Augusta Worthington Webb

  • Jo
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 28, 2003
      Can anyone tell me anything on the Augusta Worthington and Walter
      Webb family? Augusta's father was Shade Worthington, and they lived
      in Pactolus.

      Jo
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 28, 2003
        Dear Jo, I think your Shade was actually
        Shadrack--just in case you don't find "Shade." Our
        Shades were named for Shadrack from the Bible, book of
        Daniel (if I remember correctly)--Shadrack, Meshack
        (however it's spelled), and Abenego (don't have Bible
        with me to check spellings--usually I check everything
        before I write anything). Go to rootsweb, and check
        Lisa Scarola's web. http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr Go
        to related sources, and click--that will give you the
        web pages of members. Click on Lisa's. Click on "W."
        Click on "Worthington"--we have various spellings, so
        your Shade may not be listed under the first spelling
        you use but may be under Weatherington or one of the
        others you will recognize there in the listings for
        their similarity. Lisa has first name lists under each
        surname, so you can go directly to your person. If you
        end up not finding your Shade, then follow the same
        process in searching for the lady. You can also
        follow-up by searching the rootsweb cemetery records,
        marriage records, and census records until you track
        your man. I have my own genealogy files stored
        electronically in my e-mail folders. If you don't hit
        paydirt, I'll run through my files for you. Let me
        know if your search still does not pan out. Later,
        Carol

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 28, 2003
          Jo, By the way, do you have dates for either Shade or
          Augusta? Among our membership at this site are several
          of my Worthington kin. We descend from Alfred
          Worthington (1845) and Sarah Frances McGowan. Alfred
          descends back to Ambrose and beyond Pitt to Craven
          County, N.C. Robert, Solomon, Ambrose, Spire, Spirous,
          Jeremiah, Alfred, Alfred, Alfred Poe (my uncle) in the
          male line--of course, I have some of the earlier names
          out of order, but you will find their dates at Lisa's
          site. My mother was the only daughter of Alfred (1871)
          Worthington and Jenny Secession McGowan (1879); there
          are four of us children. My other uncle (Mark Howard
          Worthington) never married, so this male line ends
          with my Uncle Poe's descendants. However, Alfred
          (1871) was one of 13 children, 11 having surviving
          children. That leaves plenty of male Worthingtons and
          lots of male and female Worthingtons who can probably
          give you quick answers to your Worthington questions.
          Later, Carol
          --- Jo <jowebb@...> wrote:
          > Can anyone tell me anything on the Augusta
          > Worthington and Walter
          > Webb family? Augusta's father was Shade
          > Worthington, and they lived
          > in Pactolus.
          >
          > Jo

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Jo Webb
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 28, 2003
            The only date I have is the day they were married May 3, 1896.

            Jo

            > Jo, By the way, do you have dates for either Shade or
            > Augusta? Among our membership at this site are several
            > of my Worthington kin. We descend from Alfred
            > Worthington (1845) and Sarah Frances McGowan. Alfred
            > descends back to Ambrose and beyond Pitt to Craven
            > County, N.C. Robert, Solomon, Ambrose, Spire, Spirous,
            > Jeremiah, Alfred, Alfred, Alfred Poe (my uncle) in the
            > male line--of course, I have some of the earlier names
            > out of order, but you will find their dates at Lisa's
            > site. My mother was the only daughter of Alfred (1871)
            > Worthington and Jenny Secession McGowan (1879); there
            > are four of us children. My other uncle (Mark Howard
            > Worthington) never married, so this male line ends
            > with my Uncle Poe's descendants. However, Alfred
            > (1871) was one of 13 children, 11 having surviving
            > children. That leaves plenty of male Worthingtons and
            > lots of male and female Worthingtons who can probably
            > give you quick answers to your Worthington questions.
            > Later, Carol
            > --- Jo <jowebb@...> wrote:
            > > Can anyone tell me anything on the Augusta
            > > Worthington and Walter
            > > Webb family? Augusta's father was Shade
            > > Worthington, and they lived
            > > in Pactolus.
            > >
            > > Jo

            > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            >

            > Click here for current information on Pitt County Historical Society:
            >
            > Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form:

            > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

          • Trish Worthington Cobb
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 28, 2003
              Jo
              This is what I have on her:

              In 1880 Census, Augusta Worthington, age 3, is listed in the household
              of her uncle William Stokes and his wife Rachel Levenda Tucker Stokes.
              William is the son of William Stokes and Lucretia Adams.
              Augusta's mother must be Nancy Jane Stokes, dau. of William Stokes and
              Lucretia Adams,
              Nancy Jane Stokes married Shadrack F. "Big Bud" Witherington.
              However, I did not have Augusta listed as their child.

              1880 United States Census
              Household:
               William STOKES   Self   M   Male   W   55   NC   Farmer   NC   NC
               Luindy STOKES   Wife  M   Female   W   53   NC   House Keeper   NC
               NC
               William A. STOKES   Son   S   Male   W   20   NC   Farm Laborer   NC
               NC
               Emerly STOKES   Dau   S   Female   W   22   NC   Domestics  NC   NC
               Rodrick STOKES   Son   S   Male   W   9   NC      NC   NC
               Augusta WORTHINGTON   Niece  S   Female   W   3   NC      NC   NC
              Source Information:
              Census Place Chicoa, Pitt, North Carolina
              Family History Library Film    1254977
              NA Film Number    T9-0977
              Page Number    275A

              Trish

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 28, 2003
                Thank you Carol for all your help.

