16551Re: Braxton family

  • Linda E
    Nov 27, 2007
      Hi Carol,

      I'll be interested to see the Avery/Averitt connection. How did you
      find that was Priscilla's maiden name? Now will have to check the
      Wayne County records to see if Thomas was buried there. Which Avery
      line is she from? Someone has our Hannah(married to John) as "Hannah
      Lindley". I do find a Hannah Lindley married to a Thomas Braxton
      from Orange county in the same time frame. I think I checked into
      that a long time ago and found that branch went to Illinois and is
      not a direct connection to our John and Mary Braxton line that I can
      find. Of course there could be another Hannah Lindley, a Wm. Braxton
      is married to a Mary Lindley in Chatham Co. Have to connect more
      dots! Sorting out the Braxton branches is a giant jig saw puzzle! I
      did look in Wayne County some, but haven't found anything yet. I
      don't have access to ancestry.com anymore.

      Yes, families did spell names differently for different reasons. In
      my Finley line I found Findley's, etc. Guess in Scotland a "D" was
      added for those who lived on one side of the River Dee. Of course
      sometimes the census takers spelled names phonetically and made a
      real mess... like my Kerr ancesters, I have to look for Carr, Karr,
      etc. My maiden name is Buginnis, I found out lately that in
      Lithuania there are no double n's in the language... the extra n was
      added in the 30's to sound more Irish so my uncles could get jobs in
      Chicago, one uncle even changed his name to McGinnis. My fathers
      birth certificate was spelled with one n. It was really fun finding
      the name at Ellis Island... there was a z in it to sound more Russian!

      Linda

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

      > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic