Re: [genpcncfir] Simpkins

    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 10, 2003
      Louise,
      If this is the one, send this info back to me and I'll
      send you a picture of the census. This William is
      black and living with wife Amanda, I think. This is
      the 1920 census. If this is not yours, I can look
      under Bill Simpkins, etc.

      William Simpkins
      Age: 40 years
      Estimated birth year: 1879
      Birthplace: Georgia
      Race: Colored
      Home in 1920: Morehead, Guilford, North Carolina
      Home owned: View Image
      Sex: View Image
      Marital status: View Image
      Year of immigration: View Image
      Able to read & write: View Image
      Roll: T625_1302
      Page: 22A
      ED: 147
      Image: 0907

      --- Louise Champion <champright@...> wrote:
      > Sorry. Lula was my grandmother. b. Dec 23, 1887 and
      > d. Jan 26, 1970. I don't have the dates of her
      > father, William. He must have gotten married about
      > 1885 and born around 1865. That is just calulated.
      > Louise
      >
      > --- Paula Baker <paulabaker69@...> wrote:
      > > What years?
      > > --- Louise Champion <champright@...> wrote:
      > > > Do you know of a Lula Simpkins or her father
      > > William

      =====
      Paula Baker
      Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 10, 2003
        Louise,
        Here is another Simpkins, white, living with children
        including Sadie and two sons. No wife with him.

        E W Simpkins
        Age: 50 years
        Estimated birth year: 1869
        Birthplace: North Carolina
        Race: White
        Home in 1920: New Bern, Craven, North Carolina
        Home owned: View Image
        Sex: View Image
        Marital status: View Image
        Year of immigration: View Image
        Able to read & write: View Image
        Roll: T625_1293
        Page: 12A
        ED: 23
        Image: 0363

        =====

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 10, 2003
          Louise,
          Can you give me more info? william's wife's name?
          Other children, things like that. Was William in Pitt
          County in 1920? Where was he living when he died?

          =====
          Paula Baker
          Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • Louise Champion
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 11, 2003
            I only know that William Simpkins was her father's
            name. They were white so the second fellow could be
            him. When her first husband, Charlie Manning, died
            she married my grandfather, Jerry Robert Nichols, in
            their 50's. She was the only grandmother that I ever
            knew and a very sweet lady. My cousin David would
            probably know much more about the Simpkins family.

            She first married CHARLIE L. MANNING December 13,
            1908 in Pitt Co. NC, son of JOHN MANNING and LULA
            NICHOLS. He was born December 20, 1883, and died
            August 18, 1944 in Pitt Co. NC. Buried in the Reedy
            Branch cemetery. Their children were:
            1. JESSIE "Skin" MANNING, b.1902,d. wife Lovett.
            2. B.T. MANNING.
            3. BERTHA MANNING, b. 1917, m. BAKER.
            4. LINDSEY L. MANNING, b. 1913.
            5. EVELYN PAULINE MANNING, b. April 20, 1920; d.
            October 02, 1990.
            6. MARITHA T. MANNING, b. 1918.

            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 11, 2003
              I have Mannings too. Mine are descended from Thomas
              Bragg Manning. There were several Bertha Mannings.
              Mine also married a Willie Baker, but she was the
              daughter of Thomas Bragg Manning.

              Paula Baker

            • skipper4095386@cs.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 11, 2003
                Hi,
                Does your Nichols line include a Susan Elizabeth "Liza" Nichols b. 1819 in
                Pitt County that married Robert Harris b. 1803 Pitt County? He was the son of
                Charles Franklin Harris and Martha Tana "Loany" McLawhorn.
                Thanks,
                Judy
              • Louise Champion
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 12, 2003
                  Whitney (b.1778)and Mary Polly Nichols had a daughter
                  named Elizabeth. Her information is below:

                  ELIZABETH3 NICHOLS (WHITNEY2, THE1) was born July
                  05, 1814. She married CHARLES HARRIS October 27,
                  1830.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 12, 2003
                    Thanks for the info. I have suspected that Whitney was the father. I will
                    pursue this line of thought and research.
                    Thanks again,
                    Judy

