Christopher Harrell Plantation

  • kevinhnc
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
      Hello,

      I just found out while researching my family line that Pitt County
      actually gave Edgecombe county some land in 1801 which mentions the
      Christopher Harrell plantation. I *think* that this plantation was
      in Pitt county and ended up in Edgecombe county, because Christopher
      Harrell magically appears in the 1810 Census for Edgecombe county.
      He is nowhere to be found in the census before this time.

      I'm not actually sure how he ended up with his land. He was
      adjacent to Cobbs, Mayos, Cherrys, etc., and actually married
      Margaret Cherry.

      Does anyone have any information on Christopher Harrell, his
      plantation, or his lineage?

      Thanks so much,
      R. Kevin Harrell
      Coordinator, Harrell Family Surname DNA Project
      http://www.harrelldna.com
    • Jo Webb
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
        Is this the Christopher Harrell you are referring to?

        STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA
        EDGECOMBE COUNTY

        IN THE NAME OF GOD, AMEN.
        I Christopher Harrell of the County of Edgecombe and State of North Carolina
        being in a low state of health, but sound in mind and perfect and disposing
        memory. But calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is
        once appointed for all to die, do make ordain and confirm this to be my last
        will and testament, whereas I dispose of what it hath pleased God to bestow
        upon me of worldly goods. First I submit my body to the earth and my soul to
        God that gave it, and my worldly estate in the following manner.

        Item 1 I lend unto my beloved wife Margaret Harrell during her natural
        life or widowhood three Negroes to wit: Frank, Harmom, and Eady. Two head of
        horses, one named Buzzard and the other a sorrel colt. Three cows and calves
        if they have any, all my house hold and kitchen furniture.

        Item 2 It is my will and desire that three hundred dollars shall be left in
        the hands of my executor for the benefit of supporting Elizabeth Cherry in
        such necessary as he may think proper and to be put to that use and no
        other,
        and that my executor shall be entitled to the interest of the money for his
        trouble.

        Item 3 It is my will and desire that Lewis Harrell and Tamsy his wife shall
        have the benefit of the track of land whereon they now live. Beginning at a
        maple turning North to a water oak, Jesse Harrells corner then East to a
        pine, Hardys corner then South to a holly then West to the first station
        containing one hundred acres more or less and after the death of my son
        Lewis
        Harrell and Tamsy his wife I give and bequeath the above mention land to the
        lawful heirs of Lewis Harrell forever.

        Item 4 I give and bequeath unto my son David Harrell one track of land
        beginning at a maple in the edge of the Hardy swamp then turning East to a
        corner in William Harrells line, then turning with his line to the road then
        with the road to Jesse Harrells line then with his line to the road then
        with
        the road to the beginning containing one hundred acres more or less to him
        and his heirs forever.

        Item 5 It is my will and desire that three hundred dollars shall be left in
        the hands of my executor for the benefit of supporting my daughter Sally
        Brown and her heirs in such necessities as he may think proper and to be put
        to that use and no other and my executor shall be entitled to the interest
        of
        the money for his trouble, and also all the money owing to me by Theophilus
        Brown to be placed in the same manner if ever collected, but not to be
        collected unless a sale is made by others.

        Item 6 I give and bequeath unto my daughter Martha Moore four hundred
        dollars to her and her heirs forever.

        Item 7 I give and bequeath unto my daughter Lucy Leigh four hundred dollars
        to her and her heirs forever.

        Item 8 I give and bequeath unto my daughter Polly Leigh four hundred
        dollars to her and her heirs forever.

        Item 9 I give and bequeath unto my daughter Nancy Harrell four hundred
        dollars to her and her heirs forever.

        Item 10 I give and bequeath unto my daughter Rebecca Moore four hundreds to
        her and her heirs forever.

        Item 11 I give and bequeath unto my four grandchildren to wit: Martha
        Harrell, Lewelling Harrell, Margaret Harrell and Lewiza Harrell ten dollars
        each to them and their heirs forever.

        Item 12 It is my will and desire that all my estate both real and personal
        that I have not already exposed of shall be sold on a credit of six months
        and after all my just debts are paid and the above mentioned sums are paid
        over the balance of the funds will be equality divided between lawful named
        heirs. Jesse Harrell, David Harrell, Martha Moore, Lucy Leigh, Polly Leigh,
        Nancy Harrell, Rebecca Moore, Sally Brown, Elizabeth Cherry, William
        Harrell,
        and Lewis Harrell, and if their is more than a will, make them up six
        hundred
        dollars, then Levi Harrell comes in for an equal part of the over plus with
        the other heirs.

