lilgp (or other gp) in real-time?

  • Mike Egglston
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2002

      I have made extensive modifications to lilgp for a project
      I am playing with, but am having problems with this latest
      bit. I sent an email to someone and would like that I had
      kept a copy of the email, but oh well.

      Take for example an environment, two dimensional for
      simplicity, that has scattered around a biotoxin. Givenn
      the cartisian coordinates of the biotoxin generate an
      individual that evaluates to a probability that a given
      coordinate has biotoxin at that location. This problem
      works for static locations of biotoxin. Now say that this
      two dimensional space is a river, still only dealing
      with the surface for simplicity, and that river moves
      a given distance X in a given time unit T. Take the gp,
      'prime' the individuals with the static data so the gp
      has a place to start, and then start the river moving.

      For the moving window of data, add 1X of data to the
      beginning (most recent) side of the data window and
      remove 1X from the end (least recent) side of the
      data window. Like the window of a train watching the
      landscape roll past.

      So far I have reduced the overall distance of the river
      analyzed from 100X to 10X so the gp is more responsive
      to new data entering. But, the gp is not responsive
      enough. Using lilgp, which I like a lot, I have modified
      the run_gp() function to recalculate the adjusted
      fitness of each of the best individuals each time new
      data is added to the to the data window, but it seems
      as if the overall idea is not working. It seems as if
      the gp (lilgp) is still keeping the absolute (best of
      run) adjusted fitness regardless of where I re-evaluate
      the equations for the data.

      Can anyone help?

      I am close to writing my own gp to make this work,
      but for the time involved and that lilgp has so many
      things about it that I like... I'd rather not write
      my own.

      Mike
    • Terry Van Belle
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 15, 2002
        Hi Mike,

        lilgp caches the fitness values of the genomes for efficiency. If the
        fitness will change over the lifetime of the individual, you need to
        invalidate the cache each time. In the app_eval_fitness routine, you need
        to do this:

        ind->evald = EVAL_CACHE_INVALID;

        Hope this helps,
        Terry