Halifax County

  • Julian Byrd
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2003
      The NC Gazetteer says Halifax was formedin 1758, while Lefler's "History of NC" says 1759. This attachment explains the difference in the two dates.

      Julian

    • Charlynn Helms
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2003
        Julian - the list does NOT allow attachments (keeps the viruses away).
        Could you please repost the information in plain text?

        The NC Gazetteer says Halifax was formedin 1758, while Lefler's "History of
        NC" says 1759. This attachment explains the difference in the two dates.

        Julian

        ---
      • Julian Byrd
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2003
          The NC State Archives states that "Halifax was formed in 1758 from
          Edgecombe. The act was to become effective in January 1759".

          Julian
          > Julian - the list does NOT allow attachments (keeps the viruses away).
          > Could you please repost the information in plain text?

        • Rhet Wilkinson
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2003
            The county was formed in December of 1758 but the records began to be split
            in January of 1759. Rhet

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
              I am taking a geneology class taught by Margaret Hoffman. She gave us a chart of the origin of North Carolina Counties published by State Department of Archives and History. It lists Halifax County as being established by the assembly of 1758. Rhet