Re: [genpcncfir] Remembering the tobacco farm

  • Trish Worthington Cobb
    Message 1 of 58 , Sep 3, 2003
      You are so right, John.
      It is the stories and the oral history, the family legends and myths,
      that color the pages of the names and dates we so diligently gather.
      While we have a compulsion to connect as many ancestors as we can (not
      unlike any puzzle solving addiction), the facts mean nothing without
      the stories to paint a picture of the lives of the people.
      When the stories are missing, we must read between the lines to imagine
      the pictures of our ancestors' lives. In order to be able to do that,
      we must learn about the history, economy, society and politics of the
      times in which they were living.
      Trish

      On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 10:10 PM, JGrimes227@... wrote:

      > I sure stirred up a nest of something when I brought up the stories I
      > heard
      > about tobacco making (at least some) folks sick. That was about a
      > month ago.
      >
      > Anyway, I sure enjoyed Bob Forbes' reminesences about his three years
      > primin', pullin', or breakin' tobacco. It certainly had the ring of
      > hard experience
      > - and well written as well.
      >
      > Off Topic? I hardly think so! These kinds of stories bring the
      > character of
      > our relatives past into full life - the smells, the dew on the tobacco
      > fields, the hard work and heat, the life -- all these kinds of stories
      > are what
      > bring out the real reason (for me anyway) of messing with all this
      > Genealogy. I
      > got started in it because of the family connection with the Civil
      > War/War
      > Between the States and I really enjoyed learning about that war
      > through my Great
      > Grandfather's experiences - he was alot more than another entry on the
      > family
      > tree. Off topic? I hardly think so.
      >
      > Thanks Bob for sharing your story. It was great!
      >
      > John B. Grimes
      > jgrimes227@...
      > Fairfax Station, VA 22039-2729

      > ---------------------~-->
      > Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
      > Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/ymOolB/TM
      > ~->
      >
      > Click here for current information on Pitt County Historical Society:
      >
      > Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form:
      > Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

      > group if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in
      > Pitt and all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties.
      > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Rhet Wilkinson
      Message 58 of 58 , Sep 4, 2003
[...]