18352Re: Fw: New Post at WAYNECOUNTYBLOG.BETTERTHANMOST.COM

  • rhodenccc
    Apr 1, 2012
      Barb, John Cannady (Cannaday) married Missouri Powell. She was one of the sisters of Osceola - the Seminole warrior. John Cannady did have a NA name that escapes me at the moment. There is a bit of a difference of opinion in the Cannady family as to whether his wife was indeed Missouri Powell. They are buried in the Cannady cemetery in No Fl/So GA. The name was also spelled Kennedy at times. There is a lot of information on the family at the Cannady message boards and I believe there is a family website. Osceola himself died in prison at Ft Moultrie,SC in 1838. His wives and children were sent to OK.
      They were Cherokee I believe. The Seminoles broke off from the tribe during the debates about the treaties and relocations.
      best, Cheryl