Re: [genpcncfir] Christopher Harrell Plantation

  • Jo Webb
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
      Is this the Christopher Harrell you are referring to?

      STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA
      EDGECOMBE COUNTY

      IN THE NAME OF GOD, AMEN.
      I Christopher Harrell of the County of Edgecombe and State of North Carolina
      being in a low state of health, but sound in mind and perfect and disposing
      memory. But calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is
      once appointed for all to die, do make ordain and confirm this to be my last
      will and testament, whereas I dispose of what it hath pleased God to bestow
      upon me of worldly goods. First I submit my body to the earth and my soul to
      God that gave it, and my worldly estate in the following manner.

      Item 1 I lend unto my beloved wife Margaret Harrell during her natural
      life or widowhood three Negroes to wit: Frank, Harmom, and Eady. Two head of
      horses, one named Buzzard and the other a sorrel colt. Three cows and calves
      if they have any, all my house hold and kitchen furniture.

      Item 2 It is my will and desire that three hundred dollars shall be left in
      the hands of my executor for the benefit of supporting Elizabeth Cherry in
      such necessary as he may think proper and to be put to that use and no
      other,
      and that my executor shall be entitled to the interest of the money for his
      trouble.

      Item 3 It is my will and desire that Lewis Harrell and Tamsy his wife shall
      have the benefit of the track of land whereon they now live. Beginning at a
      maple turning North to a water oak, Jesse Harrells corner then East to a
      pine, Hardys corner then South to a holly then West to the first station
      containing one hundred acres more or less and after the death of my son
      Lewis
      Harrell and Tamsy his wife I give and bequeath the above mention land to the
      lawful heirs of Lewis Harrell forever.

      Item 4 I give and bequeath unto my son David Harrell one track of land
      beginning at a maple in the edge of the Hardy swamp then turning East to a
      corner in William Harrells line, then turning with his line to the road then
      with the road to Jesse Harrells line then with his line to the road then
      with
      the road to the beginning containing one hundred acres more or less to him
      and his heirs forever.

      Item 5 It is my will and desire that three hundred dollars shall be left in
      the hands of my executor for the benefit of supporting my daughter Sally
      Brown and her heirs in such necessities as he may think proper and to be put
      to that use and no other and my executor shall be entitled to the interest
      of
      the money for his trouble, and also all the money owing to me by Theophilus
      Brown to be placed in the same manner if ever collected, but not to be
      collected unless a sale is made by others.

      Item 6 I give and bequeath unto my daughter Martha Moore four hundred
      dollars to her and her heirs forever.

      Item 7 I give and bequeath unto my daughter Lucy Leigh four hundred dollars
      to her and her heirs forever.

      Item 8 I give and bequeath unto my daughter Polly Leigh four hundred
      dollars to her and her heirs forever.

      Item 9 I give and bequeath unto my daughter Nancy Harrell four hundred
      dollars to her and her heirs forever.

      Item 10 I give and bequeath unto my daughter Rebecca Moore four hundreds to
      her and her heirs forever.

      Item 11 I give and bequeath unto my four grandchildren to wit: Martha
      Harrell, Lewelling Harrell, Margaret Harrell and Lewiza Harrell ten dollars
      each to them and their heirs forever.

      Item 12 It is my will and desire that all my estate both real and personal
      that I have not already exposed of shall be sold on a credit of six months
      and after all my just debts are paid and the above mentioned sums are paid
      over the balance of the funds will be equality divided between lawful named
      heirs. Jesse Harrell, David Harrell, Martha Moore, Lucy Leigh, Polly Leigh,
      Nancy Harrell, Rebecca Moore, Sally Brown, Elizabeth Cherry, William
      Harrell,
      and Lewis Harrell, and if their is more than a will, make them up six
      hundred
      dollars, then Levi Harrell comes in for an equal part of the over plus with
      the other heirs.

      Item 13 I give and bequeath unto my son Levi Harrell six hundred dollars
      which he has already had and the deed in trust I hold against him to be
      given
      up and the funds of the overplus that comes to Elizabeth Cherry and Sally
      Brown remains in the hands of my executor as above described, and if
      Elizabeth Cherry dies before she receives the benefit of her share the
      remaining part of to be equally divided amongst all my heirs and if Sally
      Brown dies before she receives the benefit of her share the remaining part
      goes to her heirs forever. I also give and bequeath one feather bed to
      William Harrell. I also give and bequeath David Harrell one feather bed. I
      also give and bequeath Nancy Harrell one feather bed, and it is my will and
      desire at the death of my wife Margaret Harrell all the property I have
      loaned to her shall be sold and equally divided among all my heirs that is
      Elizabeth Cherry, Lewis Harrell, Jesse Harrell, Sally Brown, David Harrell,
      Levi Harrell, Martha Moore, Lucy Leigh, Polly Leigh, Nancy Harrell, Rebecca
      Moore, and William Harrell or at any time when she sees proper in
      delinguishing her right. I do nominate ordain and appoint Jesse Harrell my
      whole and sole executor of this my last will and testament. Vowing and
      confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament as witness
      whereof I set my hand and seal this eighteenth day of October one thousand
      eight hundred and forty three.

      Christopher Harrell (Seal)

      Witness:
      Eaton Cobb
      Joseph Cobb

      Edgecombe County Court}
      February term 1844} The forgoing paper writing purposeing to be the
      last will and testament of Christopher Harrell (dec.) was exhibited in open
      Court for probate, and it execution duly proven by the oaths of Eaton Cobb
      and Joseph Cobb the subscribing witnesses thereto, and ordered to be.
      Whereupon Jesse Harrell the executor named in said will appears in open
      Court and qualifies as such. 1844

      Jn Norfleet (Clerk)

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
        Yes, this is exactly the Christopher Harrell I am referring to. I
        believe his son David is my well-documented gggrandfather.

        I have seen the will you posted many times, and although it mentions
        his children, of course it does not mention his parentage.

        I saw a document which stated that in 1801, Pitt county gave some
        land to Edgecombe county "up to the Christopher Harrell plantation"
        which leads me to believe that he was originally in Pitt, but ended
        up in Edgecombe county, because he suddenly appears on the 1810
        Edgecombe County Census.

        At any rate, I was wondering if anyone had information on him or his
        parentage besides the will that you posted. Thank you for your reply.

        R. Kevin Harrell
        http://www.harrelldna.com
      • feonadorf@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
          R Kevin,

          Is this the same Christopher that married Lezinia May, and had daughter
          Martha Harrell?

          Lisa

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2003
            Dear Cousin Lisa, Who was the Elizabeth Cherry
            mentioned in that will? Is she related to our Cherry
            family? Later, Carol

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2003
              Emily Carol,

              I am not sure who she is.Yet.

              Cousin,Lisa

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 2003
                Thanks. I'll await further information. I'm figuring
                it would be odd if there were a second line of the
                Cherry family in that close proximity to us. Later,
                Carol

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com