Re: [genpcncfir] Thanks to all

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23, 2003
      Dear Bob, A word about generators. We lost three
      citizens here in Richmond, Virginia to
      generators--sadly an 80+ years old couple. These
      people all died of carbon monoxide poisoning from
      their generators with the result that the
      Times-Dispatch wrote an article inquiring whether our
      citizens had lost their common sense with the storm
      (yesterday's Times-Dispatch). I'm sure that some of
      the remarks were acutely painful to relatives of the
      deceased. It's of value when a newspaper warns people
      or cautions them about hazards but to chastize in
      cases like these is unfortunate. My family (where I do
      private duty) borrowed a generator--gasoline
      powered--because our patient is oxygen dependent and
      was beginning to suffer to the point where we were
      considering hospitalizing him. After running the
      generator for about four hours, the dad discovered
      that it was leaking gasoline. By grace of God, he
      discovered it before there was a fire. We were in an
      upstairs room directly above the deck on which the
      generator was running. Like Richmond and Henrico,
      Chesterfield County had no water for putting out
      fires. We'd have had to let her rip. People are human
      and cannot foresee every consequence of their actions.
      The least we can do is to be charitable and not add to
      a victim's distress. For the rest, please be aware
      that technology can be a mixed blessing, and use
      caution whenever utilizing alternative sources of
      power. Close monitoring and adequate ventilation in
      the presence of power-generating equipment are
      essentials. I'm hoping as reports of storm damage keep
      coming through that each and everyone of you is safe
      and that any who have suffered losses finds comfort in
      the love and goodness of others who reach out and lend
      support. Later, Carol

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com