RE: [genpcncfir] HOWIE family info requested

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6, 2003
      HOWIE, SANDY
      State: NC Year: 1870
      County: Mecklenburg County Record Type: Federal
      Population Schedule
      Township: Crab Orchard Township Page: 116
      Database: NC 1870 Federal Census Index

      HOWIE, SANFORD G.
      State: NC Year: 1870
      County: Union County Record Type: Federal
      Population Schedule
      Township: Sandy Ridge Township Page: 645

      --- Victoria Hill <hillmarkaz@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > HOWIE and he was a Capt. in the Civil War. His obit
      > , (cut from a newspaper with no date on it), has
      > 'MONR' at the top of the column and the comment ' A
      > record from the Journal' at the top of the obit
      > itself. (Maybe this is Monroe County? How could I
      > find out if they have a newspaper called the
      > Journal? Do they keep records or copies of
      > newspapers from the 1800's?) Obit says he was
      > commissioned a II Lt of Co F. 35th N.C. Regiment,
      > October 6, 1861, promoted to Captain July 1, 1862
      > and captured March 25, 1865 at Ft Stedman near
      > Petersburg, VA. I do not have a death date. He was
      > married to Nancy Katherine Winchester I believe.
      > Below is the info I have on the HOWIE'S I knew.
      >

      > My grandmother, Ethel Mae (Stubbs) Howie, wrote a
      > list of her family spanning four generations. This
      > is a continuation of that document.
      >

      > Ethel married Harry Lee Howie, (born March 11, 1886)
      > on January 22, 1914 at Jas. W. Mc Intosh�s on
      > Thursday PM at 4:00. Wed by Rev. H. D. Hill. This
      > information comes from a family Bible. (Ethel�s
      > birth date was November 28, 1891.) They had six
      > children.
      >

      > Laurence Morrison born Wed AM at 8:00
      > December 9, 1914
      >
      > Edith Vivian born Thursday PM at 8:15
      > April 19, 1917
      >
      > Harry Lee Howie, Jr born Thursday AM at
      > 6:35 June 12, 1919
      >
      > Eugene Winchester born Tuesday AM at
      > 5:07 May 3, 1921
      >
      > Robert Charles born Sunday AM at 9:30
      > May 6, 1923
      >
      > Ethel Gene born Wed AM at 8:30
      > _______________, 1925. (Page is torn from Bible,
      > date is missing.)
      >

      > Eugene Winchester died Thursday PM at
      > 7:30 May 5, 1921
      >
      > Ethel Mae died_____________ in
      > __________________________________of pneumonia.
      >
      > Buried Bethesda Cemetery,
      > Pine Bluff, NC
      >
      > Harry Lee Sr died _____________1948 in
      > __________________________of a heart attack.
      >
      > Buried Bethesda Cemetery,
      > Pine Bluff, NC
      >
      > Edith Vivian Howie Harris died November 3, 1993 in
      > Phoenix, AZ of peripheral vascular disease. Buried
      > Bethesda Cemetery Pine Bluff, NC
      >
      > Laurence Morrison died May 16, 2001 in
      > ______________of ________________________
      >
      > Buried Bethesda Cemetery, PineBluff, NC
      >

      > Robert Charles died_____________________ in
      > __________, CN of a heart attack.
      >
      > Buried
      > ___________________________________
      >
      > Harry Lee Jr died July 27, 2003 of a
      > heart attack in ___________, SC.
      >
      > Buried Bethesda Cemetery,
      > Pine Bluff, NC
      >

      > Thank you for any help or pointers you can give me.
      > Does this email go to the whole group or just to you
      > if I am answering as a 'reply'?
      >

      > Victoria (HARRIS) HILL Phoenix, AZ
      >
      > HARRIS, DUNBAR (Hyde County, NC) HOWIE, STUBBS
      >

      > Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the
      > light!
      >

      > Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the

      === message truncated ===

      =====
      Paula Baker
      Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6, 2003
> [...]

        > Phoenix, AZ of peripheral vascular disease. Buried
        > Bethesda Cemetery Pine Bluff, NC
        >
        > Laurence Morrison died May 16, 2001 in
        > ______________of ________________________
        >
        > Buried Bethesda Cemetery, PineBluff, NC
        >

        > Robert Charles died_____________________ in
        > __________, CN of a heart attack.
        >
        > Buried
        > ___________________________________
        >
        > Harry Lee Jr died July 27, 2003 of a
        > heart attack in ___________, SC.
        >
        > Buried Bethesda Cemetery,
        > Pine Bluff, NC
        >

        > Thank you for any help or pointers you can give me.
        > Does this email go to the whole group or just to you
        > if I am answering as a 'reply'?
        >

        > Victoria (HARRIS) HILL Phoenix, AZ
        >
        > HARRIS, DUNBAR (Hyde County, NC) HOWIE, STUBBS
        >

        > Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the
        > light!
        >

        > Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the

        === message truncated ===

        =====

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 6, 2003
          Sanford G Howie

          Residence: Union County, North Carolina
          Occupation: Farmer
          Service Record:
          Enlisted as a Lieutenant 2nd Class on 04 October
          1861 at the age of 20
          Commission in Company F, 35th Infantry Regiment North
          Carolina on 06 November 1861.
          Promoted to Full Lieutenant 1st Class on 21 April 1862
          Promoted to Full Captain on 17 December 1862
          POW on 25 March 1865 at Fort Stedman, VA
          Confined on 31 March 1865 at Fort Delaware, DE
          Took Oath of Allegiance on 17 June 1865 at Fort
          Delaware, DE

          =====

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 6, 2003
            Howie Sanford G. F 35 North Carolina Infantry. 2
            Lieutenant Captain Confederate

            1880 United States Federal Census has 2 matches for:

            Sandy HOWIE 70 <1810> North Carolina Self Widower
            Black Male Crab Orchard, Mecklenburg, NC
            Sandy HOWIE 2 <1878> North Carolina Son Single

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 6, 2003
              Name Spouse Marriage Date County State
              HOWIE, N. S. WINCHESTER, G. R. 25 Nov 1869 Union
              NC
              HOWIE, S. M. WOLF, P. J. E. 4 Dec 1856 Union NC
              HOWIE, T. S. PENINGER, A. H. 1 Sep 1869 Union NC
              WINCHESTER, G. R. HOWIE, NANCY S. 25 Nov 1869 Union
              NC

              1880 census information

              Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age
              Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's
              Birthplace
              Ben J. HOWIE Self M Male W 23 NC Clerk
              In Store NC NC
              Ellen I. HOWIE Wife M Female W 20 NC
              Keeping House NC NC
              Harry H. HOWIE Son S Male W 1M NC NC
              NC

              Source Information:
              Census Place Lanes Creek, Union, North Carolina
              Family History Library Film 1254983
              NA Film Number T9-0983
              Page Number 400A

              =====
              Paula Baker
              Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

              http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
            • Victoria Hill
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 7, 2003
                Paula,

                THANK YOU, Thank You, thank you!!!! I couldn't believe the amount of information you gathered so quickly on my behalf and the time you took to type and forward it to me. I have so much to use now that I am feeling a little overwhelmed. The details you found about my family are amazing to me as they carry out the stories I heard when I was young and didn't care about this sort of thing. I will start following up the different URLs you sent and the references to online classes I got from someone else. You, Tracy and Jewelle have been most helpful and others have also sent suggestions or articles.

                Again, thanks for your time, energy and knowledge you put to use for me.

                Victoria Hill Phoenix, AZ
                HARRIS-DUNBAR Hyde County, NC
                HOWIE-STUBBS Union County, NC

                Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light!