      From: Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>
      Subject: Re: [genpcncfir] Randolph Marriages: Ruthie Warren & C. A. Randolph's daughters
      To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, November 9, 2008, 7:33 PM

      Hi Martha,
      I too am not a researcher for either family, but some of the descendants of my lateral lines have a Mayo connections. Originally, I was responding logically to data given by another.

      The "rule of thumb" I use to resolve conflicting dates on reliable source(s) is to give preference to those records, which are closest to the actual event. Death certificates are primary sources for death dates, but secondary or tertiary for birth dates.

      Research this morning indicates the data for 1850 - 1900 censuses were not only collected on Jun 1st, but were also based " as of Jun 1st " [not Jan 1st as I was thinking yesterday].

      Here's my thoughts about twins, Jesse & Willy birth date:
      1) They were born on Feb 14 based on Willy's death certificate. Most people and their families know on what month and day they are born!

      2) They were born in 1849, based on the predominance of data that indicates that.
      On 1 Jun 1950, they would be 16.5 months, whereas if they were born in 1848 they would be almost 30 months. Contributing thoughts are:

      No new babies in the household to cause confusion;
      Even if the information provider was unaware or uneducated, most can tell the difference between a 1 year old versus an older child;
      With four children under 6, it was more likely mom was in the house when info was given.

      In this case, the 1850 & 1860 census data agree with the 1849 year of birth..
      Jesse's marriage certificate & 1870 census are only off by one year (they lost count?).
      I am dismissive of later census data, as it may have been provided by a spouse or child, because he's out working.

      I have to go out and do some shopping. I am planning to be on the east coast this next month. If I could check for info at Pitt County or elsewhere let me know. As soon as I have a firm schedule, I was thinking to be at a restaurant and send out "come and meet me" invites.
      Sincerely, Marcia

      Martha-Gay Morton <marthagay.morton@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      So glad to hear from you.

      I am not a descendant [that I know of] of either the Downs or the Mayos, but my Hopkins Family were neighbors and I have done extensive work on the Downs, not very much on the Mayos. Be very glad to share what I have.

      Wiley and Jesse's birthday is the real 64K dollar question. In 1850 they are 1; 1860 they are 10; 1870 they are 21; 1880 Wiley is 32 and Jesse is 30; 1890 is burned; 1900 Wiley
      is 59 and Jesse is 56; 1910 Wiley is 63. I have not found Jesse after 1900 so I just went with the age on Wiley's DC. Elizabeth and Kenyon Downs II [son of Kenyon I and Julia Ann Thomas] had the following children: Wiley, Jesse, Tillman G., Nehemiah Robert,
      John William, Arthur Melton, Winnie Elizabeth and James A. Kenyon II m. 2nd Martha Jane Shivers and they had Ann Eliza. I have only found 3 DC's: Wiley, Winnie Eliz. and John. Mother on all 3 is Eliz./Betsy Briley/Brilly.

      Although there is no smoking gun I feel certain that Kenyon I is son of Nehemiah Downs
      of Pitt County and his 1st wife, name unknown. [ND and my GGG-GF Arnold Hopkins had a common land line on the Great Coneto Creek, very near Conetoe..

      I would be very happy to know the name of Margaret's first husband and the children. I have Jacob Mayo's children as: John [m. Appy Windom, d/o Isaiah Windom]] Bennet, Amos, Lewis, Nancy, Amy [not sure if she was a Mayo or a Briley, m.a Cobb], The
      Briley children were: Elizabeth [m. Kenyon Downs II], Elkany and Allen [he is listed in the 1850 as Mayo but in the DOL as Briley.

      Look forward to hearing from you.

      Martha-Gay MORTON