15003RE: [genpcncfir] NC Militia at Guilford and Pitt Militia

    Aug 1, 2006
      The following is an excerpt from Sketches of Pitt County--

      "The year 1781 did not dawn bright for the cause of liberty in North
      Carolina, and strong efforts were being made to raise men and money, both of
      which were so badly needed. Men from Pitt County were in the armies in South
      Carolina, in Virginia, in Pennsylvania, and elsewhere. North Carolina was
      being invaded by a victorious army and only a few of its militia, with some
      troops from some other States, could be at its front. It was a pursuit and
      retreat until General Greene faced about and turned back to fight Lord
      Cornwallis. On the 15th of March they met at Guilford Court-House, and
      though General Greene withdrew from the field at the end of the fight, it
      was practically an American victory. Pitt County had many militia under
      General Butler in that fight. Dr. Robert Williams was a surgeon there. There
      has been much written about how the militia run on that occasion. It was
      only a mistake in understanding orders."

      Paula Anne Baker
      paulabaker69@...
      Greene County NC

      "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
      chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
      before us and showed us the way."

      Thomas Mann
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic