NEED HELP

  • linda bass
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2003
      All in-coming and out-going mail is checked by Norton Anti-Virus

      I am needing information on a Harriet Bass age 18, born 1870, who married John H. Griffin age 25, March 25, 1888, in Castalia Township, Nash County, NC. Harriet's mother was Celestia Ann "Puss" Bass. Father unknown. John's parents were David and Elizabeth Griffin. I would love to find any descendants they may have had. I can't look in the 1890 census and I've looked in the 1900, 1910 and 1930 census, but did not find their names. I don't know where to look now. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

      Linda Bottoms Bass

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
        Harriet Griffin
        Age: 60 years
        Estimated birth year: 1869
        Birthplace: North Carolina
        Relation to Head-of-house: Servant
        Race: White
        Home in 1930: Rocky Mount, Nash, North Carolina
        Occupation: View image
        Education: View image
        Military Service: View image
        Rent/home value: View image
        Age at first marriage: View image
        Parents' birthplace: View image
        Owned a radio: View image
        Image Source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Rocky
        Mount, Nash, North Carolina; Roll: T626_1709; Page:
        14B; Enumeration District: 36; Image: 0833.

        --- linda bass <Lou-BB@...> wrote:

        > All in-coming and out-going mail is checked by
        > Norton Anti-Virus
        >
        > I am needing information on a Harriet Bass age 18,
        > born 1870, who married John H. Griffin age 25, March
        > 25, 1888, in Castalia Township, Nash County, NC.
        > Harriet's mother was Celestia Ann "Puss" Bass.
        > Father unknown. John's parents were David and
        > Elizabeth Griffin. I would love to find any
        > descendants they may have had. I can't look in the
        > 1890 census and I've looked in the 1900, 1910 and
        > 1930 census, but did not find their names. I don't
        > know where to look now. Any help will be greatly
        > appreciated.
        >
        > Linda Bottoms Bass

        =====
        Paula Baker
        Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
          Linda,

          It says in the 1930 census for Nash Co NC that Harriet
          Griffin was a private nurse for this family:

          Stacey B. Walton and wife Irene G.

          Their two boys are very young, Marvin and Roy**

          Perhaps she was a nurse for the boys.

          Paula

          =====

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
            Paula,
            This what I have found thus far, thanks to Alexandria Wessendorf, in what
            she emailed me:
            Dear Linda

            I found the following:

            1900 Wilson Co NC Roll 1224 Book 2 pg 147a in Toisnot
            Township, Married 12 yrs
            Dwelling #179 #184 John Griffin 38 yrs 5/1862, Harriet
            E.30 yrs 6/1869, Roxy dau 11 5/1889, Charley 6,
            2/1894, Johnnie J. 1, 4/1899 Frank Griffin orphan 14,
            4/1886, 4 children 3 living

            1910 Wilson Co NC Roll 1137 Book 2 pg 174a Toisnot
            township, married 22 years
            John H. 48, Harriett 39, Charlie 17, Johnnie 11,
            Mattie 9, Tempie 6, 6 children, 5 living

            I could not find them in the 1920 Wilson Co Census

            I hope this helps you somewhat

            Alexandria Wainwright Wessendorf
            I have found the following:

            #1A. HARRIET13 M. BASS, (CELESTES ANN12, GEORGE
            WASHINGTON11, THEOPHILUS ORPHA10, NOAH9, ARTHUR8,
            EDWARD7, JOHN6, WILLIAM5, JOHN4 BASSE, NATHANIEL3,
            HUMPHEY2, WILLIAM1) B. either June 1869 or March 28, 1870,
            Nash County, NC, M. JOHN H. GRIFFIN, March 25, 1888, Castalia
            Township, Nash County, NC, performed by G. B. Bryant, JP.

            John H. Griffin was B. May 1862/1863.

            Notes for Harriet Bass Griffin: I didn't find a date that John H.
            Griffin
            died or if he had, but found a marriage certificate for Harriet
            Griffin age
            30, Toisnot TWP and Will Langley age 21, also Toisnot TWP. They
            were
            married December 17, 1910. By E.T. Braswell, Justice of the Peace,
            and
            witnessed by N.B. Winstead, H. Crumpler and Ed Evans. (I'm thinking
            I may
            have the wrong Harriet Griffin as it list her age as 30 and if she
            was born
            1869/70 she would've been 40 years old. Going to check this out
            soon in Nashville
            Reg. of Deeds Office. The marriage certificate didn't have her
            parents names, just
            listed as dead)

            Will's parents were W.T. and Lore Langley.

