      From that day to this the stream has been known as "Toisnot Swamp." Though
      spelled Toisnot it is pronounced Toss-Not.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Jo Webb" <jowebb@...>
      To: <genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 1:23 PM
      Subject: [genpcncfir] Indian Heritage

      > Before arrival of Raleigh's colonist the Tuscarora Confederacy, of
      Iroquoian Stock were in control of practically all of NC, from the coastal
      plains west of the band of low-lying coastal swamps to the piedmont, and
      from the present Va. line southward to the Cape Fear River.

      > There were hundreds of villages of Tuscarora, on every waterway and
      tributary in NC. The villages were spaced twenty to thirty miles from each
      other, so that each village would have room to hunt and fish without
      dwindling the natural resources.

      > The Tuscarora had a matriarchal society, consisting of Clans. The child
      always followed the mothers Clan and mating within the same Clan was
      prohibited. Each village or Clan had their own Chief, Sub or War Chief,
      Shaman, Medicine people, and Council, chosen by the Clan Mothers.

      > The Tuscarora ranged 50 to 100 miles from their towns along the Roanoke,
      Tar-Pamlico, Haw and Neuse river to fish and gather, and hunt. Traders also
      followed trails from the coast to the foothills, exercising a monopoly on
      trade between the coast and the piedmont. Sometimes the Tuscarora built
      towns for hunting quarters. The Tuscarora language was understood by most
      tribes and was the trade language used, and also the Tuscaroras's were
      referred to by the white men as the first "five percent men". Meaning they
      charged passage through their country, on their ferry systems, in which
      large hemp ropes lay across rivers, and creeks and log barges were pulled
      across. A copy of this system still exists today called the Sans Souci
      Ferry in Bertie County, North Carolina.