        Item 13 I give and bequeath unto my son Levi Harrell six hundred dollars
        which he has already had and the deed in trust I hold against him to be
        given
        up and the funds of the overplus that comes to Elizabeth Cherry and Sally
        Brown remains in the hands of my executor as above described, and if
        Elizabeth Cherry dies before she receives the benefit of her share the
        remaining part of to be equally divided amongst all my heirs and if Sally
        Brown dies before she receives the benefit of her share the remaining part
        goes to her heirs forever. I also give and bequeath one feather bed to
        William Harrell. I also give and bequeath David Harrell one feather bed. I
        also give and bequeath Nancy Harrell one feather bed, and it is my will and
        desire at the death of my wife Margaret Harrell all the property I have
        loaned to her shall be sold and equally divided among all my heirs that is
        Elizabeth Cherry, Lewis Harrell, Jesse Harrell, Sally Brown, David Harrell,
        Levi Harrell, Martha Moore, Lucy Leigh, Polly Leigh, Nancy Harrell, Rebecca
        Moore, and William Harrell or at any time when she sees proper in
        delinguishing her right. I do nominate ordain and appoint Jesse Harrell my
        whole and sole executor of this my last will and testament. Vowing and
        confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament as witness
        whereof I set my hand and seal this eighteenth day of October one thousand
        eight hundred and forty three.

        Christopher Harrell (Seal)

        Witness:
        Eaton Cobb
        Joseph Cobb

        Edgecombe County Court}
        February term 1844} The forgoing paper writing purposeing to be the
        last will and testament of Christopher Harrell (dec.) was exhibited in open
        Court for probate, and it execution duly proven by the oaths of Eaton Cobb
        and Joseph Cobb the subscribing witnesses thereto, and ordered to be.
        Whereupon Jesse Harrell the executor named in said will appears in open
        Court and qualifies as such. 1844

        Jn Norfleet (Clerk)

        > I just found out while researching my family line that Pitt County
        > actually gave Edgecombe county some land in 1801 which mentions the
        > Christopher Harrell plantation. I *think* that this plantation was
        > in Pitt county and ended up in Edgecombe county, because Christopher
        > Harrell magically appears in the 1810 Census for Edgecombe county.
        > He is nowhere to be found in the census before this time.
        >
        > I'm not actually sure how he ended up with his land. He was
        > adjacent to Cobbs, Mayos, Cherrys, etc., and actually married
        > Margaret Cherry.
        >
        > Does anyone have any information on Christopher Harrell, his
        > plantation, or his lineage?
        >
        > Thanks so much,
        > R. Kevin Harrell
        > Coordinator, Harrell Family Surname DNA Project
        > http://www.harrelldna.com
        >

        > Click here for current information on Pitt County Historical Society:
        >
        > Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form:

        > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

      • kevinhnc
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
          Yes, this is exactly the Christopher Harrell I am referring to. I
          believe his son David is my well-documented gggrandfather.

          I have seen the will you posted many times, and although it mentions
          his children, of course it does not mention his parentage.

          I saw a document which stated that in 1801, Pitt county gave some
          land to Edgecombe county "up to the Christopher Harrell plantation"
          which leads me to believe that he was originally in Pitt, but ended
          up in Edgecombe county, because he suddenly appears on the 1810
          Edgecombe County Census.

          At any rate, I was wondering if anyone had information on him or his
          parentage besides the will that you posted. Thank you for your reply.

          R. Kevin Harrell
          http://www.harrelldna.com
        • feonadorf@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
            R Kevin,

            Is this the same Christopher that married Lezinia May, and had daughter
            Martha Harrell?

            Lisa

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2003
              Dear Cousin Lisa, Who was the Elizabeth Cherry
              mentioned in that will? Is she related to our Cherry
              family? Later, Carol

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3, 2003
                Emily Carol,

                I am not sure who she is.Yet.

                Cousin,Lisa

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 4, 2003
                  Thanks. I'll await further information. I'm figuring
                  it would be odd if there were a second line of the
                  Cherry family in that close proximity to us. Later,
                  Carol

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com