Remembering the tobacco farm, and our ancestors

  • Bob Forbes
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4 8:05 PM
      Thanks folks. I was fishing a little for this kind of validation when I made the 'off topic' reference in the intro to my story. By doing so you've encouraged me to write down a few more stories when time and circumstance permit, for like you I believe that birth & death dates don't mean a lot without knowing some of the adventures and struggles in between.

      I've always had somewhat of an interest in our ancestors, but that interest jumped to another level about 3 years ago when I read in Pitt County Genealogical Quarterly (Nov.2000) a letter written by my gr-gr(etc)-uncle, Archibald Forbes, on Sept. 7, 1837, from his homeplace in Pitt County (likely the very spot where I grew up) to his young wife & two daughters in Hinds County, Mississippi, where he was in the process of moving. The letter was not only full of feelings and emotions one would only share with a loved one, but I could even detect some of the unique words and phrases that I had heard come from my own father's mouth and nowhere else, which told me with absolute certainty I was related to and somehow bonded with this man who was writing over a 100 years before I was born, and only one generation after the very birth of this country. His father and my 3-gr-grandfather was patriot Arthur Forbes (~1748-1823), who was a Lieutenant in the Rev. War and afterward was elected to represent Pitt County in the first NC Constitutional Convention in Hillsborough, where he voted against the first draft of the US Constitution, because he was a staunch anti-federalist and that first draft didn't contain a Bill of Rights! Once again, I feel the blood of my ancestors coursing through my veins... and I have this in common with most of you!

      So in a future posting I hope to transcribe Arthur Forbes' will written in 1823, revealing not just the posessions of his earthly life, but also tidbits of how he felt about his seven living children from two wives, and the legacy he hoped to pass on to his descendants. And I'll attempt to connect the dots from people mentioned in the 1837 letter by his youngest son Archibald, to some of your ancestors, and perhaps even begin with your help to uncover the mystery of Archibald's untimely death at the young age of 26 on March 13, 1838, only one day before his only son was born!

      So thanks again, and stay tuned...

      Bob Forbes
      bforbes@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10 1:10 PM
          Dear Bob, I'm related to the Forbes line through
          Elizabeth Forbes, who married my several times great
          grandfather Jeremiah Worthington. I was born on March
          13! Like you, I've been deeply touched and
          simultaneously taken both backward and forward in time
          through the stories of our kin and through meeting the
          wonderful relatives and friends I've met through this
          group. Another Alfred Forbes was my classmate at
          Winterville Elementary School. Like you, I've always
          felt a sense of place, of belonging, on the lands of
          my ancestors. Every time I return to Pitt, it's as
          though I'm picking up right where I left off
          yesterday. My relatives and I (even distant ones) can
          sit and relate without even saying a word--we're just
          so in tune with one another's thoughts and feelings,
          it's like being in each other's skin. To me, it's so
          incredible--mystical, I guess the ancients would call
          it--like the sacred circle of the Indians. I'll try to
          find out whatever I can about your (probably "my" as
          well) ancestor's early death. Later, Carol

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com