Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Dixon/Dickson in Edgecombe/Halifax counties

  • Rhet Wilkinson
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 11, 2003
      Origionally there was no Halifax County. It was all Edgecombe County. Don't have the exact date comitted to memory, but will let you know when what is now Halifax County was formed from Edgecombe. Rhet
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 11, 2003
        Will get back to you on this. We have an outstanding genealogy section of our county library in Halifax as well as very knowledgable people to help you. Rhet
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 11, 2003
          Halifax county was formed from Edgecombe in Dec of 1754.

          Jean
          jowgen@...
          We all have ancestors buried in our past

          > Origionally there was no Halifax County. It was all Edgecombe County.
          Don't have the exact date comitted to memory, but will let you know when
          what is now Halifax County was formed from Edgecombe. Rhet

        • Gordon Dickson
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 11, 2003
            Thanks, Jean, I'll keep that in mind. (Earlier, I was thinking that
            my ancestors moved from Edgecombe county, but it's more likely that
            Edgecombe county moved right out from under them!) :) By the way, is
            this date in dispute? It seems to be different from the one listed at
            http://www.rootsweb.com/~nchalifa/?sourceid=00228464118681088743
            Sincerely, Gordon

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Jean
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 11, 2003
              According to the "Ninth Edition of the Handy Book for Genealogist" Halifax
              Co was formed from Edgecombe 12 Dec 1754.

              Edgecombe was formed from Bertie 4 April 1741.

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 11, 2003
                I was thinking it was 1756 or 1758. Will check on it. Rhet

                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 11, 2003
                  A great website is www.segenealogy.com/northcarolina/nc_maps.htm. Click on County Formation Map 1664-Present Day. There you can see the progression of all the counties by clicking on each year and printing them out is a helpfor laying them out. Down in the lower end of Halifax County some "giving back" was done as you will see. Rhet

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 11, 2003
                    According to the site I just sent you, Halifax County was formed from Edgecombe Co. in 1758. I will check my books to verify that, but I believe that it is correct. Rhet

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 12, 2003
                      Rhet,

                      It looks as though whom do you believe the "Red Book" which says that
                      Halifax was formed in 1758 or the "Handy Book" which gives the date as 12
                      December 1754. I would tend to go with the exact date of 12 December 1754,
                      but that is only my opinion.

                      Does anyone have documented proof??

                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 12, 2003
                        Jean,
                        What exactly are the "Red Book" and the "Handy Book?" I'm sorry I'm
                        not familiar with that terminology.---Gordon

                        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Jean" <jowgen@e...> wrote:
                        > Rhet,
                        >
                        > It looks as though whom do you believe the "Red Book" which says
                        that
                        > Halifax was formed in 1758 or the "Handy Book" which gives the
                        date as 12
                        > December 1754. I would tend to go with the exact date of 12
                        December 1754,
                        > but that is only my opinion.
                        >
                        > Does anyone have documented proof??
                        >
                        > Jean
                        > jowgen@e...
                        > We all have ancestors buried in our past

                      • Rhet Wilkinson
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 12, 2003
                          I also have no knowledge of the Red Book or the Handy Book. The map site lists 1758. Abstracts of the Wills of Edgecombe County North Carolina 1733-1756 By Ruth Smith Williams and Margarette Glenn Griffin has an introducation that states On page xiii, "On December 8, 1758, this same line served to divide the newly created Halifax County and Edgecombe Parish on the north from Edgecombe County and St. Mary's Parish on the south. All the Edgecombe KCounty records prior to January 1, 1759, remained in the old Court House at Halifax, and those beginning at a later date soon setled down at Tarboro (with the exception of those that have been deposited lately in the North Carolina State Archives at Raleigh). In Abstracts of Deeds Edgecombe Precinct Edgecombe Conty North County 1732 through 1758 as found in Halifax County North Carolina Public Registry Deed Books 1-2-3-4-5-6 by Margaret M. Hoffman states that records prior to 1759 within the huge are of Edgecombe are in the public regiestry of Halifax county since the Edgecombe court were in what is now Halifax County.
                          I will be attending the Halifax County Historical Association next Friday, Sept 19 where the topic will be "This and That of Halifax" and is listed as being little knowing facts and information about Halifax and Halifax County. I will be sure to find out a definitive answer to the question at hand. Rhet

                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 14, 2003
                            Gordon - I have three more sources that say Halifax County was formed in 1758 from Edgecombe so I figure that is probably the date. I will post the exact quotes on that because I think that they have some really interesting information for people interested that this entire area going back to the 1700s. Just don't have time to attend to that right now since I have a husband with severe back problems who needs attention. Best to all and hope no one is going to be in the path of the latest hurricane. Rhet