Re: [genpcncfir] Puss Baker

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 14, 2003
      Dear Paula, Some Caraways lived in Pitt, near Ayden if
      my memory and information from a cousin serve me
      correctly. Maybe searching from that side of the
      family will uncover the trail--especially tombstone
      records since families tended to be buried among kin
      on one side of the family or the other. Also, check
      the Eastern and Daily Reflector online archives either
      through http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr (Pitt Co.
      Family Researchers' site) or through the Joyner
      Library in Greenville. I believe that you can also
      access other period newspapers like the ones from
      Tarboro and Ayden from Joyner. I forget all that
      Joyner does have in its archives, but that might be a
      start. Thanks so much for your helpfulness last year
      with my McGowan family and Baker family. Later, Carol

      === message truncated ===

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 16, 2003
        Dear Paula, By the way, my Cousin Louise Braxton was
        raised by the Carraways; they were relatives of hers.
        I do not know the exact kinship tie. In the household
        were half brothers, Frank and Nick (I believe the
        second one was named). She was a Clark from the
        Winterville/Ayden area. She is still living--on
        Mumford Road. She is the widow of Lester Braxton (d.
        1994), my daddy's first cousin whose father married my
        daddy's mother after both he and she were
        widowed--some time after November 1936 when my
        grandfather died. So Cousin Lester's father was my
        Uncle Goode (or Gude) and my stepgrandfather. I found
        out from online records and the tombstone that he was
        actually named James Elias and had had a brother Elias
        born some years before him. Where did Goode or Gude
        come from James Elias or Elias I wonder. In any event,
        his Social Security record online gives his name as
        simply Elias and his death (1968, I believe it was).
        Cousin Lester's father, this same Elias, and my
        grandfather Elijah Braxton were brothers; their father
        was also named Elias. There were other children
        including a sister named Julia who married George
        Forbes--whose parents I don't know. Anything you can
        add? I would appreciate it if you can. Thanks, Carol

        === message truncated ===

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • D. Cooper
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 17, 2003
          Paula; I went to school with an Allen Baker In Tarboro, N.C. who was the son of a Noah Baker Jr. I believe Don.
> [...]

          > >been the son of my James Baker of Greene Co because
          > in
          > >the 1840 census, an older son is shown for James
          > Baker
          > >but not in 1850. Only one son shown then.
          > >
          > >Paula
          > >--- Evelyn Hendricks <rebh@...> wrote:
          > > > My great-grandmother was the granddaughter of
          > James
          > > > Price and Martha. Her
          > > > mother was Nancy who married Matthew Caraway.
          > They
          > > > lived in Greene Co.
          > > > Here is the line:
          > > > James Price and Martha Morgan
          > > > Nancy Price and Matthew Caraway
          > > > Malvina Caraway and William Henry Wheeler
          > > > William Henry Wheeler, Jr. and Ida Gay
          > > > Ida Belle Wheeler and Wright Bailey
          > > > Evelyn Bailey and John Milton Hendricks
          > > >
          > > > I would be delighted if you could shed any light

          === message truncated ===

          =====
          Paula Baker
          Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Louisiana and

          http://shopping.yahoo.com

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Click here for current information on Pitt County Historical Society: http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 17, 2003
            I wish I could find out more about that family. The
            name Allen sounds right. That was a common name in
            Baker families in that area. There were several Noah
            Bakers, maybe a father and a son.

            Paula
            --- "D. Cooper" <dlcooper@...> wrote:
            > Paula; I went to school with an Allen Baker In
            > Tarboro, N.C. who was the son of a Noah Baker Jr. I
            > believe Don.

            === message truncated ===

            =====