RE: [genpcncfir] Family Tree Maker 11

  • Kimberly Powell
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
      Rhet,

      You might want to try RootsMagic. It is written by Bruce Buzbee, the
      person who wrote Family Origins. It has all of the functionality of FO,
      with a lot of added features. And you can download a free trial just to
      see if you like it. I have a review on my Web site if you're interested:
      http://genealogy.about.com/cs/softwarereviews/gr/rootsmagic.htm

      Family Tree Maker is also nice, but it has never been my favorite. It's
      source funtionality just isn't as good as some of the other programs. It
      excels at publishing, however. I haven't tried version 11. The lastest
      one I reviewed was version 10.
      http://genealogy.about.com/cs/softwarereviews/gr/ftm.htm

      Legacy Family Tree is another powerful choice and the basic version is
      FREE. It's hard to beat that!
      http://genealogy.about.com/cs/softwarereviews/gr/legacy.htm

      And I personally really like The Master Genealogist, but it has a steep
      learning curve and is a bit pricier than the rest.

      Hope this helps!

      Kimberly

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
        Family Tree Maker, other than the irritating fact that a new one comes out
        almost every year with some new addition. It's not expensive, it is very easy
        to use, it has an enormous user base so if you ever have any problems there are
        many who can help you. To get really good with it takes some additional time
        (don't they all), but you can be functional almost right away (given some
        basic computer skills). Anything that has the word "Roots" in, makes me nervous.
        The original "Roots" program, one of the first computer programs for
        genealogy, was a nightmare of complexity, opaque instructions, there was no logic to
        anything, and was unbelievably keyboard intensive. And then you could loose
        all your input with almost no effort. Family Tree - I have used now for quite
        some time and have NEVER LOST ANYTHING. To be able to say that about a
        computer program of any kind is almost the highest compliment one can make. There
        certainly are other programs out there, some with better features here and
        there - but family tree for windows is a VERY good choice - and if you asked
        around there are probably a hundred folks on the list who have recent versions
        that they have replaced that would be happy to send you their old one so you
        could could give it a test drive. (I think, but not sure, that Family Tree will
        take their software back if you don't like it - but you need to verify that.
        my considerably more than two cents worth.

        John B. Grimes
        jgrimes227@...
        Fairfax Station, VA 22039-2729

      • Jean
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
          I personnally have switched from Family Tree Maker to Legacy which I am
          really enjoying. It seems that every year Family Tree Maker was coming out
          with updates at a price and very little changes. Legacy does not charge for
          their updates and Legacy has so many good features.

          Jean
          jowgen@...
          We all have ancestors buried in our past

          > I have gotten an offer from Genealogy.com to purchase Family Tree Maker 11
          CD and book for 39.95. Do any of you use it and what do you think about it.
          Right now I am using FAmily Origins which is okay, but nothing special.
          Would like some input. Thanks Rhet

          > Click here for current information on Pitt County Historical Society:
          >
          > Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form:

          > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

        • Evelyn Hendricks
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
            It is remarkable that you have never lost anything in Family Tree Maker.
            For several years everything went along just fine. Then one day I opened it
            and it told me that it was corrupt and to use a backup. This has happened
            several times lately. It is also irritating that it backs itself up every
            time I open it just to check a name or something. Of course, I can turn off
            that feature but then if my file becomes corrupt I have to resort to the
            last backup I put on a disk. That backup may be a month old. It is an easy
            program to learn, but it does have its faults.
            Right now I am trying to learn to use Master Genealogists. It is an
            excellent program. It's capabilities are remarkable. However, there is a
            steep learning curve. It is easy enough to enter basic data. What I like
            about it most is that I can enter every little detail that I find right on
            the individual's "Person View."--where they attended school, their
            occupation, etc. all in the right date order. They do have an excellent
            support staff. Also, once you get the program it will be good for several
            years. You don't have to buy an update every few months.
            Evelyn

          • JGrimes227@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
              I have received the corrupted message a few times myself, but 90% of the
              time, all I do is reboot the machine and every thing is hunky dori again. I think
              it is because sometimes another program is using a common memory address or
              something and corrupts the Family Tree operating program. But, like I said,
              never have lost anything. Maybe I like Family Tree so much because when
              compared with Roots, it is something next to heaven. I do wish it had a few search
              features that I'd like, and then once you have become accustomed to a program
              and feel like it is doing OK, you are VERY reluctant to change (at least folks
              that got into the computer game from its infancy and had to suffer so much
              seem to be that way.) I went through that syndrome with word processors.
              Mastered Decision Processing on a Wang Word Processer, then when they went belly up,
              Mastered dot commands with WordStar, and fought like crazy not to move to
              WordPerfect. Could make WordPerfect do everything but vacuum the floor and poo
              poohed Word for a couple of years and now I have mastered Word as well. Would
              sure hate to go back. So call me hard headed, I stick with Family Tree
              untill somebody convinces me otherwise.

              John B. Grimes
              jgrimes227@...
              Fairfax Station, VA 22039-2729

            • Jack Gilbert
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 4, 2003
                See The Wall Street Journal. Section "B" Column 1, page 1 on Thursday
                October 2, 2003 for an evaluation,available in your local Library. Plus
                that's a good price. I'm using edition 9 now and am, will probably update
                when I get that price.
                Jack P Gilbert

                >From: "Rhet Wilkinson" <rhet@...>
                >To: <genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: [genpcncfir] Family Tree Maker 11
                >Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 21:24:37 -0400
                >
                >I have gotten an offer from Genealogy.com to purchase Family Tree Maker 11
                >CD and book for 39.95. Do any of you use it and what do you think about
                >it. Right now I am using FAmily Origins which is okay, but nothing
                >special. Would like some input. Thanks Rhet

                Instant message in style with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE!
                http://msnmessenger-download.com