Re: [genpcncfir] All is well after Isabel

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2003
      Dear Rhet, I'm reminded by your mention of damage to
      give a warning. One of the deaths here in the Richmond
      area in the aftermath of Isabel was that of a man in
      his 30's killed from the kickback of his electric
      powered saw--skill saw. It is correctly named. When
      that saw kicks back, it cuts whatever is in its path.
      The Times Dispatch all too vividly described this
      man's final moments. Then today one of our Security
      guards comes in with a horrible gash on his leg where
      his skill saw kicked back. Home alone, he had to move
      his tractor that was blocking his truck in order to
      drive himself to the emergency room. This man is a
      genius with woodwork and often brings his art to
      school to display. Skill saws have no respect for
      anyone regardless of his level of skill; maybe that is
      why they are called "skill" saws. I've done all my own
      sawing using an ordinary one-man saw despite the work
      because I do know how to use it and I know equally
      well that I do not have the knowledge and skill to use
      a skill saw. Add to that, the accident factor inherent
      in the skill saw, and I am not willing to take a
      chance. I want to beg any of you, regardless of skill
      level, who are using skill saws not to use them when
      working alone. The life you save may be your own. When
      weighing the risks, hire a professional rather than
      take chances. Your loved ones will also thank you.
      Later, Carol