16545RE: [genpcncfir] Re: Braxton family

  • John Meyer
    Nov 26, 2007
      One of the sons of Mary Braxton and Richard R. Allen was my 4th great grandfather William H. Allen.He was a Indian Agent for the Chickasaw Nation having married a Chickasaw women.I thought you might enjoy this letter he signed in 1832. We assume that the other Allen signer is related as well but as yet have not been able to make a solid connection to us. William H. Allen's son was Major John Braxton Allen, Mississippi Guards. He married Elizabeth Harrod, granddaughter of Colonial James Harrod, founder of Harrods Station in Kentucky. Three of their son's participated in the Civil War. Daniel Allen was killed at Fort Donaldson, Amos was at the surrender at Appomattox and my 2nd great grandfather Wesley Allen was wounded at Shiloh and sent home. Wesley named one of his son's Braxton Allen. I am attaching a picture of the Wesley Dow Allen family. My great grandmother is sitting next to her father. She died when I was 4. I remember her. She is why I started this whole genealogy thing. Also the photo of Braxton Allen, there son's grave. John
      CHICKASAW LETTERS - 1832

      Affidavit of Several Chickasaws, 22 OCT 1832: [M-234 Roll #136]

      Holechy, Chickasaw Nation

      Oct. 22. 1832
      We the undersigned, Do hereby Certify and acknowledge, That the true and just line between the Choctaw & Chickasaw Nations begins at the Mouth of Oka-tithe-hah and runs up it until it gets to the mouth of Noo-sah-chi-yah, then up that creek to a large round swamp, where Noo-sah-chi-yah makes a considerable bend towards the Chickasaws at that point it takes out, on the South side near a large pond, keeping a direct course to a grove of large Pines on the ridge about one mile beyond Wall's old stand on the Natchez Road. Thence a westward course to a point on the Mississippi River, well known by the name 'Tunica Village'.

      In witness we hereunto set our hands and seals --

      Huch-to-hun-tubbe his X mark

      Harn-you-tubbe his X mark

      Tisk-kah-hun-um-pa-la his X mark

      Pah-shiah-now-wah-nah his X mark

      Flah-ha-pay-tea his X mark

      Sho-mount-a his X mark

      Sack-it-tubbe his X mark

      Im-mah-la-cha his X mark

      Tam-by his X mark
      Witness
      Tom chico
      Martin Colbert

      Levi Colbert to President Andrew Jackson, 22 NOV 1832:

      [M-234, Roll #136, Start Frame #0276]Chickasaw Nation Nov. 22d 1832
      To the President of the United States
      My great and beloved Father
      As the head of my Nation, my heart tells me it is right that I place truth before you and if you have looked me in the face and dealt with my heart often and long enough, to credit my woods, you shall have truth in its nakedness. I had not lived and cast my senses, as you know, along the whitemans march, with my eyes shut, man proves the hand of God can no more change principles fixed in him, than he can change his skin, so it is, with the Indian, and his native land, when he hears of a departure from it, his heart like the stricken deer, reels and falls, but he may not die. I saw the whitemans march was to take my country. I prepared my mind and the mind of my Nation for it.
      I received Genl. Coffees message announcing the treaty on the 15th of September, the annuity come out at the same time. In one or two days Colo. Terrell visited my tent, with a talk which I guessed (never knowing) was Genl. Coffees, to induce from me a distinct proposition to sell our country. This Conference closed and I asked Colo. Terrel to say that my Nation had no proposition to make, if any was made, it must come from Genl. Coffee. This gentleman in general Council on the 24th handed to me the written bassis of his treaty. Marked A and herewith sent. My Nation from day to day until the 29th consulted on this basis. On that day, handed to the Genl., the Coppy of a paper marked B consenting to consider the treaty, which was forthwith presented and with which my Nation was not satidfied because the Forth Article provided that the lands to be reserved for the residence of my people until their removal, should be sold by the government, which is not within the basis, and the the chiefs universaly desired, under proper regulations, to retain that right themselves, and we were with one voice opposed to any part of the proceeds of these lands, being vested with the United States at all, which investments as per treaty, is not within, but out of the basis. See article four.
      We wanted this money in our own power, to pay the debts of my Nation, which must be done before we go. To meet expenses in the search and payments for a country west. To remove my Nation to it and to feed and sustain my people in their new homes untill they can again build houses clear farms and and get stock about them. There was in this treaty no guard against Speculation. The selection of reservations, and the valuation of improvements, I believe belonged to our National Council, and not to the President, because exclusively, this is my Nations interest and business, the national funds pays for it, and the solid interests of my Nation verry much depends on it.
      This fourth article pays to my Nation all the net proceeds of these reserved lands, but the thenth, takes, without condition, three fourths of it and fixes it with the United States, to my Nation this was disagreeable, as well also was the establishment of two land offices with two extra clerks, with one register and receiver, we were content. During the advisement of my Nation previous to the presentation of my note in reply to the Genl's basis. The greate body of this Nation had in repeated and solemn councils, positively determined, that not one reservation in the whole country should be allowed, except Colberts Island.
      This determined fact Genl Coffee had from my mouth and Pitman Colbert's repeatedly, but he would not agree to it, and we all think, to give or not give reservations was our own Native question, after he sent for the Commissioners to his quarters, and told us, If we did not allow reservations our greate Fatehr the President would not like it, and he distrubed with us and would think it verry strange that we denied ourselves reservations. We told him that God gave the country to all the Nation, no one had better right than an other. The half breeds got a wide field, they got moreInteligents than the Indians, and the treaty let them choose where they will, they would take a great deal of the verry best land and leave the poor.
      We had a country to find we knowed not where to buy it. If we had to buy of the Mexicans, a large sum of money must be ready, we had to move to this home pay our debts and live when we got there, let us do all these things of first necessity, then vest the balance with the government and draw on the interest. Genl. Coffee say No, on this question you must sleep one night more, he would get the Indians, the half breeds, and white men with Indian families together next day at the Council house, among us. He will help settle this matter. I tell Genl. Coffee, it is not worth while to sleep on a question so well considered and finally determined. He replied, we must all meet him tomorrow and so we did. The Genl. and the half breeds made several talks, at last the Genl. asked me if my mind was fixed not to allow reservations. I told him the great body of My Nation was against reservations and my mind was with them. He asked me what was my mind about the Franklin Treaty, if it was proper to receive any part of it. I asked him if that treaty lived. He said the government had failed to fulfil its part, it was bad, but as the Chickasaws were always ready and willing to fullfil all their contracts, it might be proper to receive some part of it. I told him it was useless to talk about the dead. He said well, he would write out another treaty, such as he thought right if we signed it -- well if not, he would fo home. So we parted as we met except a little more heat.
      In a day or two, he presented his treaty marked D, the very Same as before, on to the fourth article, which ruined a part of the treaty of Franklin, allowing and giving to Indians, half breeds, and Some white men not of Chickasaw families, 39,860 acres of choice land in fee simple, among them was several Chickasaw Commissioners, there with the Genl in treaty, and by the 12th article, gave to four others, 5,120 acres of choice land in fee simple to keep or to sell, in the same article near one hundred sections are given to half breeds and white men with Indian familys. The very persons against whom the Chiefs had been so long contending. To this treaty, all of us delivered our objectios, the Genl. again insisted that the full and half breeds should again meet in council. The Genl., Levi Colbert nor Pittman Colbert were not to be present. The parties meet, the half breeds after these talks, asked the chiefs, one by one if they would allow them reservations, one by one the old chiefs answered No, and turn'd to the warriors and asked them if they would defend them in this Opinion, the warriors replied they would. So they parted as they met.
      The concluding article of this treaty gave to me Levi Colbert, ten sections, make in all fifteen sections and a half. I received this news from Genl. Coffee, by Col. Terrell in my tent, before this treaty was public. The messenger explained to me with great clearness & force, the immense value and importance of 9,920 acres of well selected first rate land, which might be got in the verry bosom of stream navigation. for the happiness of my Nation, I had struck my course, my stand was taken and Genl. Coffee knew it. When Col. Terrell finished, I said to him, When Genl. Coffee attempts to buy my honesty, he must have a pile of money high as my head, then I will keep my honesty still, and the money must come from the United States Treasury and not from my Nations pocket to put mine, and then my honesty shall stay with me still.
      I cant tell what makes Genl. Coffee love reservations, so hard and so long. Three times he has been told no reservations can be allowed, most three weeks have gone away since he hang on this question and got so much heat in our Camps with the half breeds, I will tell him today if he does not quit these reservations, I will quit the treaty.
      The Genl. wrote another treaty, left out one land office and made some unimportant amendments, but still it seemed to us, the half breeds on reserves, from peculiar words in the treaty, might remain on them a long time or give verry long leases, in spite of the Nations actual removal. So the Genl. by the Chickasaw commissioners various amendments in respectful briefs were porposed all of which, is herewith sent, and almost all, was rejected.
      An Other Objection is 15/20 of my people are totally incapable of selecting any land of worth, men of sense and honesty, we think Ought to do this. My Nation also objects to the government selling these reservations. To the President appointing the person to value them or the agent to pay for them and it is objected also, that both the surveyor general and land office, as to their duration is without limit. The investment of any part of the proceeds of the reserved lands, was and now is objected to. On the examination my proposed amendments, to that treaty and of the traty signed since and herewith sent, it will be seen whether the wishes of my Nation, were or all right or wrong. I think the Chickasaw Commissioners with other Chiefs and Warriors, kept this treaty two or three days at my quarters, we could not, nor did we ever understand or approve it.
      My People were worn out, they Could not get their annuity till the treaty was done, for the last week we were verry badly fed and most of them gone home. But the Genl. requested what Chickasaws were on the ground attend, a little before night, my health was verry bad, at candle light Genl. Coffee called on the Chiefs to sign the treaty. This he done repeatedly. They hesitated and said there was something in it they did not understand and requested to postpone untill tomorrow, at which the Genl. got angry and accused the chiefs with ignorance, duplicity, and meaness, charged them with trifling with his official character as well as with his private feelings. He told them if they would not sign the paper then he would leave them and got up off his seat and went off as tho he was gone. Absent a few minutes and returned and commenced his villifying the chiefs again, and told them they must sign the paper then or he would never return, to try to make a treaty with them again. They might remain, suffer and die under the state laws for what he cared. After long contunued abuse and menace from Genl .Coffee, the Chiefs signed the paper or treaty.
      The second paper signed on next day, was presented to the chiefs by Mr. Secretary Anderson in presence of Genl. Coffee. It was not read. The Chiefs were told, that the paper had been read by Levi Colbert and others or read and explained to him and was well understood. Therefore it was unnecessary to read it and interpret it to them. Levi Colbert was at that time absent and sick in his tent on these representations, the chiefs present, signed the paper without knowing what was in it, nor do they yet know its contents.
      On the third day the supplement was presented, read, and Genl. Coffee told the Indians that -- that paper was to cure all those defects in the first papers as he had promised them. Levi Colbert was still absent and sick.
      About the time Genl. Coffee presented us with his treaty about government selling our lands and puting so much money in stock, my Nation did not know what to do, we were disposed to trust, but we did not know how to do it. To our help, we invited Capt Cook, Wm. Cooper attorney at law, Col. Terrell and our Subagent Major Allen. I had known these men long and they all had the confidence of my Nation &c. I thought had the confidence of Genl. Coffee. These gentlemen explained plainly, the nature of government land sales and bank stock, so that in less than two days we got along under good way, soon to finish the treaty, when this distracting reservation question came up. They viewing the matter purely, purely Chickasaw, left us, untill we would settle it.
      The half breeds supported Genl. Coffee and the Genl supported them. The alarm was common that the Genl. would never treat without reservations. If the Chiefs would not allow them, it was strongly impressed on us, that he would treat with the half breeds themselves. I said if he will he must, they have no power. When the half breeds and the Genl. can't get reserves. He semed to get mad and desperate, he desired my white friends to leave my quarters, leave the Chiefs to him, our friends done so, and my Nation was left helpless and friendless. This action of Genl. Coffee, my nation took very hard and very unkind. He was a man of experience and education, we were nude from the hand of nature. He had his secretaries and other enlightened friends around him, we were deprived of the few friends on which we could rely.
      He wished of my Nation a treaty, new to us in all its relations. We knew not how to get along with it, our friends laboured us sincerely to promote a treaty, and a treaty strickly within Genl. Coffee's basis, as himself. Genl. Coffee did, and I told him if he would let them half breeds and two or three whitement who were troubling his ears alone, in four days we could finish a good treaty.
      My Father, I beg you to listen, I know Genl. Coffee stands near your heart, and I am among the last men who would do or say any thing to wound your feelings, but facts in this matter, your generosity will forgive. In the Franklin treaty, reservations were given to Major Allen, Col. Reynolds, McClish and Magee, with others, and to myself, five sections and a half. The renewal of any part of this treaty, and the allowance of reserves at the treaty of Pontetoc, the Genl. well knew at an early day, would not be agreed to. He pressed these matters on us, so hard & so long, and so rough, this was the foundation, and final loss of all confidence on both sides. I told hiom, the Nation had given strong helps to enlighten our half breeds, we wanted their help in our councils, we had paid many thousands of dollars of their debts to save them from the white laws, nothing paid back. They are the first of our nation to turn against whatthe steady old chiefs believe, the most solid good for this nation. They seem to calculate for there own pockets forgetful of their country. I told him my Nation was soon to be left alone to search a new and fair of home all the troubles, expenses and evils of it, were on our own backs.
      No help but the price of our country. It was my intention to vest largely, through the President in bank stock, let the old corn stand and my generations feed on the new, year by year, but I wanted a good country first. I wished he would shut his ears to this half people and let us make a treaty all satisfied old friends. I proposed to the general many amendments to his treaty, Such as my heart tells me, was just for the government and my Nation. He denies my words. I tell him, my words are the wishes and words of my Nation, (which he has long known very plain), he says my Nation got no sense. I tell him, if my people make a bad bargan it will be our loss, not the governments. he says he knows best for us and would do it. So I know all confidence and good feeling is gone.
      This makes the treaty last five weeks, a few of my people signed those papers influenced by the impetus of the moment, and at that moment, hoping for that redress from our Father the President which we think the State of the Genl's feelings denied us, in treaty, for in addition to my former observations, at the signing of the treaty When the Genl got up and went off he said as he had repeatedly said before, that if we did not sign the treaty then, that he was authorized by the President to say that -- that was the last time, he would ever send a commissioner to us, and if we did not sign them, he would directly leave ud for ever, to the severitys of the state laws.
      We thought this gentleman was the friend of the President and brought to us his heart, that he was the officer of a great government, Mad with my Nation and my Nation weak, we looked for all the furiy on us. So we sign the paper.
      When my Father used to treat with us he gave to us, a copy of what was done. I sent Pitman Colbert and my son to the Genl the evening before hr started from the treaty ground, requesting copies of all which had been done. Very harshly -- he denied my messengers, the next day he sent to me the letter marked K, but I should very much like to know, what was in that dumb paper because that paper gives me much uneasiness, as does the suppliment, for I never saw either.
      In relation to the salt lick and lands on the river Sandy in Tennessee, I ask leave to say a few words. I was down sick in my tent, Genl. Coffee came to me and said you have now sold your Country. Nothing have been done with the salt lick and the land on Sandy rever in Tennessee. I say to Genl Coffee I am too sick to talk about it. Your honour and your Justice for it do what is right. I was unable to do any thing. Well he went off, and I hear from all hands, white and red, that he put in the suppliment, in this way, he ceeds these 16 Sections to the government at one Dollar and twenty five cents the acre and binds the government to pay Mr. Currin one dollar for every acre and the Chickasaws one -- twenty five cents for every acre. I can't see the reason of or the Justice of this way. Robert P. Currin has paid us but five hundred dollars, the treaty of Franklin is dead, this is all we can get. Why that gentle man should receive ten thousand two hundred and forty dollars seems to my Nation very strong indeed.
      My Father -- I beg the President and the Senate to consider of the losses, expenses and difficulties, My Nation must meet in removing to the west, this question [k]nows from its nature can't be counters, but to a whole Nation is appalling. The Chickasaw feel a native born attachment for their Country and it seems to me true, that nature presents nothing in the west, which can make the Chickasaws more happy there -- than here, their Native and beloved land. It is true that my Nation become willing to sell their Country, to put down that bitter question of State Sovereignty, to keep peace in the white family, to preserve the Union of the United States whose friendship and protection we want, and our selves, to get away from the troubles which our white brothers fixed upon us. It is the result of our weakness and we surrender our Country to cure the evils we never created. The whole question considered, to us it seems right that the United States pay the Chickasaws one hundred thousand dollars as asked for in thier treaty. We hope the our father the President and Senate will think with us and afford their powerful aid, this will help soften the Chickasaw hearts. Convince them of the liberality and Justice of the United States, and promote the brother hood of the white and red men in the west.
      My great and beloved father, the whole Chickasaw Nation, by my heart and my mouth, in this last attempted bargain, for their last foot of land within the United States, beg leave to speak as they feel. My whole Nation is deeply distatisfied with Genl. Coffees treaty, for remedy, we do not Cast our selves into the arms your Enemys, but like true and faithful children, we come first to you and bring our complaints to our fathers wisdom and justice, we ask of him to except of our treaty of this date, with which my whole Nation will be satisfied and strong friends as they always have been.
      My father, at the treaty at Pontetoc, we were shorn of our friends, of our lands and of the government we always love'd, our country, lov'd for ages, by one treaty of the other, is gone. Soon to blaze with the white mans fires and my Nation again must kindle a feeble light in the wilds where the ax nor the hoe has never been heard, but my father will do us justice now and let us part in peace, so that I may have truth in my mouth and may say to my people in the west, altho it was necessary for the happiness of the United States to have our old Country, yet General Jackson and the Senate, has been honest, Just and liberal.
      I want my father, to keep down the tomhawk in the Chickasaw hands for ever. Will my father listen. My Chiefs and warriors heard the Presidents talks which he made to us at Franklin in the house of God. Remember my Father, the true and living fire, which caught in your breast, flowed in your eyes, and imparted a heavenly flame into all our bosoms, -- can my Nation now, in the midst of its difficulties, look to this President and the Constitution which rules him, for a protecting guardian. Can the injured in their weakness, find in this man a never failing friend. A broad field my father is presented, it is the cause of justice, humanity and weakness. It is not the voice of restive man which ought to a wake the sensibilities of the President and Senate, but the cry of a Naked Nation contending with one man for their National rights, will arise those authorities to defend the powerless, and show to the world, that -- that spirit of liberity and equality, which distinquishes the United States from all the Empires in the world, is not as many might imagine, a jealously and defense of their own particular rights, an unwillingness to be oppressed themselves but a high respect for the rights of Others, -- an unwillingness, that any man high or low should be wronged.
      This is the living shasow of the great spirit. The inside dress which the Almighty Cherishes, and gives to true greatness, all its action and all its immortality, these in the American character tells to the world that -- that liberity, which God gave and Washington left, has no security any further than this uprightness and just benevolence acts on and governs community.

      Truly your old and constant friend

      Levi [his X mark] Colbert Principal chief of the Chickasaws

      Ho to pa King of the Chickasaws X
      Aj ian it ub bee his X mark

      Tish she min go his X mark
      In ki za his X mark

      George Colbert his X mark
      Mah to cush ub ba his X mark

      Saml. Sealy his X mark
      Es ta kin tub ba his X mark

      Capt. Wm. McGilvery his X mark
      Eye yum mo tub ba his X mark

      Toh pul cah his X mark
      Par sha muh stub ba his X mark

      Pis tul lut ub ba his X mark
      James Brown his X mark

      Levi Colbert his X mark
      Im oke leo sher ho oi ya his X mark

      Isaac Alberson his X mark
      James Wolf his X mark

      Ib bar ma hut ub bee his X mark
      Took lub ba his X mark

      Tam she cah his X mark
      Il bar ma hub ba his X mark

      Ah to co wah his X mark
      Nin uck as ba his X mark

      Co chub ba his X mark
      E mub ba his X mark

      Im mer ho tut ub ba his X mark
      Cah nar wo kes his X mark

      Pitman Colbert
      I yar hun tub ba his X mark

      Ish tim mo tut ca his X mark
      Ib bar ma hut ub ba his X mark

      Oke lar nar nub ba his X mark
      Titch ar pla his X mark

      Chick asaw nar nub ba his X mark
      Il lar fa nub ba his X mark

      Ful lar mo tub ba his X mark
      O on tim ie est ub ba his X mark

      Fo lo ta cher his X mark
      Pis tor lub ba his X mark

      Ber ha cut ub ba his X mark
      To calth ho cha his X mark

      Er thli ca his X mark
      E lup ar ba his X mark

      O on ter ha cut ub ba his X mark
      Wo nie a pa his X mark

      Kin hi cha his X mark
      Shup paw wa his X mark

      Oke lar shuck ub ba Jr his X mark
      Im mer ho tut ub ba his X mark

      Cun mush cash ker his X mark
      Im mer ho bee his X mark

      Ish ta ki o kit ub ba his X mark

      James Glover his X mark

      Oki lar e lub ba his X mark

      Thos. Sealy his X mark

      Ehi a ctul ub ba his X mark

      Er far mer his X mark

      Hush tah tah hub bee his X mark

      Cha ke war tub ba his X mark

      Chick cub ba his X mark

      Signed in the presence of the following persons
      Dougherty Colbert Secty for the Chickasaws
      John L Allen
      John A Bynum
      Wm. H. Allen of Miss
      Jno. D Terrell of Alabama
      Alexander Colbert

      Chickasaw Exploring Party of 1831 & 31, ?? 1832:
      [M-234 Roll #136]

      Statement Showing the number of Chickasaws composing the Exploring party in 1830 & 31.

      No of Days
      Amount

      and pay
      Paid
      Amount
      Whole

      Name
      Per day
      them
      Unpaid
      Amount

      1. Levi Colbert
      134 @ 2.00
      128.80
      147.20
      268.00

      2. Ei-o-che-tubbe
      134 @ 2.00
      179.30
      88.70
      268.00

      3. In-mah-hoo-la-tubbe
      134 @ 2.00
      85.07
      182.93
      268.00

      4. Thomas Sely
      134 @ 2.00
      197.66
      70.34
      268.00

      5. Ish-ta-hi-ya-ha-tubbe
      134 @ 2.00
      76.24
      191.76
      268.00

      6. Ah-to-ko-mah
      134 @ 2.00
      68.28
      198.72
      268.00

      7. Pitman Colbert
      134 @ 2.00
      102.32
      165.68
      268.00

      8. Newberry
      134 @ 2.00
      116.87
      151.13
      268.00

      9. James Brown
      134 @ 2.00
      65.45
      202.55
      268.00

      10. Oh-hu-cubbe
      134 @ 2.00
      73.61
      194.39
      268.00

      11. Ish-ket-ta-ka
      134 @ 2.00
      75.70
      192.30
      268.00

      12. Oke-lab-ha-cubbe
      134 @ 2.00
      91.37
      176.63
      268.00

      13. Elap-link-bab-tubbe
      134 @ 2.00
      99.57
      168.43
      268.00

      14. Shu-ma-cha-be
      134 @ 2.00
      73.70
      194.30
      268.00

      15. Kin-hoi-cha
      22 @ 2.00
      47.81

      44.00

      16. Henry Love
      52 @ 2.00
      2.50
      101.50
      104.00

      1950 @ 2.00
      1,477.25
      2,426.56
      3,900.00

      deduct over payment to No. 15.

      3.81

      1,273.44

      To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.comCC: CSinghWorthington@...: csinghworthington@...: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 06:02:23 -0800Subject: RE: [genpcncfir] Re: Braxton family

      Dear John,You are probably right about your Braxton lineageto James Braxton, Jr. Linda Eckerd, who hascorresponded with you, or Kenny Braxton, who has aBraxton website, would be the most likely of ourfamily to have early photos. Kenny has photos postedon his web. Linda has sent me some of hers. One thatparticularly stands out for me is that of Elias A.Braxton, my cousin who wrote from his home in Texas tothe editor of the Greenville Daily Reflector in 1911[Pitt County Family Researchers' Genealogy Quarterly,Feb. 1995 I believe is the issue in which that letterwith his family information in it is contained]. I was so impressed that I copied that photo andshowed it to my family. My younger brother could behis clone.Back to you shortly,Carol--- John Meyer <hookipajohn@...> wrote:> > I am researching so many parts of my family I forget> sometimes if I responded to this e-mail. > > 1. RICHARD R.1 ALLEN was born Abt. 1768 in North> Carolina, and died Bef. 25 May 1840 in Madison> County,> MS. He married (1) MARY BRAXTON Bef. 1786 in Dickson> County, TN (Originally Part Of NC). She was> born in NC, and died Bef. 1835 in Madison County,> MS. He married (2) JANE FOSTER 24 Aug 1835 in> Madison County, MS. She was born 1785, and died 11> Nov 1865 in Madison County, MS.> > As you can see my Allen and Braxton family merge in> Dickson County Tenn. I am assuming that this must be> the daughter of James Braxton Jr. I would love to> have a Braxton family group sheet to find my 5th> great grandmother and then to see her family.> > John> > > To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.comFrom:> ljeckerd@...: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:03:31> +0000Subject: [genpcncfir] Re: Braxton family> > > > > Hi John,I'm confused, are you descended from Lacey> Braxton? If so, he only had 3 sons by Elizabeth> Parker... Marion, Elbert and Elias (my> grgrgrandfather). Elias is the only one who lived to> have children. Lacey had 6 more children with 2nd> wife Lizzina Tripp; John M., Eliza, Mary, Patrick,> James and Friedonia. Lacey's family did move to> Tennessee. Elias's family mostly moved on to Texas.> Elias married Margaret J. Epps and had 8 children.> Let me know if I can help you with this line. Linda> E.--- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, John Meyer> <hookipajohn@...> wrote:>> Surnames, Allen, Braxton,> Johnston, White, Minyard, Harrod, Holland, Lee,> Davis, and other's> > > Thank you very much. You> brought exciting news.> > I would be thrilled to> hear anything about the Braxton's family line.> > I> would like to see if I have correct what you have> told me so far, It all fits> with the rest of my> family.> > My 6th great grandmother Mary Braxton's> father was 7. James Braxton Jr.> James Braxton Jr's> father was 8. James Braxton Sr.> James Braxton Sr's> parent's were 9. Lacey Braxton and first wife> Elizabeth Parker.> Lacey Braxton m. 2. Lizina Tripp,> daughter of Arthur Tripp.> Lacey Braxton and second> wife had a son Elias Braxton.> Lacey Braxton's> parent's were 10. John Braxton m. Hannah unknown.> >> From another posting I have the date for John> Braxton abt. 1710 Scotland.> > John> > > > > > > >__________________________________________________________> You keep typing, we keep giving. Download Messenger> and join the i�m Initiative now.> http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGLM> > [Non-text portions of this message have been> removed]> > > > Pitt County Historical Society: > http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/ > > CHRONICLES VOL.II AVAILABLE!! Click here for> description and ordering information:> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir/files/> > Click here to view CHRONICLE PHOTO, use SlideShow:> http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir/lst > > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form: > >http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm> > Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical Resources:> http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/> > http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/> > We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to> join our dynamic group if you are interested in> genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all> Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties.> GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In Research> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir > > Yahoo! Groups Links> > > > > __________________________________________________________Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs