8699Re: [genpcncfir] Grizzard Surname

  • Janie Ellison
    Feb 1, 2003
      Betty,

      Thank you for responding to my message.

      On the 1870 Pitt County census, page 29, there lists John, 42; Sarah, 27;
      Mary, 9; Elizabeth, 6; William A., 4; Mary, 30, domestic ser.; John, 9;
      Prissy A., 12, and Wiliam, 1. I believe the Mary, age 30, to be Mary
      Grizzard, who possibly took on the Pollard last name. Her daughter, Prissy
      A., is 12 on this 1870 census; but on the 1880 census on page 402B, she is
      Priscilla Simmons, age 19.

      Oour family tradition has it that Mary Grizzard, a Native American Indian,
      married a Pollard and had Priscilla and at least one son my father called
      "Uncle Tom Pollard", a FWB preacher in NC. The ages and name is close
      enough for me to believe this Mary, b. abt. 1840, is Mary Grizzard
      (Simmons?) living in the Pollard household. The 1880 census shows Sarah,
      wife to John Pollard (she is also listed on 1870 census) and their three
      children WITHOUT Mary and her children.

      Do you have any Mary Grizzards in your notes that would confirm any of this?
      Thank you for checking on this for me.

      Thank you.

      Janie (Harris) Ellison
      ellisonj7@...
      ellisonj7@...
      HARRIS, HADDOCK, SIMMONS, PARAMORE, POLLARD, ELKS, BEDDARD