Re: [GP] Solution to major problem in GP

  • Luis Guillermo RESTREPO RIVAS
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30 3:23 PM
      Hello Candida Ferreira,

      I really apreciete your excelent work.

      Your critics are only showing publicly their ignorance.

      Best regards

      Luis Guillermo RETREPO RIVAS
      http://LuisGuillermo.com
    • Dan Costelloe
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
        On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Martin Sewell wrote:

        > At 18:14 29/09/2002 +0200, Mattias Fagerlund wrote:
        > > > I invented a new evolutionary algorithm that makes GP
        > > > completely obsolete.
        > >
        > >Oooh, completely obsolete, eh? Then what are you still doing on the GP
        > >mailinglist, visiting dinosaurs?
        >
        > Marketing...badly.
        >
        > Martin

      • Dan Costelloe
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2002
          apologies for that last mail: accidental

          -dan
        • Eric Johnson
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2002
            On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 16:34:17 +0100
            "Candida Ferreira" <candidaf@...> wrote:

            > In fact, except for some papers already submitted, I intend
            > not to publish papers anymore. All the new developments made to
            > GEP will appear very soon in my book.

            For what it's worth, I think most researchers place greater
            value in peer reviewed papers than what is in books. At least
            with a peer reviewed paper in a journal, you know that someone
            competent has read the paper and found it worthwhile.

            > In the 17 years or so GP is around nothing similar was done
            > while one person alone implemented all these things in GEP
            > in less than three months.

            In nearly all cases that I've seen claims like this, the person
            making them was a kook. I'm not saying you are a kook, it's
            just that the remark is very similar to ones of people who are
            convinced they are the only ones in the world who know the TRUTH.

            For example, one kook used to spend much time posting messages
            on a neuroscience Usenet newsgroup claimed to be the world's
            foremost mathematician, physicist, and neuroscientist. He came
            up with some nonsensical conjecture about how the brain works.
            (It was clear he wasn't much of a neuroscientist when he claimed
            that the neurofibrillary tangles found in Alzheimer's disease
            were tangles of neurons.) But he always made such claims about
            how great his work was and how everyone else was wrong.

            In other words, most of the time someone makes such claims, they
            may safely be ignored.

            And sometimes, it is from someone new in a field that does not
            understand the field well enough, yet.

            But every once in a while, the claims are true. But it can
            take a while for everyone to distiguish these people from the
            kooks.

            It helps to avoid being perceived as a possible kook.

            Eric Johnson