Re: [genpcncfir] Sketches of Pitt County

  • D. Cooper
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
      Someone has told me that all birth and death records are in Richmond for the all of Vir. and not located in the individual counties as in N.C. is this true. Don Cooper.
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 2003
        Dear "D" I do know that the records are in Richmond in
        the Library of Virginia, which has on-line access to
        its records. I've never checked county records except
        for wills and deeds. These are located in the
        courthouses in their respective locales. Here, as in
        North Carolina, we have a division of Vital Statistics
        where anyone can go to request birth, death, divorce,
        and marriage records. This year Vital Statistics
        relocated from the downtown area near the Governor's
        Mansion to the office complex at the Willow Lawn
        Shopping Center about a mile from my house. The
        advantage is no parking problems and ready access to
        city buses for those who have no car. Vital Statistics
        has records from throughout the state. When I needed a
        copy of my daughter's birth certificate for school, I
        had to go to Vital Statstics (which is State, not
        City) to obtain it, rather than to the John Marshall
        Court House, which houses all the land records and
        wills for Richmond City. So what I am thinking is than
        unlike North Carolina, no birth and death certificates
        are housed within localities but with the State
        itself. However, marriage and divorce records can be
        obtained from the courthouses within the locales
        because these involved civil actions. I can check
        further for you next week and get back to you. If you
        need anything from Richmond City, Hanover, Henrico, or
        Chesterfield counties, I am within easy reach of these
        (only a few miles) and will be happy to help you with
        look-ups. For the rest, since I live in the City of
        Richmond, I have easy access to any State archives.
        Virginia over the last decade with all the hoopla
        about privacy has restricted access to birth records
        but marriage, divorce, and death records are still
        relatively open. I believe that people can still
        obtain birth certificates for people who are deceased,
        but for minors I know that a person must be the parent
        or have written permission from the next-of-kin, be a
        guardian, or have a court order. Later, Carol
        --- "D. Cooper" <dlcooper@...> wrote:
        > Someone has told me that all birth and death records
        > are in Richmond for the all of Vir. and not located
        > in the individual counties as in N.C. is this true.
        > Don Cooper.

        Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
        http://companion.yahoo.com/
      • Diane Whitehurst Collins
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 2003
          Don, This is from the State's site - genealogy section. Diane

          The Archives Division, The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-1905, (804) 692-3500, has copies of surviving Virginia birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. These records are public information and are available on microfilm for use by the public. The Library of Virginia does not have copies of birth and death records from the Office of Vital Records for public use after 1896. There is no charge for viewing the microfilm of these records. Copies of the microfilm may be lent to other libraries from The Library of Virginia - Archives Division, Inter Library Loan Department. They lend the microfilm to libraries nationwide for 28 days with no renewals and there is a limit of 5 reels per patron which are sent at no charge.

          For most areas of the State, records are available for the years 1853 to 1896. Any "Marriage Bonds" prior to 1853 that are still in existence would also be in the Virginia State Library and Archives, as would war records prior to and including the Civil War, deeds, wills and other court records. Events that occurred in the portion of Virginia that is now West Virginia are recorded in the Archives of the Division of Culture and History, Capitol Complex, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305-0300. With the exception of the years 1896 to 1912, the Office of Vital Records has records of births, deaths, and marriages since 1853. Vital Records has divorce records on file from 1918 to the present. There are no records prior to 1853 and there was no law for the registration of births and deaths between 1896 and June 14, 1912.

          The Virginia Office of Vital Records is not equipped to do genealogical research; any such research should be done in the Archives Division of The Library of Virginia as indicated above. Certified copies of records which are known to be on file by a review of the Archives Division microfilm may be obtained from the Office of Vital Records upon application and payment of the fee of $10.00 per copy. The fee of $10.00 is charged by the Office of Vital Records for a certified copy and/or search of the files whether or not a copy of the record is furnished. Applications for copies of records must include full names and dates and places (cities or counties) of the events. In the Office of Vital Records, marriage, divorce and death data becomes public information fifty (50) years from the date of the event and birth data becomes public information one hundred (100) years from the date of the event (Section 32.1-271 of the Code of Virginia). The Virginia Office of Vital Records is not
          associated with any web site or addresses promoting genealogy.

          Someone has told me that all birth and death records are in Richmond for the all of Vir. and not located in the individual counties as in N.C. is this true. Don Cooper.
          For anyone interested, you can buy Sketches of Pitt County for $37 at Higginson Books:
          http://www.higginsonbooks.com

          Diane Whitehurst Collins

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In