18484Fw: Vollis Simpson

    Jun 9, 2013
      Hello Group......
      Please peruse the below forwarded message:

      From: Carol Forbes
      To: wilsonnc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2013 12:26 AM
      Subject: [wilsonnc] Vollis Simpson

      Hi list,

      I just heard that local folk artist Vollis Simpson has died at age 94 years. His giant whirligigs attracted art lovers and curiosity seekers from all over the world to a pasture on his Lucama farm. He died Friday. “He just went to sleep and didn’t wake up,” said his wife Jean.

      The article will be in Saturday’s Wilson Times newspaper. This is a great loss to all of us. I have taken my children many times over years to see those giant whirligigs. A whirligig park is being constructed in Wilson. It will be a monument to his years of making whirligigs from ordinary scrape metals, parts. His death is a great loss to us all, and the world.
      Carol