Naming Patterns

  • daniel.mchale@prudential.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 20, 2003
      Hello all, I'm usually a quiet reader but thought that I'd share something
      on the naming pattens. I believe your thought of the names leading you to
      other surnames is a good one.

      My daughter's middle name is Carolyn, same as her mother, her grandmother,
      her great grandmother, and the first name of her great great great
      grandmother.

      My son's middle name is Bain, same as his great grandfather, great great
      grandfather, and his great great great grandfather. It was his great great
      great great Grandmother's maiden name.

      I myself have the first name of Thomas, same as my father, grandfather, and
      great great grandfather.

      It is interesting isn't it how names are passed down. I could name many
      other examples from my family tree. I do have one Great Great Great
      Grandfather who had the exact same name as his Grandfather. That caused me
      a great deal of confusion tracking my family tree at one time.
    • HUBCAPTG@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 20, 2003
        Here's a stumper:

        Shadrack Perry Sr.
        son:
        Shadrack Perry
        his first son:
        Daniel MacDougall Perry(apparently the middle name is for a close friend and
        associate)
        2nd son:
        John Junius Perry
        3rd son:
        Oliver Hazzard Perry

        John Junius Perry
        1st son: Shadrack Perry
        2nd son:John Junius Perry
        three others, no apparent family connection

        Shadrack is obviously the father's name, but is Daniel his father's name, or
        is John? (especially since Daniel MacD. is named for a friend) The father's
        father, or mother's father: John?

        I'm leaning towards an English/Irish rather than Scottish lineage...but it's
        possible. The Perrys were all over Europe.

        Any ideas?
        Thanks,
        Trisha Hubbard Green

      • Eckerd
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 20, 2003
          I found this on the Beaufort Co. web site: Have to remember that children may have died, and other variables; so this formula is an un-exact science! But I do see some recognitions in some of my trees that somewhat follow this. Linda

          Hertford County, NC - Naming Traditions

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Naming traditions:

          First son - father's father

          Second son - mother's father

          Third son - father

          Fourth son - father's oldest brother

          Fifth son - father's second oldest brother or mother's oldest brother

          First daughter - mother's mother

          Second daughter - father's mother

          Third daughter - mother

          Fourth daughter - mother's oldest sister

          Fifth daughter - mother's second oldest brother or father's oldest sister

          Middle name - mother's maiden name or surname of close friends

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 20, 2003
            Both John and Daniel may have been chosen from the
            Bible. Daniel was well-known to children because of
            the hymn that children often sang in Bible School,
            "Dare to be a Daniel, Dare to stand alone. Dare to
            have a purpose firm. Dare to make it known." Hazzard
            may have originated with Hazzard County--there is a
            Hazzard County Kentucky and a Hazzard County Georgia
            to name two. Additionally, Hazzard may have been a
            family surname; there are Hazzards throughout the
            South. Later, Carol
            --- HUBCAPTG@... wrote:
            > Here's a stumper:
            >
            > Shadrack Perry Sr.
            > son:
            > Shadrack Perry
            > his first son:
            > Daniel MacDougall Perry(apparently the middle name
            > is for a close friend and
            > associate)
            > 2nd son:
            > John Junius Perry
            > 3rd son:
            > Oliver Hazzard Perry
            >
            > John Junius Perry
            > 1st son: Shadrack Perry
            > 2nd son:John Junius Perry
            > three others, no apparent family connection
            >
            > Shadrack is obviously the father's name, but is
            > Daniel his father's name, or
            > is John? (especially since Daniel MacD. is named for
            > a friend) The father's
            > father, or mother's father: John?
            >
            > I'm leaning towards an English/Irish rather than
            > Scottish lineage...but it's
            > possible. The Perrys were all over Europe.
            >
            > Any ideas?
            > Thanks,
            > Trisha Hubbard Green

            http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
          • Louise Champion
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 21, 2003
              VERY GOOD! I did some checking and my families follow
              the pattern pretty well. One difference: My Pitt Co.
              families seem to name the first son after the two
              grandfathers. Five generations of the Nichols family
              follow this pattern pretty well. Even with my
              brother's and sisters. It is strange that my mother
              didn't tell me about the pattern. Thank you so much.
              I'm the third daughter, named after my mother's
              mother. I knew I was named after my grandmother, but
              didn't know that everybody did that.

