[genpcfr] McGlohon etc.

  • Janice TRIPP Gurganus
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 13, 1999
      Sherri,

      I have a set of books that I purchased from Miss Leah McGlohon of
      Winterville (Pitt Co), NC. They have extensive information on the McGlohon
      (McLawhorn) families. If you send me some precise names and dates, I'll be
      glad to search these publications for you.

      Janice Tripp Gurganus
      Assistant Secretary
      Pitt County Family Researchers

      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/1908/
      genpcfr@...

    • Pierce3369@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 29, 1999
        For Janice Tripp Gurganus,
        In your McLawhon book do you have anything on Elizabeth "Betty" McGlawhon,
        b. 27 Sep 1848, d. 16 Aug 1916; m. John Pearce (Pierce) 10 Dec 1865? Jerry
        McGlawhon, b. 21 Oct 1818, d. 11 Aug 1894; m. Susan Ellis? George McGlohon,
        b. ?, d. 1831; m. Mary Stocks? Thanks.
        Sammy Anson Pierce

      • Janice TRIPP Gurganus
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 1999
          For Sammy Anson Pierce:

          I didn't find anything on Elizabeth "Betty" McGlawhorn, b. 27 Sept 1848.

          On your Jerry McGlawhorn, I found the following information in Leah
          McGlohon's, "The Lewis McGlohon (McLawhorn) Family and Ancestry":

          "Jeremiah MCGLOHON, b. Oct. 29, 1818. On January 28, 1844, he married Susan
          Elizabeth ELLIS (b. Jan. 28, 1824; d. May 1, 1899, bur Sumrell-McLawhorn
          Cem, as named by St. Amand), the daughter of Elezazar ELLIS and Nancy Bonner
          BLOUNT. Jeremiah was active in the Hancock Baptist Church. Sometime
          between 1830 and 1840, the church split over the missions question; but the
          two groups used the same building until about 1867. In October 1852
          "Jeremiah McLohon" was ordained as a deacon of the church, most probably the
          missionary faction. When the missionary faction was reconstituted in 1881,
          he was a member of the church, known as Antioch Baptist Church and located
          about one mile south of Winterville. The church was later moved into
          Winterville and renamed Winterville Missionary Baptist Church.

          "Since there were a number of Jeremiahs, it is somewhat difficult
          todistinguish who is who in the deed records; therefore, no attempt has been
          made to trace his deed transactions. However, he was a farmer and owned
          some land. He also served as a commissioner in Pitt County. He died on
          August 11, 1894, and was buried in the Sumrell-McLawhorn Cemetery on rural
          road No. 1112 west of Ayden. His name is spelled "McGlohon" on his
          tombstone. Jeremiah and Susan had four daughters and six sons."

          The following information on George McGlohon was found in the same
          publication:

          "GEORGE MCGLOHON is the first ancestor of the writer who can be identified
          with certainty. Because John McGlohon sold the same amount of land to
          George and Jeremiah McGlohon for the same price on the same day (DB 0, p.
          207 and p. 215), George and Jeremiah may have been the sons of John. It is
          also possible that the three were brothers.

          George's name first appears in Pitt County records for a land grant in 1785.
          In the 1790 Census his household consisted of three females; so he probably
          had two daughters at this time. From the census records it would appear
          that he was probably married twice and had 3 daughters and 6 sons--3 sons by
          the second wife. The oldest female in the 1810 Census was over 45 years
          old; the oldest in the 1820 Census was between 26 and 45. If he was married
          twice, his second wife was named MARY--identified in a deed to Thomas and a
          marriage record of Aaron. In the 1840 Census Mary Lawhorn was between 50
          and 60 with one male 15-20 years old.

          "According to Mary McGlohon Smith's records of the family, Luke McGlohon's
          mother was a Stocks. George died about 1831; and Mary died August 7, 1844,
          if she is the Mary McLawhon (he consistently spelled the name this way in
          his records) on a list J. L. Jackson copied from an old notebook at Ed
          Harrington's near Grifton and Hanrahan. Mary might have been a Harrington
          and somehow related to Moses Harrington whose name is noted insomeeof the
          deeds.

          "A number of deed transactions were found for George in the Pitt County deed
          books and are abstracted."

          The deed abstractions follow, along with a couple of pages of information on
          George's children. I'll send you a copy in the mail.

          Janice Tripp Gurganus
          janicegurganus@...

        • Elizabeth Roebuck
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 1999
            Janice, I put my pedigree chart at the library last Saturday. They put
            it under the counter. Please let me know if you got it. Missed you at
            the Saturday meeting.
            We are having our last meeting at the Three Steers May 1st at 6:30. Let
            me know if you go and any others of the PCFT. I need to turn in a
            number a few days ahead of time.
            Annette Roebuck

          • Janice TRIPP Gurganus
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 6, 1999
              I'll go out to PCC and check on your pedigree chart; thanks so much for
              contributing it. I've just returned from Spain (a gift from one of my
              daughters and son-in-law) and had over 800 messages in my mailbox!

              I'm not sure about the dinner on May 1--that's my husband's birthday. Maybe
              you'd better not count on me, although I'd love to go. I enjoy the BW group
              so much.

              Janice