Fw: Re: Family Tree Maker 11

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
      -------Original Message-------

      From: kakgkp
      Date: Friday, October 03, 2003 08:39:49
      To: genpcncfir-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: Family Tree Maker 11

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, JGrimes227@a... wrote:
      > Anything that has the word "Roots" in, makes me nervous. The
      original "Roots" program, one of the first computer programs for
      genealogy, was a nightmare of complexity, opaque instructions, there
      was no logic to anything, and was unbelievably keyboard intensive.
      And then you could loose all your input with almost no effort.

      Just FYI, for anyone who is interested, ROOTS eventually became
      Ultimate Family Tree, which was later discontinued by Broderbund.
      RootsMagic is a new program (about a year old) with no relationship
      whatsoever. It is written and maintained by the former author of
      Family Origins - a program also acquired by Broderbund which they
      chose not to continue.

      Not that I'm necessarily endorsing one software program over another -
      it really boils down to a matter of personal preference once you get
      down to the top ranking programs. Genealogy software has come a long
      way since the Roots program - it is amazing to see how it has changed
      just in the past 5 years!

      And yes, Family Tree Maker offers a free 30-day money-back guarantee
      on their program.

      Kimberly

      eMail Scan by NAV & Certified Virus Free

      .

    • Doris
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
        I use Ancestral Quest, and I like it a lot....one of the nicest things I've noticed is the tech help and all updates are free!!!

        It's the most user friendly I've found...it's my third program, but I'll stick with it...

        > Anything that has the word "Roots" in, makes me nervous. The
        original "Roots" program, one of the first computer programs for
        genealogy, was a nightmare of complexity, opaque instructions, there
        was no logic to anything, and was unbelievably keyboard intensive.
        And then you could loose all your input with almost no effort.

        Just FYI, for anyone who is interested, ROOTS eventually became
        Ultimate Family Tree, which was later discontinued by Broderbund.
        RootsMagic is a new program (about a year old) with no relationship
        whatsoever. It is written and maintained by the former author of
        Family Origins - a program also acquired by Broderbund which they
        chose not to continue.

        Not that I'm necessarily endorsing one software program over another -
        it really boils down to a matter of personal preference once you get
        down to the top ranking programs. Genealogy software has come a long
        way since the Roots program - it is amazing to see how it has changed
        just in the past 5 years!

        And yes, Family Tree Maker offers a free 30-day money-back guarantee
        on their program.

        Kimberly

        eMail Scan by NAV & Certified Virus Free

        .

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Click here for current information on Pitt County Historical Society: http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/

        Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

        GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

        ---

      • Rhet Wilkinson
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
          Where do you find it? Rhet

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
            You can get a trial of it...and purchase it if you decide to, all online.
            www.ancquest.com Same place you will go for all updates. And they have a help/support group...