      From: Diane Whitehurst Collins <dc09182000@...>
      Subject: Re: [genpcncfir] Whitehurst/Whitehouse/Whitruss
      To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 1:51 PM

      Batson Whitehurst was born in VA and died in Pitt County in 1826.  He was married to Elizabeth (Tapley?) who pre-deceased him.  Their children:
      Samuel Whitehurst - married to Dinah Manning
      Richard Whitehurst - married to Polly Manning
      Arthur Whitehurst - married to Elizabeth (Whitfield?)
      Lanfair Whitehurst - married to Dorothy Unity Wilkinson
      Batson Whitehurst - married to Rebecca Taylor
      Charles Whitehurst - married to Elizabeth Bullock
      Elizabeth Whitehurst - never married
      Jesse Whitehurst - married to Mary "Polly" (last name unknown)
      Mary Whitehurst - married to William Carson
      Daughter - married to Wallace Manning and had a son Pettia Manning - this daughter died before 1826.

      The Whitehurst family owned land in the Bethel and Whitehurst Station area of Pitt County - near the Beaufort county line.

      17 October 1782 land grant #312 - 400 acres to Batson (Sr) - on Northside of Tar River and Northwest side of Grindal Creek and on both sides of Sugg Branch at a pine Isaac Rogers corner, thence with his line East 140 poles to a pine near the Poquoson (swamp).

      The early land records mention his land bordering Isaac Rogers land.  I know there is a dried up creek that runs through the land in Whitehurst Station.

      I suggest that you look at maps at the N.C. Archives or check out the Pitt County Family Researchers website.

      Maybe someone else on this site is moer familiar with the land and maps and can tell you exactly where Grindal Creek met Suggs Branch.

      Diane Whitehurst Collins