                    NOBLES, SIMPKINS, SPRUILL, WHITFORD, HAWKINS, FRANKS, JONES, HARRIS, GARDNER,
                    GWALTNEY, NICHOLS
                  • Louise Champion
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 13, 2003
                      --- skipper4095386@... wrote:
                      > Thanks for the info. I have suspected that Whitney
                      > was the father. I will
                      > pursue this line of thought and research.
                      > Thanks again,
                      > Judy
                      >
                      > NOBLES, SIMPKINS, SPRUILL, WHITFORD, HAWKINS,
                      > FRANKS, JONES, HARRIS, GARDNER,
                      > GWALTNEY, NICHOLS

                      > Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME II
                      > CHRONICALS earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for
                      > detail instructions:

                      > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form,
                      > limited supply:

                      > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In
                      > Research

                      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                    • Rhet Wilkinson
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 13, 2003
                        Tell my about your Gardners, where they are from etc. I am researching my son-in-law's family of Gardners. Rhet Wilkinson
                        > Thanks for the info. I have suspected that Whitney
                        > was the father. I will
                        > pursue this line of thought and research.
                        > Thanks again,
                        > Judy
                        >
                        > NOBLES, SIMPKINS, SPRUILL, WHITFORD, HAWKINS,
                        > FRANKS, JONES, HARRIS, GARDNER,
                        > GWALTNEY, NICHOLS

                        > Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME II
                        > CHRONICALS earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for
                        > detail instructions:

                        > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form,
                        > limited supply:

                        > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In
                        > Research

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 13, 2003
                          I have Whitney Nichols in the census of 1850 living
                          next to my Arden Nichols. He is 72 years old. I and
                          others think that Whitney is Arden's uncle. Arden
                          moved to Beaver Dam (Bell Arthur) about 1850 from
                          Conetoe Creek. Other Nichols that lived in the
                          Conetoe Creek area are desendents of William Nichols
                          that came to America in 1686.
                          I am pretty sure that they are decendents of this
                          William Nichols of 1686, but haven't found the
                          connection yet. The connection would be Arden's
                          grandfather's name.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 13, 2003

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 13, 2003
                              Dear Louise, I've been doing research a couple of
                              years on the Nichols line--marriage into my
                              Worthington line as well as into my Braxton line. My
                              cousin Linda Nichols is the daughter of Leroy Nichols;
                              her mother's maiden name Willoughby;family from Bell
                              Arthur area; Arden a great uncle (I forget how many
                              "greats" he is). I believe that the maternal line is
                              also related to Pippin, that is intermarried to my
                              Cherry line (William Ormand Cherry--descent from an
                              Ormand daughter, paternal line back to William Ormand
                              and Elizabeth Faithful). Two Cherry daughters married
                              two of my McGowan great uncles, Franklin and Guilford
                              McGowan--brothers of Burton McGowan,my great
                              grandfather, whose daughter Sarah Frances married my
                              great grandfather Alfred Worthington. Their son Alfred
                              Worthington (1871-1938) married Sarah Frances
                              McGowan's cousin Jennie Secession McGowan, my maternal
                              grandmother. Linda Nichols descends from the
                              Worthington line through Mary Polly Worthington
                              daughter of Spire Worthington who married a Slaughter.
                              From that line she is related to the Braxton line
                              through the Cannon/Slaughter families. William Ormand
                              was from Ireland, was Duke of Ireland--I have this
                              from a recently published book by a William & Mary
                              professor who won a national award for his book on the
                              Carroll family. The Carroll family land adjoined that
                              of William Ormand. The Carroll family settled in
                              Calvert County, Maryland. William Ormand and Elizabeth
                              Faithful settled in the Norfolk, Virginia area in
                              1635. I'd appreciate your sharing any information you
                              have on the Nichols line and on any of my other lines.
                              Please feel free to correct any errors you might find
                              in any of my information--I'm human. Thanks so much,
                              Carol

                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 19, 2003
                                When Arden Nichols remarried after his wife died he
                                was about 65. He was blind. He still lived in Bell
                                Arthur on Nichols (Bell Arthur now) Road. He named
                                his new son and daughter Jeremiah and Lauran. William
                                Nichols of 1686 had a son named Jeremiah and his
                                wife's name was Lauran Flowers. This makes me think
                                that Arden Nichols is a decendent of Jeremiah Nichols
                                and Laura Flowers. The trate of naming the first son
                                after the child's grandfathers is a very prominent
                                trate in North Carolina.

                              • Evelyn Hendricks
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 19, 2003
                                  This custom of naming children for the grandparents has always made me
                                  believe that my Bailey Family is somehow related to the Parrot family. My
                                  great-grandfather named his oldest child (my grandfather) William Parrott
                                  Bailey. My great-grandfather was the son of Joseph Bailey whose ancestry I
                                  have not been to carry back any further. His wife was Ava. Nothing is known
                                  of her ancestry either, although there is a possibility that she was a
                                  Williams.My grandfather was born in the early 1870's. The next child was a
                                  son who was named Redden Ruff Bailey. The mother was the granddaughter of
                                  Redden Ruff. So it seems to me that they were following the naming pattern.
                                  Does this make sense to anyone else?

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 19, 2003
                                    My great, great grandfather was Jeremiah Worthington.
                                    Another Tarheel custom was to use biblical names. The
                                    senior Jeremiahs were most likely named for the
                                    prophet Jeremiah. In my Worthington line, I believe
                                    that my great, great grandfather was the first
                                    Jeremiah. The popular male name Shadrack or Shade came
                                    from the Bible--the book of Daniel, I think it was,
                                    with its story of Shadrack, Meshack, and Abenego (I
                                    may be spelling this latter name incorrectly because
                                    of my childhood wordplay on these names when I'd say
                                    to Mama: Shadrack, Meshack, and a bed I go.") Still
                                    another custom was to name children for literary
                                    figures and figures from Latin and Greek mythology and
                                    from history. My grandfather and great grandfather
                                    were named Alfred, and there are Alfreds sprinkled
                                    across generations in my Worthington line as well as
                                    an Alfred in my paternal line--where there is also my
                                    grandfather Elijah and his son my uncle Elijah.
                                    "Alfred" probably came from Alfred Smith, the first
                                    Catholic to run for the presidency of the United
                                    States. Grover Cleveland Worthington was named for
                                    President Grover Cleveland, of course. Frederick
                                    Augustus Worthington was named for Frederick the Great
                                    and Augustus Caesar--I imagine--and Uncle Jim (James
                                    Blaine Worthington) was named for another politician.
                                    Among the women, there were many Penelopes and
                                    Cinderellas and quite a few Marys and Elizabeths and
                                    Sarahs. Tarheels named children for geographical
                                    regions as well: for example, the middle name of my
                                    great uncle was "Craven" for Craven County; the common
                                    male name "Nashville" derived from Nash County, N.C.
                                    Other children were named for governors of North
                                    Carolina: Carr Scott, for example. In addition,
                                    children were named for favorite teachers: my mother
                                    was named for the teacher Clyde Thompson (a WOMAN);
                                    she said that many children of her generation both
                                    male and female were named for this beloved teacher of
                                    their parents. Then, of course, from generation to
                                    generation names were passed on from father to son, to
                                    nephew, to cousin and from mother to daughter, to
                                    niece, to cousin. So many times did this happen in all
                                    our families that it makes our research a much greater
                                    challenge than it might otherwise have been. A final
                                    twist is the custom of using nicknames and of calling
                                    men by their initials. Sometimes only the closest kin
                                    ever knew or perhaps remembered the given names of
                                    these kin. Later, Carol

                                    === message truncated ===

                                    http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 19, 2003
                                      Dear Evelyn, This makes sense to me. William in my
                                      families goes back to William Ormond who married
                                      Elizabeth Faithful. We have Williams in every
                                      generation down to the present day. We also have a
                                      Redden. Later, Carol