US Steamer Huron Court of Inquiry

  • BJMarkland@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      I have just uploaded the transcription of the Court of Inquiry into the
      shipwreck of the U.S. Steamer Huron on the North Carolina coast 11/24/1877. If you
      have been to Nags Head, NC you will have seen the State Road Marker on
      Highway 12 just south of Whalebone Junction.

      I have more work to do on it, such as breaking the one document into separate
      documents reflecting each day in court, as well as find some more proofing
      errors. If anyone spots anything questionable, drop me a line and I will verify
      it against the master copy. One note: this was transcribed from the Senate
      Executive document and not the original Navy records, thus there are several
      typos in the master document I used.

      I have several newspaper articles I wish to transcribe and add to this
      section as well as finding a picture of either the Huron or one of her sister ships
      and if lucky, some architectural drawings (not really detailed) showing the
      location of things on the ship, as well as the chart used in evidence in the
      C.O.I..

      The document is located under the NEW section at my site, the URL is below
      within brackets:

      [http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~familyinformation/%5d

      Enjoy,

      Billy

    • JGrimes227@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2003
        In a message dated 9/2/2003 4:41:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        BJMarkland@... writes:

        > [http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~familyinformation/%5d

        What a very interesting lot of information you have put together - very nice
        indeed. Thanks for sharing.

        John B. Grimes
        jgrimes227@...
        Fairfax Station, VA 22039-2729