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 21, 2003
                Don't we all wish "everybody" did...(name their kids like that!)

                Trisha

              • JimAnglim@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 21, 2003
                  We have a family naming pattern too:

                  Wife's name: Mary Elizabeth
                  Mother's name: Mary Elizabeth
                  One grandmother's name: Mary Elizabeth (the other was Martha Elizabeth)
                  One great grandmother's name: Mary Elizabeth (the others were Mary Frances,
                  Mary Ann, and Elizabeth)

                  Must be something in the DNA.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 22, 2003
                    We have one too.

                    Paula Anne
                    duaghter Emily Anne
                    granddaughter Brooke Anne

                    I thought I started it until I found

                    Winnifred Anne born abt. 1770
                    Nancy Anne born abt 1792
                    and, in NC Josiann born about 1830.

                    I was pleased with myself for continuing a tradition I
                    didn't know anything about, unless like Jim said, it's
                    in the genes....
                    --- JimAnglim@... wrote:
                    > We have a family naming pattern too:
                    >
                    > Wife's name: Mary Elizabeth
                    > Mother's name: Mary Elizabeth
                    > One grandmother's name: Mary Elizabeth (the other
                    > was Martha Elizabeth)
                    > One great grandmother's name: Mary Elizabeth (the
                    > others were Mary Frances,
                    > Mary Ann, and Elizabeth)
                    >
                    > Must be something in the DNA.
                    >
                    > Jim

                    =====
                    Paula Baker
                    Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

                    Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
                    http://companion.yahoo.com/
                  • larry ruff
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 22, 2003
                      We also have a name that has been carried down.
                      gggggGrandmother Mary Gray (b. 1692, VA)names her second son John GRAY
                      Edmunds (VA) after her Mother's maiden name--GRAY
                      ggGrandmother Chloe Eason (b. abt 1805, NC) names her first son:
                      gGrandfather James GRAY Ruff (1823, Greene Co., NC)
                      Father Veron GRAY Ruff (1916, Clay Co., AR)
                      Son Larry GRAY Ruff (that's me!)
                      Grand daughter Morgan GRAY Wheeler
                      Larry

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 23, 2003
                        It looks like a lot of families have picked a favorite
                        name. When a certain name is used over and over in a
                        family like Gray, it makes you wonder who this first
                        Gray was. That is very impressive to be able to carry
                        a name back that far.
                        In our family the common name is Jerry. The Jeremiah
                        that I am trying to connect our family to was a
                        constable and owned a large plantation in Nash Co abt
                        1730-1790. (My gguncle, my grandfather, my father and
                        little brother were named Jerry.) We called my little
                        brother Jay because my oldest sister was already using
                        the name as a nickname for Geraldine. When my little
                        brother went into the Army he took his name back, so
                        now I have a sister named Jerry and a brother named
                        Jerry. Ha, ha. Louise

                      • Evelyn Hendricks
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 23, 2003
                          Larry,,
                          I still have not found out any more the Ruff family. However, I noted your
                          Wheeler connection below. Are they the Wheelers from Greene Co.? My
                          grandfather was William Henry Wheeler from Greene Co.
                          Evelyn

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 23, 2003
                            Hi Evelyn,
                            I don't know where these Wheeler's came from. Tim wheeler is my
                            brother-in-law and he knows little or nothing about his ancestors.

                            By the way I took part in a Ruff DNA study. Found out that there is a good
                            chance we are related to the VA Ruff's, but definitely not related to the SC
                            Ruffs.

                          • D. Cooper
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 2, 2003
                              Jim, I saw somewhere that Jordan Everett died in Pitt Co. 1849. Istill believe that this is your man. Don Cooper.
                              One grandmother's name: Mary Elizabeth (the other was Martha Elizabeth)
                              One great grandmother's name: Mary Elizabeth (the others were Mary Frances,
                              Mary Ann, and Elizabeth)

                              Must be something in the DNA.

                              Jim

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor