16548Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Braxton family

    Nov 27, 2007
      Dear Linda,
      Thanks. Yes, I descend from John Braxton and Sarah.
      One reason for our not having seen the name Thomas
      passed down in the Pitt County families might be also
      that like Lacey, sons moved in order to purchase
      farmland to support their wives and children. I have
      seen case after case of this being mentioned in family
      correspondence and legal documents.
      If I remember correctly also, Priscilla was
      Priscilla Avery. Widowed with six children to provide
      for, she had left Wayne County where they had moved to
      establish their home and returned to Pitt.
      Having no ties to Wayne except for her husband,
      she wanted to live out her life near her family.
      Although she had sought no assistance, from what I
      gathered, her father took on the role of provider for
      her and the children.
      I also read that the Avery name had at this time
      two spellings. The change was made, not for show but
      for distinction. It seems that there were so many of
      this name that the family was concerned about
      confusion as to who was who. Among themselves, they
      had agreed to a spelling change for some of the
      families--interesting eh what?
      I had never heard of nor read of anyone's having
      changed the spelling of the surname for this reason.
      With so many variant spellings in our families, this
      piece of information really caught my attention.
      Just in case I have misrecalled my notes, will
      you check Wayne County for Thomas and Priscilla?
      The State Library here in Richmond is closed on
      Mondays. That's why I didn't run down there and go
      directly to my source.
      Tomorrow I have a block of time free and can do
      it myself if I can't easily lay hands on my
      notes--even though I do keep all my publications and
      notesbooks in one room. It would be a matter of what
      pages in which one, and that I don't know offhand not
      having in my mind which Braxtons were mentioned in
      which Pitt County Family Researchers' Quarterly or in
      which Chronicles.
      Thanks for your Braxton information relative to
      John's family. It may be there's a tie-in but not
      through Lacey.
      I recall that in his letter to the Daily
      Reflector from 1911 Elias A. Braxton had stated that
      he thought there were other brothers and sisters whose
      names he might not have remembered or even known, his
      having been so young when the family moved to
      Tennessee.
      Good to hear from you as always, Carol

      === message truncated ===

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs