Re: [genpcncfir] adoptions and orphans

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 31, 2003
      Dear Doris, I imagine that it was VERY common when the
      only identification was those little bracelets. I may
      be judging my fellow nurses too harshly, but I believe
      that very few would risk the disciplinary action of
      reporting having lost an infant's bracelet themselves
      and not knowing whose child the infant really was. It
      would be a lesser problem today, of course, but I
      would not say the same was the case before DNA testing
      when whose baby (especially in contested paternity
      cases and unwed mothers)was a matter of "he said,"
      "she said." There are probably, if truth be known,
      thousands of children across America today whose
      parentage will never come to light until there's a
      medical or other need for testing. My brothers and I
      were born at home, so we know who we are. Our baby
      sister was the first of us born in the new hospital in
      Greenville. Before Mama left for the hospital to have
      her, I told Mama that if she brought home another boy,
      then she needed to tell them she had the wrong baby!
      As much as I love my brothers and as proud of them
      both as I am, I badly wanted a little sister. At five
      years old, I thought getting babies was like ordering
      from the Sears catalogue. If you didn't like what you
      got, you simply exchanged it: "Satisfaction
      guaranteed, or your money back." It's funny how catchy
      advertising phrases stick in children's heads. Later,
      Carol

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com