Stancill, Battle, Mayo of Pitt/Edgecombe to TN

  • Tracy Stancil/mail.hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2003
      At the bottom of this message is an excerpt of a cemetery transcription that relates to the above list of Pitt/Edgecombe County surnames. While I have not seen the actual graves in question, I am quite sure that there are several errors in this transcription as follows:
      Grave # 2- Nathan Stancill born in Pitt, NC died in Jan 1822 in the " 18 th " year of his age. I'm confident that this probably really says " in the 48 th year of his age "
      Graves #3 and #4- Isaac Battle born in Edgecombe, NC in 1775 died in May 1816 in the 41st year of his age. These are apparently the same man.
      Grave #5- Lucinda Scrugg- born Feb 1788 and died Dec. 1832- this appears to be the widow of Isaac Battle who evidently remarried Mr. Scrugg during her widowhood.
      Grave #6- Joel Battle son of Isaac and Lucinda Mays Battle..... This shows that Isaac Battle's wife Lucinda's maiden name was " Mays ". The maiden name was actually " Mayo ".

      The Nathan Stancill (born circa 1773/1774) in question here is a son of Godfrey Stancill SR. (dec'd 1789/1790) and wife Sarah Nobles of Pitt County. ( He is not to be confused with Godfrey Stancill Jr.'s (1776-1850) son Nathan who died in Mississippi circa 1848-1850)

      1-Nathan Stancill born 1770's married Elizabeth- some Edgecombe County evidence suggests her maiden name was Mayo.
      2-Nathan and Elizabeth Stancill were founding members of Little Conetoe Baptist Church circa 1800-1810.
      3-Nathan Stancill served in NC House of Commons from Edgecombe County for the year 1808.

      Nathan Stancill and Isaac Battle were listed next to each other as Freeholders in Davidson County, TN for the year 1812. So it appears that Nathan Stancill and Isaac Battle moved together from Edgecombe to Davidson,TN circa 1810 .

      So why are Nathan and Elizabeth Stancill buried in the Battle Cemetery? I am assuming until I find otherwise that Nathan Stancill and Isaac Battle were most likely brothers-in-law and that Isaac's wife Lucinda Mayo was a sister of Nathan's wife Elizabeth Mayo.

      As stated below, this cemetery is found in Nashville, Davidson County, TN.
      In neighboring Williamson County, TN there is a will for Nathan Stancill dated early 1820's.
      I will try to order the microfilm of Nathan Stancill's will as soon as possible.

      NOTE: These are only a few of the graves in this cemetery . There are a number of other Battles as well as Clark, Williams and Gooch.

      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      BATTLE CEMETERY, BURKITT ROAD, NASHVILLE, DAVIDSON COUNTY, TENNESSEE

      (Surveyed by Davidson County, TN Volunteers in May, 2000)

      1-STANCILL (?) Died: 1848

      Front inscription: SACRED/ TO THE MEMORY OF/ MRS. ELIZABETH ? (STANCILL?)/WAS BORN MAY 30, ????/ AND DIED SEPT 22, 1848

      2-STANCILL Died: 1822

      Front inscription: NATHAN STANCILL/ WAS BORN IN PITT COUNTY/ NORTH CAROLINA & DIED/ 21ST JANUARY 1822 IN THE/ 18TH YEAR OF HIS AGE/ MEMBER OF THE BAPTIST CHURCH HE ADORNED HIS PROFE/ SSIONS & HIS DEATH WAS TRIUMPHANT

      3-BATTLE Died: 1816

      Front inscription: ISAAC BATTLE/ WAS BORN IN EDGECOMB/ COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA/ DIED 12 MAY 1816/ THE 41 OF HIS/ AGE. A BAPTIST BY PROFESSION ....(ILLEGIBLE)

      4-BATTLE Born: 1775 Died: 1816

      Front inscription: ISAAC BATTLE/ WAS BORN IN NORTH CAROLINA/ JULY THE 3RD 1775 DIED IN/ TENNESSEE ON THE 17TH OF MAY/ 1816/ A CHRISTIAN BY PROFESSION HIS LIFE WAS/ VERIFICATION OF THE FAITH HE EMBRACED.

      Footstone: YES Footstone inscription: NONE

      5-SCRUGG Born: 1788 Died: 1832

      Front inscription: SACRED/ TO THE MEMORY OF MRS/ LUCINDA . SCRUGG WAS BORN/ FEB 22, 1788 AND DIED/ DEC. 1832

      Footstone: YES Footstone inscription: NONE

      6-BATTLE Born: 1811 Died: 1872

      Front inscription: JOEL ALLEN/ SON OF/ ISAAC & LUCINDA/ MAYS BATTLE/ BORN SEPT 19, 1811/ DIED AUG. 23, 1872

      Footstone: YES Footstone inscription: J. A. B.