Re: [genpcncfir] Family Tree Maker 11

  • Eckerd
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
      p.s. I don't know about the cd's, the ones my cousin got with hers really didn't tell you anything, and if it did you had to send for and buy more cd's. It might have changed since then. So check out just what the cd's contain.

      Linda

    • Kimberly Powell
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
        Rhet,

        You might want to try RootsMagic. It is written by Bruce Buzbee, the
        person who wrote Family Origins. It has all of the functionality of FO,
        with a lot of added features. And you can download a free trial just to
        see if you like it. I have a review on my Web site if you're interested:
        http://genealogy.about.com/cs/softwarereviews/gr/rootsmagic.htm

        Family Tree Maker is also nice, but it has never been my favorite. It's
        source funtionality just isn't as good as some of the other programs. It
        excels at publishing, however. I haven't tried version 11. The lastest
        one I reviewed was version 10.
        http://genealogy.about.com/cs/softwarereviews/gr/ftm.htm

        Legacy Family Tree is another powerful choice and the basic version is
        FREE. It's hard to beat that!
        http://genealogy.about.com/cs/softwarereviews/gr/legacy.htm

        And I personally really like The Master Genealogist, but it has a steep
        learning curve and is a bit pricier than the rest.

        Hope this helps!

        Kimberly

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
          Family Tree Maker, other than the irritating fact that a new one comes out
          almost every year with some new addition. It's not expensive, it is very easy
          to use, it has an enormous user base so if you ever have any problems there are
          many who can help you. To get really good with it takes some additional time
          (don't they all), but you can be functional almost right away (given some
          basic computer skills). Anything that has the word "Roots" in, makes me nervous.
          The original "Roots" program, one of the first computer programs for
          genealogy, was a nightmare of complexity, opaque instructions, there was no logic to
          anything, and was unbelievably keyboard intensive. And then you could loose
          all your input with almost no effort. Family Tree - I have used now for quite
          some time and have NEVER LOST ANYTHING. To be able to say that about a
          computer program of any kind is almost the highest compliment one can make. There
          certainly are other programs out there, some with better features here and
          there - but family tree for windows is a VERY good choice - and if you asked
          around there are probably a hundred folks on the list who have recent versions
          that they have replaced that would be happy to send you their old one so you
          could could give it a test drive. (I think, but not sure, that Family Tree will
          take their software back if you don't like it - but you need to verify that.
          my considerably more than two cents worth.

          John B. Grimes
          jgrimes227@...
          Fairfax Station, VA 22039-2729

        • Jean
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
            I personnally have switched from Family Tree Maker to Legacy which I am
            really enjoying. It seems that every year Family Tree Maker was coming out
            with updates at a price and very little changes. Legacy does not charge for
            their updates and Legacy has so many good features.

            Jean
            jowgen@...
            We all have ancestors buried in our past

            > I have gotten an offer from Genealogy.com to purchase Family Tree Maker 11
            CD and book for 39.95. Do any of you use it and what do you think about it.
            Right now I am using FAmily Origins which is okay, but nothing special.
            Would like some input. Thanks Rhet

            > Click here for current information on Pitt County Historical Society:
            >
            > Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form:

            > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

          • Evelyn Hendricks
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
              It is remarkable that you have never lost anything in Family Tree Maker.
              For several years everything went along just fine. Then one day I opened it
              and it told me that it was corrupt and to use a backup. This has happened
              several times lately. It is also irritating that it backs itself up every
              time I open it just to check a name or something. Of course, I can turn off
              that feature but then if my file becomes corrupt I have to resort to the
              last backup I put on a disk. That backup may be a month old. It is an easy
              program to learn, but it does have its faults.
              Right now I am trying to learn to use Master Genealogists. It is an
              excellent program. It's capabilities are remarkable. However, there is a
              steep learning curve. It is easy enough to enter basic data. What I like
              about it most is that I can enter every little detail that I find right on
              the individual's "Person View."--where they attended school, their
              occupation, etc. all in the right date order. They do have an excellent
              support staff. Also, once you get the program it will be good for several
              years. You don't have to buy an update every few months.
              Evelyn

            • JGrimes227@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
                I have received the corrupted message a few times myself, but 90% of the
                time, all I do is reboot the machine and every thing is hunky dori again. I think
                it is because sometimes another program is using a common memory address or
                something and corrupts the Family Tree operating program. But, like I said,
                never have lost anything. Maybe I like Family Tree so much because when
                compared with Roots, it is something next to heaven. I do wish it had a few search
                features that I'd like, and then once you have become accustomed to a program
                and feel like it is doing OK, you are VERY reluctant to change (at least folks
                that got into the computer game from its infancy and had to suffer so much
                seem to be that way.) I went through that syndrome with word processors.
                Mastered Decision Processing on a Wang Word Processer, then when they went belly up,
                Mastered dot commands with WordStar, and fought like crazy not to move to
                WordPerfect. Could make WordPerfect do everything but vacuum the floor and poo
                poohed Word for a couple of years and now I have mastered Word as well. Would
                sure hate to go back. So call me hard headed, I stick with Family Tree
                untill somebody convinces me otherwise.

                John B. Grimes
                jgrimes227@...
                Fairfax Station, VA 22039-2729

              • Jack Gilbert
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 4, 2003
                  See The Wall Street Journal. Section "B" Column 1, page 1 on Thursday
                  October 2, 2003 for an evaluation,available in your local Library. Plus
                  that's a good price. I'm using edition 9 now and am, will probably update
                  when I get that price.
                  Jack P Gilbert

                  >From: "Rhet Wilkinson" <rhet@...>
                  >To: <genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: [genpcncfir] Family Tree Maker 11
                  >Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 21:24:37 -0400
                  >
                  >I have gotten an offer from Genealogy.com to purchase Family Tree Maker 11
                  >CD and book for 39.95. Do any of you use it and what do you think about
                  >it. Right now I am using FAmily Origins which is okay, but nothing
                  >special. Would like some input. Thanks Rhet

                  Instant message in style with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE!
                  http://msnmessenger-download.com