            Children born to Harriet M. Bass and John H. Griffin were
            #1a. Roxy Griffin B. May 1889
            #2a. Charley Griffin B. February 1894
            #3a. Johnnie J. Griffin B. April 1899
            #4a. Mattie Griffin B. Abt. 1901
            #5a. Tempie Griffin B. Abt. 1904

            This information was found in the 1900 and 1910 census, Toisnot Township,
            Wilson County, NC. The 1900 census also had a Frank Griffin listed as an
            orphan age 14, born April 1886.

            #1a. Roxy14 Griffin (HARRIET13 M. BASS, (CELESTES ANN12, GEORGE
            WASHINGTON11, THEOPHILUS ORPHA10, NOAH9, ARTHUR8,
            EDWARD7, JOHN6, WILLIAM5, JOHN4 BASSE, NATHANIEL3,
            HUMPHEY2, WILLIAM1) Roxy Griffin, age 17, born May 1889,
            Married Sidney Bailey, age 20, born sometime in 1886. They were
            married December 16, 1906, in Wilson County, by W.B. Williams,
            Baptist Faith, in the home of her parents. Witnesses were Anna
            Williams, David Bailey and Taton Strickland. Anna gave consent.

            #3a. John14 J. (Johnnie) Griffin (HARRIET13 M. BASS, (CELESTES ANN12,
            GEORGE WASHINGTON11, THEOPHILUS ORPHA10, NOAH9,
            ARTHUR8, EDWARD7, JOHN6, WILLIAM5, JOHN4 BASSE,
            NATHANIEL3, HUMPHEY2, WILLIAM1) was born April 1899 in
            Wilson County. At age 20, he married Lucille Jones, of Nash County,
            January 17, 1920. Marriage performed by J.A. Clark, JP in Wilson,
            NC.
            Witnessed by Charlie Edwards, Sudie Winstead and H.C. Parker.
            Her parents were W.F. Jones and Lugenia Jones.

            I could not find anything on the other three living children: Charlie,
            Mattie or
            Tempie. The 1910 census listed John and Harriet having 6 children, with 5
            living.

            I'm going to check what you emailed me tomorrow or Thursday. Thanks
            girlfriend.
            Linda Bottoms Bass

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
              Griffin, Dolphin Nash co., NC Jacob Griffin
              Temperance
              Griffin, Eliza Nash co., NC Jacob Griffin
              Temperance
              Griffin, Hardy Jr. Bef 1775 Edgecombe co., NC
              Hardy Griffin, Sr. Temperance Adkins
              Griffin, John 1833 Nash co., NC Jacob Griffin
              Temperance
              Griffin, Mariah Nash co., NC Jacob Griffin
              Temperance
              Griffin, Mary Nash co., NC Jacob Griffin
              Temperance
              Griffin, Newell Nash co., NC Jacob Griffin
              Temperance
              Griffin, Temperance Bef 1811 Nash co., NC
              Guilford Griffin Miss Tucker
              Griffin, Temperance 1845 Nash co., NC Jacob
              Griffin Temperance
              Griffin, Temperance 1875 Nash co., NC Jesse
              Griffin, Sr. Amanda

              =====

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
                Personal Information What to do next?

                Name: JOHNNIE DAVID GRIFFIN
                Age: 84 Years
                Death Date: 03 March 1988
                Place of Death: Rocky Mount (P), Nash, North
                Carolina
                Birth Date: 19 December 1903
                Gender: Male
                Race: White
                Marital Status: Married
                Hospital: General Hospital
                Bed Code: 100 Beds & Over
                Attendant: Physician
                Burial: Burial in state
                Father: GRIFFIN
                Place of Injury:
                State of Birth: North Carolina
                Residence: Edgecombe, North Carolina
                Social Security Number: 237300388

                View printer-friendly

                --- linda bass <Lou-BB@...> wrote:
> [...]
                > NOAH9,
                > ARTHUR8, EDWARD7, JOHN6, WILLIAM5, JOHN4
                > BASSE,
                > NATHANIEL3, HUMPHEY2, WILLIAM1) was born
                > April 1899 in
                > Wilson County. At age 20, he married Lucille
                > Jones, of Nash County,
                > January 17, 1920. Marriage performed by J.A.
                > Clark, JP in Wilson,
                > NC.
                > Witnessed by Charlie Edwards, Sudie Winstead
                > and H.C. Parker.
                > Her parents were W.F. Jones and Lugenia
                > Jones.

                > I could not find anything on the other three living
                > children: Charlie,
                > Mattie or
                > Tempie. The 1910 census listed John and Harriet
                > having 6 children, with 5
                > living.
                >
                > I'm going to check what you emailed me tomorrow or

                === message truncated ===

                =====

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
                  My Johnnie Griffins middle initial was J. and he was born 1901.
                  Thanks for information though. Linda Bottoms Bass

                • Oneof3magi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 12, 2003
                    Linda
                    e-mail me privately.