Re: Re: [genpcncfir] nicknames

  • Charlynn Helms
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2003
      My name is Charlynn - but my nephew calls me Aunt "Cha-chi" - it's as close
      as he could get to my name when he was two. My brother's name is Chris -
      simple - yet he is called Uncle "Cookie" (he is a baker - so he was
      associatted with that yummy treat of fresh baked cookies.)

      As kids we called my mother "Mom", "Ma", Mommy", and "Mother" - depending on
      our age at the time, and our mood when we teenagers <grin>. As a
      grandmother, my mother is now called "Grancy".

      Names for grandmother:

      On my mother's side we called my grandmother "Granma" and we called her
      mother "Big Mama" - even though they were both thin scottish women. We
      called my grandfather's step-mother (his Mom died when he was 8) "Granny",
      and we also had "Granny Heard" (she was very German and austere - the mother
      of the young man [who is now 98 - we call him Uncle Didi] who married my
      grandfather's oldest sister).

      On my father's side we called his parents "Maw" and "Paw". We never had an
      opportunity to meet their parents - so I don't know what they were called.

      Charlynn Helms

      Looking for NC Roots HELMS, McNEILL, BOWERS, LIPE
      Other lines - not NC - FREEMAN, COLE, McWHIRTER, WILLIAMS, THOMPSON, MEAUX,
      FEARS, PHILLIPS, FUNDERBURG