Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Braxton, Parker, Tripp

  • RAYMOND D. PHILLIPS
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 30, 2003
      I am interested in Parkers of Pitt County. Mary Jane Parker married Joab
      Tyson and had my grandfather, Charles Tyson in 1865 before dying a few years
      later. I believe she was the daughter of James Parker born c. 1786 but have
      no proof. Census is very confusing due to conflicting ages. Any help would
      be appreciated.

      Margaret Phillips
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
        Dear Linda, Jesse Braxton is my kinsman too. That
        gives me two sets of Parker-Braxton relatives. Later,
        Carol

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
          Dear Steve, The Parker women Elizabeth and Rachel
          married my Braxton kin. Elizabeth married Lacy
          Braxton, and Rachel married Jesse Braxton. Like you, I
          am still piecing together relationships. From what I
          have learned, Lacy and Jesse Braxton were both most
          likely great, great uncles of mine. I descend from
          James Elias Braxton who had a brother named Elias. I
          knew that my great grandfather was also named Elias,
          but I did not know which Elias of the Pitt Co. Death
          Records he was. I was to learn that he was not in the
          Pitt Co. Death Records because he died in 1913, having
          been born in 1878. He is buried in the Hardee Williams
          Cemetery in Pitt County. Initially I had thought that
          my great grandfather Elias was the grandson of Council
          Braxton and son of Augustus Braxton who had three
          children: Elias, Arcena, and Frances. I do not know
          what happened to any of these three children because I
          have not accessed census records for Pitt later than
          1850 except for brief hours spent at the Library of
          Virginia here in Richmond, where I went each time with
          an unanswered question about one or another family
          member. By the time I got my turn at a microfilm
          reader, much of my day was gone. I am still fighting
          for research time between work and the classes I am
          taking. I would love to share information with you and
          to benefit from anything you can tell me. Thanks,
          Carol

          === message truncated ===

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • Eckerd
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 18, 2003
            Hi, Steve

            You said that Elizabeth Parker, wife of Lacy Braxton was not the sister of Frank and James as Elias states: � My grandfather Parker, I think, lived and died in Pitt County. My mother had two brothers and two sisters that I can remember, the brothers being Frank and James Parker, the sisters Sylva, who married Simon Hamilton and Rachel, who married a man by the name of Jesse Braxton. They moved to Tennessee in an early day.� Elias had to be only 4 years old when he left NC, and may have been wrong. Rachel and Jesse did move to Hawkins Co., Tn, I haven�t found Sylvia yet. Could there have been another Parker family that had a James, Frank, Sylvia, Rachel and Elizabeth as the children? I know a lot of families named their children the same as each others. I thought it was strange that Elias said that Rachel Parker married a man by the name of Jesse Braxton and didn�t name him as a relative. When you get a chance I would love to see your tree and Parker information. It might help
            me sort out who�s who and who�s not! Thanks for your help.

            . I have gone over the censuses for Parkers in Pitt Co. and came up with these:

            1810: Alexander, William, James

            1820: Archibald, William, James, Sary, , Elirander (Alexander?), Isaac

            1830: Isaac, Jonathon, John, Elizabeth, Archabald, James

            Also there is a John Parker in the list of Pitt County taxables in 1762-63, any idea if he figures in somewhere?

            Linda Eckerd

            *Parker, Braxton

          • Eckerd
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 18, 2003
              Don't know if this will help any, but I found these on the Pitt County web site while looking for my Parkers It looks like James Parker's wife was Sarah Tison

              186. Thomas Tison, dec'd, gave to Washington Tison, and Sarah, wife of James Parker, land bounded by land of Louisa, wife of Gideon Ward, and bounded by Margaret Tison; 1834 [GG, p. 213]

              1236. George Washington Parker, Thomas Tison Parker and Margaret Ann Walston, sell mother's interest in land of Margaret Tison, dec'd., to George W. Tison; 1843 [LL, p. 150?]

              I've just started looking for the Parker side of my family, Elizabeth Parker married to Lacy Braxton.

              Linda Eckerd

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 20, 2003
                Dear Linda, In one of the Pitt County Genealogical
                Quarterlies, there is the obituary of Jesse Braxton
                who served in the Confederacy. In another Quarterly is
                his Civil War pension application. Since this Jesse
                Braxton apparently lived all his life in Pitt, unless
                he had gone to Tennessee and later returned without
                Elias's knowing about it, then there must have been at
                least TWO men named Jesse Braxton. My own Cousin
                Lester Braxton has a son named Jesse, and other
                members of our family have named sons Jesse. That
                makes me think that if Rachel's husband was named
                Jesse Braxton, he likely had kinship ties with Elias
                of the 1911 letter. I think that the young age of
                Elias might account for the fact that he did not
                mention the kinship tie with Jesse. He may not have
                known it, of the fact that he (like me under similar
                circumstances) may simply have called him by his
                kinship tie through his marriage to Rachel and never
                even have given a thought to his relationship to Jesse
                but only to his relationship to Rachel. For example,
                until I was 11 years old, I called Aunt Doris "Aunt
                Doris" without ever thinking about addressing all her
                brothers and sisters as "Cousin." Then Mama explained
                cousin by birth, the daughter of Mama's cousin Letitia
                Worthington (paternal line). She did not go on to say
                that she was also my cousin through her maternal line
                as her father's mother was Penelope McGowan. So, she
                was DOUBLY my cousin. Then I learn later that this
                line was also related to my father's line through the
                Worthington/Slaughter/Dail intermarriages!
                Additionally, I learned only 5 years ago that Sarah
                Frances McGowan was my great grandmother. Mama and
                Uncle Mark ALWAYS called her "Aunt Sarah." That, I
                find, was because she was their aunt through the
                maternal line. However, she was their great
                grandmother through the paternal line! Small, small
                world. Later, Carol

                http://shopping.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 14 , May 4 7:27 AM
                  Dear Steve,Elias Braxton was the son of one of my
                  great uncles Lacey Braxton. Elizabeth Parker married
                  him. Jesse Braxton must have been another great uncle.
                  My line is John and Hannah parents of Lacey Braxton;
                  their son Council had a son Augustus whose son Elias
                  was my great grandfather--this Elias was born in 1863
                  and died 10/11/1925. He was the father of my great
                  grandfather, Elias Braxton who married Sarah Sutton.
                  This last couple were the parents of Elijah Braxton
                  (my grandfather), of Elias Braxton (my great uncle and
                  step grandfather), and of Julia Braxton who married
                  Joseph Forbes. I hope this information ties in with
                  yours. Later, Carol

                  === message truncated ===