      From: Margaret Smith <mlsmith67@...>
      Subject: [genpcncfir] Re: Order of naming children in North Carolina
      To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 4:05 AM

      I've seen this traditional naming list for Scotland, and would guess that
      any families in North Carolina that used it were Scots immigrants. Even in such
      families, though, it would break down in some lines. Say a third son James,
      named for his father James, has children. His first son, named for his paternal
      grandfather, would be James also. And if the mother's father was also James,
      then the family really has to start looking elsewhere for names! A similar
      situation would arise with girls' names.I doubt that many, if any, families
      followed the pattern strictly for very long, however, it goes a long way toward
      explaining the confusion so many of us face with the same names appearing over
      and over in our genealogies, with mulitple cousins sharing the same name even in
      one generation!

      Margaret Lindsey Smith

      you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern
      and Coastal North Carolina counties.
      Yahoo! Groups Links