Re: [genpcncfir] Marriage

  • Rhet Wilkinson
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
      It was widely believed that inheritance was THE important factor in a person back when. I have seen newspaper articles that my grandmother, born back in the 1800s had cut out and saved. (Or maybe it as her mother) They felt that environment meant nothing. I remember my mother, born in 1917 saying that it was better to marry the black sheep of a "good family" rather than the outstanding member of a "not so good family". That way your children had a better chance of inheriting good traits rather than be a thow back to a family that was less than acceptable. But also remember that "good family" did not have anything to do with money in that particular mind set. You could be poor as a church mouse and still be "good family" Isn't it nice that we have learned to look a each person individually today rather than grouping them with others? Rhet
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
        Dear Rhet, Yes indeed. After all, the parents of one's
        grandchildren can come back to haunt one in ways
        people sometimes never imagine. Children are little
        imitators. They will repeat what they see and hear at
        home. I'd rather my children (now in their 30's) marry
        someone as poor as Dick's hatband (as Mama put it) but
        with a sterling character than to be poor in character
        and as rich as King Juan Carlos. Later, Carol

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com