Hinson Information

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2003
      http://www.spiritdesign.net/columbus/archives/online/smithspe.htm

      Boyce, William Hinson, Nancy Feb. 21, 1867 W. M. King, JP Pitt County
      Marriages-per PCFR site

      Wm. H. Hinson, Oct. 20, 1875 - Feb. 7, 1946
      Hannah J. Hinson, Sept. 20, 1891 �both buried in Winterville Cemetery per
      Mr. Jackson's list on PCFR site

      Wilbur Hinson and Family [not clear if this is a gravemarker or a comment by
      Mr. Jackson]
      Lue Ellen Hinson, Aug. 21, 1941 - Dec. 30, 1945-Grifton cemetery per Mr.
      Jackson's list on PCFR

      Pitt County Marriages per rootsweb link:
      http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/pitt/marriages/marrLgrooms.txt
      22 Nov. 1902 J.L. Little 24 Martha Hinson 18

      http://home.earthlink.net/~wspate/croom.html

      Paula Anne Baker
      paulabaker69@...
      Greene County NC

      Service. Try it FREE for one month! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
        Averett, Baker, Braxton,Cannon,Cox, Dail,Evans,
        Hardee, Jackson,May (still searching these
        connections--Lavinia and James May, 1850 census, with
        McGowan children in both their households), McGowan
        (and variant spellings), Nichols,Slaughter, Tripp,
        Worthington (and variant spellings). Carol
        Singh--csinghworthington@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
          I am also interested in other families related to the
          McGowans: Cherry, Teal/Teal. Specifically, John
          McGowan married Rachel Teal, and by her had all his
          children. Surviving him were Archibald D., Lemuel,
          Sr.,George, and William W. McGowan. Lemuel, Sr. and
          William W. were both my great grandfathers--Lemuel was
          the father of Jacky Ann McGowan (my grandmother) and
          the son of William W. (William Kinsey McGowan) was I
          am told Jacky's husband and father of my grandmother
          Jennie Secession McGowan. John McGowan married again
          after the death of Rachel. His second wife was
          Catherine Teel, a relative of Micajah Teel. Can anyone
          tell me who were the parents of Rachel and Catherine?
          Were they related in any way to each other? George
          after his father's death in a land record pays loving
          tribute to Catherine, his mother-in-law (Roger
          Kammerer's online Pitt County Deed Notes). Few
          stepsons make this effort even when they do have close
          ties with a step parent, so of course I am intrigued.
          I'm still working on family background here as I am
          with the Moore and Harris families who married
          McGowans. My Worthington families also married
          McGowans. Alfred Worthington married Sarah Frances
          McGowan (1847), Jacky Ann McGowan's cousin. Then their
          son, Alfred Worthington (1871) married Jacky's
          daughter, Jenny Secession McGowan--widow of John
          Baker.

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
            Dear Group, While many of my families were living in
            Pitt by 1850, they came from surrounding
            counties--among them Craven, Greene, Hyde,Lenoir, and
            Martin according to Mama. For whatever reasons,
            McGowans did not always marry in Pitt. They married in
            Lenoir. I have found no marriage record in Pitt for
            Jacky Ann McGowan and William K. McGowan. I have not
            had the opportunity to look elsewhere. I'd think the
            marriage must have taken place prior to 1880. Jennie
            Secession McGowan was born March 7, 1880--appears in
            the 1880 census in the household of Lemuel McGowan,
            Sr. along with her her mother Jacky as the
            one-year-old granddaughter of Lemuel Sr. I'm told that
            the family attended Parker's Chapel and that Jennie
            grew up in the Pactolus area. I don't know where any
            of Jacky's birth family was buried nor if Parker's
            Chapel had a cemetery. Are there any members of our
            group familiar with these parts or with access to
            birth records from the area? Jacky Ann McGowan's death
            certificate is in Pitt; she had made her home with
            Alfred Worthington and daughter Jennie in her old age
            and died June 18, 1925, widowed, in Pitt according to
            the death certificate. Burial is in the Carney Burial
            Grounds. Jacky's sister Jennie (as opposed to daughter
            Jennie) married Robert Carney (Hatton, maternal line),
            and Jacky was buried among them. To date, I've found
            nobody who knows of the Carney Cemetery--which may or
            may not have been in Pitt. Later, Carol

          • Evelyn Hendricks
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
              I have a Martha Sarah Hinson who was born 1 Feb. 1886. She was the daughter
              of Henry Jesse Hinson and Martha Ann Gay. Are they by chance the same Martha
              Hinson?
              Evelyn

              > Averett, Baker, Braxton,Cannon,Cox, Dail,Evans,
              > Hardee, Jackson,May (still searching these
              > connections--Lavinia and James May, 1850 census, with
              > McGowan children in both their households), McGowan
              > (and variant spellings), Nichols,Slaughter, Tripp,
              > Worthington (and variant spellings). Carol
              > Singh--csinghworthington@...
              > --- Paula Baker <paulabaker69@...> wrote:
              > >
              > http://www.spiritdesign.net/columbus/archives/online/smithspe.htm
              > >
              > > Boyce, William Hinson, Nancy Feb. 21, 1867 W. M.
              > > King, JP Pitt County
              > > Marriages-per PCFR site
              > >
              > > Wm. H. Hinson, Oct. 20, 1875 - Feb. 7, 1946
              > > Hannah J. Hinson, Sept. 20, 1891 -both buried in
              > > Winterville Cemetery per
              > > Mr. Jackson's list on PCFR site
              > >
              > > Wilbur Hinson and Family [not clear if this is a
              > > gravemarker or a comment by
              > > Mr. Jackson]
              > > Lue Ellen Hinson, Aug. 21, 1941 - Dec. 30,
              > > 1945-Grifton cemetery per Mr.
              > > Jackson's list on PCFR
              > >
              > > Pitt County Marriages per rootsweb link:
              > >
              > http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/pitt/marriages/marrLgrooms.txt
              > > 22 Nov. 1902 J.L. Little 24 Martha Hinson
              > > 18
              > >
              > > http://home.earthlink.net/~wspate/croom.html
              > >

              > > Paula Anne Baker
              > > paulabaker69@...
              > > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS
              > > in Pitt County NC and
              > > Greene County NC
              > > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC,
              > > GA, and LA

              > > Enjoy MSN 8 patented spam control and more with MSN
              > > 8 Dial-up Internet
              > > Service. Try it FREE for one month!
              > > http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

              > > Pitt County Historical Society:
              > >
              > > Submit your family for publication FREE in VOLUME II
              > > CHRONICALS earmarked for 2004/2005. Link here for
              > > detail instructions:

              > > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form,
              > > limited supply:

              > > join our dynamic group if you are interested in
              > > genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all
              > > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In
              > > Research

              > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

            • Phil James
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 4, 2003
                I believe these Hinson's are buried in the edge of Greene County. Old 264
                thru Marlboro after crossing the Greene County line and before you get to
                the new 264 there is a big curve where the old 264 used to go straight.
                Turn on that road heading towards Walstonburg, but not all the way to
                Walstonburg. Take the 1st left go past an old Primative Baptist looking
                church after that there is a road off to the left in a fork. Take that road
                and you will pass a old white house on your right just past that house is
                the cemetery easily seen from the road. If you go too far there will be a
                produce or truck farm on your left.

                If this is a family you are looking then continue down this road to the stop
                sign. At the stop sign a right will take you to Walstonburg and a left will
                head you towards Snow Hill. Turn left a couple of miles just before
                Castoria Crossroads there wiil be a cemetery on the left by the edge of a
                woods about 300 feet from the road. This is the older Hinson cemetery with
                the eariest buried there born in the 1700's.

                Also believe that Martha Gay Hinson's mother was a Webb from Edgecombe
                county.

                >From: "Evelyn Hendricks" <rebh@...>
                >To: <genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: Re: [genpcncfir] Hinson Information
                >Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:52:23 -0500
                >
                >I have a Martha Sarah Hinson who was born 1 Feb. 1886. She was the daughter
                >of Henry Jesse Hinson and Martha Ann Gay. Are they by chance the same
                >Martha
                >Hinson?
                >Evelyn

                MSN Messenger with backgrounds, emoticons and more.
                http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_customize
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
                  I was looking through the 1900 Greene Co census
                  yesterday and saw a William Hinson then a few pages
                  over a George Hinson. Just thought I'd mention it.

                  Paula
                  --- Phil James <phil1814@...> wrote:
                  > I believe these Hinson's are buried in the edge of
                  > Greene County. Old 264
                  > thru Marlboro after crossing the Greene County line
                  > and before you get to
                  > the new 264 there is a big curve where the old 264
                  > used to go straight.
                  > Turn on that road heading towards Walstonburg, but
                  > not all the way to
                  > Walstonburg. Take the 1st left go past an old
                  > Primative Baptist looking
                  > church after that there is a road off to the left in
                  > a fork. Take that road
                  > and you will pass a old white house on your right
                  > just past that house is
                  > the cemetery easily seen from the road. If you go
                  > too far there will be a
                  > produce or truck farm on your left.
                  >
                  > If this is a family you are looking then continue
                  > down this road to the stop
                  > sign. At the stop sign a right will take you to
                  > Walstonburg and a left will
                  > head you towards Snow Hill. Turn left a couple of
                  > miles just before
                  > Castoria Crossroads there wiil be a cemetery on the
                  > left by the edge of a
                  > woods about 300 feet from the road. This is the
                  > older Hinson cemetery with
                  > the eariest buried there born in the 1700's.
                  >
                  > Also believe that Martha Gay Hinson's mother was a
                  > Webb from Edgecombe
                  > county.
                  >

                  > >From: "Evelyn Hendricks" <rebh@...>
                  > >To: <genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com>
                  > >Subject: Re: [genpcncfir] Hinson Information
                  > >Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:52:23 -0500
                  > >
                  > >I have a Martha Sarah Hinson who was born 1 Feb.
                  > 1886. She was the daughter
                  > >of Henry Jesse Hinson and Martha Ann Gay. Are they
                  > by chance the same
                  > >Martha
                  > >Hinson?
                  > >Evelyn

                  === message truncated ===

                  =====
                  Paula Baker
                  Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

                  http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                • Evelyn Hendricks
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 5, 2003
                    I missed the beginning of this discussion. However, I recognize the cemetery
                    mentioned. Martha Ann Hinson's mother was Matilda Webb. Her father was
                    Bryant Richard Gay. She was my mother's aunt. Martha was born in 1847. She
                    married Henry Jesse Hinson in 1877. Henry Jesse was the son of Jesse Hinson
                    who was a big red-headed Irishman, according to his great-grandson.
                    Evelyn