13255Re: Trecy Edwards/Jean Jo

  • kakgkp
    Apr 2, 2005
      Faye,

      I'm pretty sure Jo's suggestion is correct. I have Treasy Felton -
      first husband Thomas W. Edwards and second husband Thomas Wesley
      Owens. The Reddin in the 1880 census (who is 10 years older than the
      other children) is her son by her first husband. And, in the 1870
      census, you'll find the other Edwards children from her first
      marriage listed as well.

      North Carolina Marriage Bonds
      Groom: Thomas W. Edwards
      Bride: Treasy Felton
      Bond Date: 18 Dec 1854
      Bond #: 000043486
      Marriage Date: 21 Dec 1854
      County: Edgecombe
      Record #: 01 059
      Bondsman: Elias (X) Sumer
      Witness: W.S. Pitt, Cl
      Performed by: J. R. Pitt, Justice of the Peace

      1860 U.S. Federal Census, Edgecombe, NC
      Tarboro post office, p. 156 (268), dwelling 1350, family 1267, Thos
      W Edwards household; National Archives microfilm publication M653,
      roll 896

      Thos W Edwards, 32
      Treacy Edwards, 22
      Gray W, 4
      Catharine E., 3
      Redden, 1
      Celeda, 16
      Edmond Corbett

      1870 U.S. Federal Census, Otters Creek, Edgecombe, NC
      Sparta post office, p. 13 (89), dwelling 103, family 103, Wesley
      Owens household; National Archives microfilm publication M593, roll
      1136

      Wesley Owens, 26
      Trecey Owens, 30
      Malichi R. Owens, 1
      Charles H. Owens, 4/12
      Gray Edwards, 15
      Catherine Edwards, 12
      Redding Edwards, 11
      Sally A.S. Edwards, 8
      Louisy Brinkley, 80

      In 1850, Treasy Felton is listed with her parents - Thomas Felton
      and Telitha Sparkman in the Edgecombe census.

      A few things I'm curious about...

      What is your source for Lazarus as the father of Thomas Wesley
      Owens? I've never been able to find Thomas W prior to the 1870
      census. There is a Lazarus Owens in Georgia in 1850 with a son
      Thomas W of the right age, but he came to Georgia from Haywood
      County, NC and his son Thomas W was born in Ga. Lazarus, son of
      Elias, I know nothing about except that he married Sarah Burris and
      I don't believe that he is the Lazarus living in Georgia. If you
      have any info on Lazarus or Elias, I would LOVE to share!

      What is your source for Robert Malachi Owens marrying Mary Elizabeth
      Langley? I have a Mary Elizabeth Langley married to Robert F. Owens
      and Malachi R. Owens married to Annie Corbett. Annie's mother
      Jeanette Corbett is living with Annie and the children in the 1900
      census, after the death of Malachi (Mack) R. Owens in 1899 (his
      estate is in the NC archives under Edgecombe County) and is the head
      of household with the kids in the 1910 census (I guess Annie died
      too). B.F. Eagles is appointed guardian of Malachi and Annie's four
      children as well as the minor children of Thomas Wesley on 9 Nov
      1903.

      What is your source for Catherine Bridgers as second spouse of
      Thomas Wesley? I always thought there was a spouse between Treacy
      and Mahala, but wasn't sure. Did Catherine die in childbirth with
      Fred Exum? Thomas W. was listed as a widow in the 1900 census.

      Do you know anything about Wesley Gray Owens' first wife Annie? He's
      listed with her in the 1910 and 1920 censuses and appears to have
      married Maggie abt. 1922. Is that correct?

