11462Re: [genpcncfir] ANTI VIRUS PROGRAMS

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Apr 1, 2004
      Hi Marilyn and all,

      It is quite scary to have something mess up your computer like that. I am overly stringent to prevent something like that, which tends to get me into trouble - like when I delete a system file, not once but twice!

      I am retired as a computer programmer. To keep up with my computer, I receive information from Kim Komando at www.komando.com (careful a mistype takes you where you DO NOT want to go. I commend to you her advice. She recommends having a security and a firewall. She frequently recommends products and solutions � and many are free.

      You can find information on her site using a search feature.

      Entering �firewall�, I see there is input from people who are NOT satisfied with Norton Antivirus with Firewall. I do not use it, but I recommend that you see what they say before you try it. There might be a common mistakes you could avoid.

      Entering �ZoneAlarm� gives input on that product. I can see the overviews are similar to my own experience. I downloaded this particular product � choosing the 2 week trial version of one that they charge for. I was unhappy with all its bells and whistles and removed it after two days. A positive result was that my computer is now free of all the trash that gave me popup ads at an alarming rate. I liked the results so much I would download it (and remove it) again if they startup again. I am planning to try the totally free version when I have a moment I wish to experiment with it.

      I hope this helps, I would be happy to talk about this again.

      See Kim�s topic �Questions about downloading software?�

      FREE SOFTWARE that she recommends, includes:

      1. Spyware and Adware Squasher - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
      Fight back against ad-supported software components (otherwise known as "spyware") with Adaware, a free removal utility that scans your system and allows you to safely remove spyware components from your memory, registry and hard drives. (Which also gets my son�s approval.)

      2. Free Virus Protection - http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
      AVG AntiVirus is freeware that protects your computer from viruses and worms. Place infected files in a vault or clean them. The easy-to-use interface allows you to scan on demand and set up for e-mail protection. Download updates for free!

      squizzie <squizzie@...> wrote:
      Hi Everyone,

      Well as you can see Jewelle (bless her heart) got me back up and running
      with the group again. Have a question for everyone. Has anyone used
      Norton Antivirus with Firewall? I have Norton Antivirus, but it could
      not remove the trojan virus from the computer. Had to get a program
      called Trojan Remover. Or does anyone have any good suggestions?

      Appreciate any and all help.

      GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      To visit your group on the web, go to: