincoln's
                        > > heritage for some time.
                        > > >Were you able to copy the article and would it be
                        > > possible for you
                        > > >to send it to me. I went to the Tribune page but
                        > > was unable to get
                        > > >any results. Probably beyond my abilities on the
                        > > computer.
                        > > >
                        > > >Your help would be appreciated.
                        > > >
                        > > >Nula Tingleff

                        > http://photos.yahoo.com/
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        > Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME II CHRONICALS
                        > earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for detail instructions:

                        > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form,

                        http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.ht

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://photos.yahoo.com/

                        Pitt County Historical Society:

                        Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME II CHRONICALS
                        earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for detail instructions:

                        RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form, limited supply:
                        http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.ht

                        We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic
                        group if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt
                        and all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties. GenealogyPITT Co NC
                        Friends In

                        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      • linda bass
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 9, 2003
                          All in-coming and out-going mail
                          is checked by Norton Anti-Virus
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 10, 2003
                            Dear Linda, I've thought about exhuming a few to
                            fulfill the prophecy from the t.v. program "Unsolved
                            Mysteries;" "You too can solve a mystery!" Right! I
                            can't wait! Of course, I might bite off more than I
                            can chew. When one starts digging, one never knows
                            what he will unearth. Still, I have a better reason
                            than "Father Abraham" as I call him. I have not been
                            able to find a marriage record for Jacky Ann McGowan,
                            my maternal great grandmother. My grandmother Jennie
                            Secession McGowan's father was her mother's cousin
                            William McGowan. The only problem is that she had four
                            cousins named William McGowan that I know of. Jennie
                            Secession McGowan and mother Jacky Ann McGowan were
                            living in the 1880 census in the household of Lemuel
                            McGowan,Sr. and Paulina (Perlina, Mama said her name
                            was)McGowan his wife--parents of Jacky Ann McGowan.
                            Jennie was listed as one-year old granddaughter.
                            Jennie's tombstone gives the birth as 1882 or 83 (I
                            forget which but a contradiction of the census
                            record). If any of you has the information that will
                            help me definitively solve this mystery, just think,

                            http://photos.yahoo.com/
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 10, 2003
                              See what I mean? I wanted to be Dolly Parton myself.
                              People tell me I have the look, but hey, the money (as
                              you have pointed out) is in the voice. Why couldn't I
                              have just had the voice? Later, Carol

                              === message truncated ===

                              http://photos.yahoo.com/
                            • tarheellincoln1
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
                                As one of the author's of the new book on Lincoln's paternity I would
                                like to respond to some statements made here. First, our research is
                                not based upon lookalikes alone. Though interesting, that kind of
                                evidence would never make an adequate case for Abraham Lincoln being
                                the son of anyone. If you check out the book you will find one full
                                chapter dedicated to the only real evidence that matters, DNA. Our
                                work has included that of a forensic pathologist who has been working
                                toward the goal of testing the Lincolns for a number of years. The
                                intent of the book is to begin discussion of this possibility so that
                                sources that now hold Lincoln DNA might be persuaded to allow some of
                                its usage to test this story which has been going around the
                                mountains of North Carolina for almost 200 years. Your critique of
                                the book baffles me. You take the same sort of "off the cuff"
                                position about our work as what you accuse of taking in our
                                research. I would suggest that you read the book and not the wire
                                service article before forming an opinion. I really don't intend to
                                be caustic about your previous statements, I would just rather have a
                                well informed discussion. That way, we all know what we are talking
                                about. Richard Eller

                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
                                  Sir, I myself take no pleasure in downing a book with
                                  or without examining it. When asked my opinion, I
                                  acknowledged not having read the book. Instead I read
                                  critiques of the book, as our library does not own
                                  your book. Based upon those and allowing that the
                                  conclusions drawn were correct, then there followed
                                  the opinion I expressed. With those reservations, I
                                  prefaced my remarks. I doubt that any of us who are
                                  interested in genealogy and in the combined fields of
                                  genalogy and history would with malice aforethought
                                  make light of your work or of your interest in
                                  pursuing DNA evidence. While it would be rewarding to
                                  have actual DNA support for your argument, to date it
                                  does not exist--if I understand you correctly.
                                  Therefore, you have put before us an interesting
                                  hypothesis rather than proof--again if I understand
                                  you correctly--and you would like to have the DNA
                                  analysis to support your argument. Certainly such
                                  evidence would be desirable, and I doubt that anyone
                                  would dispute you on the subject. To date, though, we
                                  don't have it, and we can only use what we do have. I
                                  do not blame you for defending your work. Any of us
                                  would do the same in your place. I sincerely hope that
                                  whoever is in a position to provide you the DNA you
                                  need to determine Lincoln's parentage does so--in the
                                  interest of both history and science, if not in that
                                  of simple human nature. In the meantime, pardon both
                                  my humor and my reservations. We Tarheels are famous
                                  for our laughter and our skepticism. Among us these
                                  characteristics are the ties that bind. Please take
                                  our remarks to each other in the vein in which they
                                  were intended. None of us had the intention of
                                  offending anyone. Carol

                                  http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/