      You also mentioned the son, Charlie. Here's what I have on him:

      Charles H. Owens b. abt. 1870 d. bef 1906
      Mirtha Webb b. abt. Oct 1871 (I think you listed the marriage date
      incorrectly...by 1916 Charles was deceased).
      Walter Owens b. abt Sep 1892 prob. died bef Oct 1906 (not mentioned
      in father's estate and would have still been a minor child)
      William Gaston Owens b. 4 Sep 1895
      Charles David Owens b. abt. Jun 1899
      Mirtha Blanche Owens b. abt. 1903

      Mirtha remarried abt. 1909 to Thaddeus (Thad) C. Cale and she and
      the three children are listed with him in the 1910 Edgecombe census.
      Full names of the children came from the 1906 estate of Charles H.
      Owens found in the NC Archives (I have a copy if you want it).

      Hope this helps,

      Kimberly Powell

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, eahsr16@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 3/31/2005 9:23:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > jowgen@e... writes:
      > Faye,
      >
      > 1860 census - Edgecombe Co, NC pg 156
      >
      > There is a Thos W Edwards 32 with Treasy 22.
      >
      > Is it possible that Trecy was married first to Thomas Edwards??
      >

      > 1880 census in Otters Creek, Edgecombe Co, NC pg 209:
      >
      > T W Owens 35
      > Terecy 40
      > Reddin 20
      > Mack 11
      > Charlie 9
      > Joseph 7
      > Thomas 5;
      > Ephrum 3
      > Hannah? 3/12
      >
      > Jean "Jo"
      > jowgen@e...
      > ____________________
      > I was working on graphics tonight and installing filters when your
      message
      > came in, so saw it right away. I haven't been able to find Trecy
      Edwards at all.

      > Thomas Wesley Owens was married 3 times.
      > _________________________
      >
      > Descendants of Thomas Wesley Owens
      >

      > Generation No. 1
      >
      > 1. Thomas Wesley5 Owens (Lazarus4, Elias Sr.3, John II 2, John
      (Sr)1) was
      > born 1846 in Edgecombe Co, NC, and died Bef. 1903 in Edgecombe Co,
      NC. He
      > married (1) Trecy Edwards November 05, 1867 in Edgecombe C., NC.
      She was born
      > Abt. 1846. He married (2) Catherine Bridgers April 02, 1885.
      He married (3)
      > Mahala Webb October 30, 1900.
      >
      > Notes for Thomas Wesley Owens:
      > Corporal Born in Edgecombe County where he resided as a farmer
      prior to
      > enlisting in Edgecombe County at age 16, January 25, 1862.
      Mustered in as Private
      > Company E, 43rd Regiment. Promoted to Corporal on November 1,
      1864. Present or
      > accounted for until he surrendered at Appomattox Court House,
      Virginia, April
      > 9, 1865.
      >
      > Children of Thomas Owens and Trecy Edwards are:
      > 2 i. Robert Malachi6 Owens. He married Mary Elizabeth Langley.
      > 3 ii. Ephram Owens, born 1876.
      > 4 iii. Fanny Owens, born February 11, 1880. She married Hymrick
      Hyman
      > Harrell.
      >

      > Children of Thomas Owens and Catherine Bridgers are:
      > 5 i. Eddie Brooks6 Owens.
      > 6 ii. Sara Elizabeth Owens, born December 22, 1886. She married
      (1) Johnnie
      > Harrell Abt. 1915. She married (2) Hymrick Hyman Harrell Abt.
      1917.
      > 7 iii. Wesley Gray Owens, born June 12, 1888; died December 07,
      1965. He
      > married Magnolia Edmondson.
      > 8 iv. Dora Bessie Owens, born March 02, 1890. She married Grover
      Harrell.
      > 9 v. Fred Exum Owens, born 1891 in Edgecombe Co, NC; died 1944 in
      Edgecombe
      > Co, NC. He married Lula Edwards December 22, 1916 in Edgecombe
      C., NC.

      > It looks as if half sisters Fannie Owens married Hymrick Hyman
      Harrell as
      > well as her half sister, Sara Elizabeth Owens.
      >
      > I am interested in Charlie Owens, grandson of Thomas Wesley Owens
      and Teresa
      > Edwards. Charlie married Myrtha Webb Nov 17, 1916 in Edgecombe
      Co., NC,