                Jo

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 28, 2003
                  Jo
                  I'm not sure about this Shadrach being called "Big Bud." It may have
                  been his nephew who had that nickname, Maybe someone else can help. I
                  think Nancy Pittman has a lot of informtion on this family. Some of my
                  informtion came from her.
                  Trish

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 29, 2003
                    Dear Jo, It's a pleasure. Also, I knew for a fact that
                    many of my kin who have spent their lives in North
                    Carolina and who have done extensive work on our
                    families would have at their fingertips an answer to
                    your questions. I only gave you sources contributed by
                    other relatives that have really paid off for me. I
                    hoped these might prove helpful on occasions when you
                    might come across information that raised a question
                    you might want the answer to before it slipped your
                    mind. That's where rootsweb comes in. Like the Pitt
                    County Chronicles, it's a treasure trove of
                    information on all our families. Later, Carol

                    === message truncated ===

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 29, 2003
                      Dear Jo, Here's what I find on Lisa's web page from
                      the rootsweb site. According to her there is Shadrick
                      Worthington born 1863, the son of John Bryant
                      Worthington (1831) and Sabrina Bland (1833). John
                      Bryant was the son of Silas Worthington and Susan
                      Smith. Shade F. "Big Bud" Worthington (1861) was also
                      the son of Silas Worthington and Susan Smith. This
                      makes "Big Bud" the uncle of Shadrick (1863). The line
                      goes back to Robert Widderington and Elizabeth Dare
                      (b. 1684, daughter of James Dare) of Calvert County
                      Maryland. Our ancestor Solomon Widderington b. 1703
                      Calvert Co., Maryland died in 1766 in Craven County.
                      His will was probated and lists his heirs. Solomon
                      actually died in Pitt, I believe, but the will was
                      executed in Craven. Our Ormond/Cherry line settled in
                      Calvert County, Maryland having come from Ireland.
                      This latter information I learned from the GRIVA
                      genealogical group of which I am a member here in
                      Virgina. William Ormond, for whom our male descendants
                      take the name William, was actually Duke of Ireland
                      and a neighbor of the Carroll family (their lands in
                      Ireland joined one another's). The author of a
                      national award winning book on the Carroll family is a
                      professor (history) at the College of William and
                      Mary. He spoke at one of our GRIVA meetings on the
                      close ties between history and genealogy. It was his
                      research in genealogy that actually led to the
                      discovery that resulted in his book on the Carroll
                      family. We have Carrolls in Pitt County, and given our
                      Calvert County Maryland ties, I would not be surprised
                      at all to learn that this family ties in with the
                      Carrolls of Maryland. It seems that our families
                      tended for generations to live and migrate together.
                      GRIVA is the Genealogical Research Institute of
                      Virginia. It is very active with several genealogical
                      research trips a year and Tuesday meetings (rotating
                      between day and evening meetings to adapt to members'
                      work schedules) each month. I joined expecting to
                      learn nothing at all about our families but to take
                      advantage of the research trips. I was in for an
                      incredible shock. I've learned more about the early
                      history of our families before their settlement in
                      Pitt than I ever expected to learn in this life. It's
                      been an incredible association, and I'll pass along to
                      this group what I learn from GRIVA. By the way, the
                      Dare name continues in our families as the middle name
                      of some of our Worthington daughters! Small world.
                      Later, Carol

                      === message truncated ===

                      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                    • Jean
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
                        Just a little late in responding to the Augusta Worthington thread.

                        It appears that Augusta is listed in two households unless there are two
                        Augustas:

                        1880 cemsus

                        S. F. WEATHERINGTON Self M Male W 47 NC Laborer NC NC

                        Nancy J. WEATHERINGTON Wife M Female W 41 NC Keeping House NC NC

                        Robert J. WEATHERINGTON Son S Male W 14 NC NC NC

                        Susan H. WEATHERINGTON Dau S Female W 13 NC NC NC

                        Maggie D. WEATHERINGTON Dau S Female W 10 NC NC NC

                        Fannie L. WEATHERINGTON Dau S Female W 7 NC NC NC

                        Augusta WEATHERINGTON Dau S Female W 4 NC NC NC

                        Shade F. WEATHERINGTON Son S Male W 1 NC NC NC

                        Census Place Chocowinity, Beaufort, North Carolina

                        1880 census

                        William STOKES Self M Male W 55 NC Farmer NC NC

                        Luindy STOKES Wife M Female W 53 NC House Keeper NC NC

                        William A. STOKES Son S Male W 20 NC Farm Laborer NC NC

                        Emerly STOKES Dau S Female W 22 NC Domestics NC NC

                        Rodrick STOKES Son S Male W 9 NC NC NC

                        Augusta WORTHINGTON Niece S Female W 3 NC NC NC

                        Census Place Chicoa, Pitt, North Carolina

                        These appear to be the same but are they??

                        Jean
                        jowgen@...
                        We all have ancestors buried in our past

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
                          If this Augusta living with William Stokes in the 1880 census is the
                          daughter of Shadrick son of John Bryant who did he marry? His mother was
                          Sabrina Stocks. Who were Sabrina's parents?