      From: Martha-Gay Morton <marthagay.morton@...>
      To: Edgecombe_Wilson_Nash_Halifax@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, March 10, 2011 7:00:24 PM
      Subject: [genpcncfir] BRILEY

      Bill, Judy and Sue,
      Thanks for your response to my querry and for your information.
      This is my problem:
      Pitt County Deed Book MM page 252
      Cannan DOWNS and wife to Robert Belcher & P. SUGG
      11th day of January 1849
      John Mayo, Lewis Mayo, Amos Mayo, Nancy Mayo, Amy Cobb, Littleberry Thigpen,
      Kenaan Downs & wife, Elizabeth, Elkann Briley, & Allen Briley being the lawful
      heirs of Jacob Mayo, deceased Except L.B. Thigpen who represents Bennett Mayo
      one of the aforesaid heirs.....
      $700.00 .....137 1/2 acres on the west side of Little Coneto  ......being the
      lands which belonged to the late Jacob Mayo.........except the dower right of
      Margaret Mayo, widow of the said Jacob Mayo.......There are no witness
      signatures..... Signed: John Mayo. L.B. Thigpen, Amos Mayo, Lewis Mayo, Nancy
      Mayo, Amy Cobb, Elkany Briley, Canaan Downs, Allen Briley, Elizabeth
      Downs..........
      Canaan is actually Kenyon Downs son of Nehemiah Downs. Kenyon and Elizabeth had
      7 children. 3 of their children lived past 1915 and have death certificates
      which name their mother as Betty BRILEY. In the 1850 Pitt County census
      Elizabeth Downs maiden name

      is listed as MAYO. I believe she was a Briley and sister to Elkannah [or however
      you spell it] and Allen Briley.  Also in the 1850 census Allen is listed as a
      Mayo, living with Margaret and Nancy. I am trying to figure out if Elizabeth,
      Elkannah and Allen were grandchildren of Jacob and his 1st wife [Margaret was
      his 2nd wife, according to a census review and their only child was Nancy] OR
      were they Margaret's children by her 1st husband [assuming she had a 1st
      husband]

      My guess is that they were the children of one of Jacob's daughters who died.
      Although ..........it is unusual for grandchildren to get the same share as the
      children.

      Usually grandshildren divide their parent's share.
      THOUGHTS and THANKS.
      MGM