Distributed Evolutionary Algorithm in Python (DEAP) Turns 1.0

  • f.derainville
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2014
      Dear ECers,

      After more than 4 years of development, we are proud to announce the
      release of DEAP 1.0.0. You can download a copy of this release at the
      following web page.

      https://pypi.python.org/pypi/deap

      DEAP (Distributed Evolutionary Algorithms in Python) is a novel evolutionary
      computation framework for rapid prototyping and testing of ideas. Its design
      departs from most other existing frameworks in that it seeks to make algorithms
      explicit and data structures transparent, as opposed to the more common black
      box type of frameworks.

      To get to know more about DEAP and the current release, we invite you
      to read the most recent article on DEAP published in SIGEvolution volume 6,
      issue 2, pp. 17-26.

      http://sigevolution.org/

      An IPython notebook version of the article is also available.

      https://github.com/DEAP/notebooks

      This release includes:
      - Major overhaul of statistics computing and logging;
      - Ability to do Object Oriented Genetic Programming (OOGP);
      - Symbolic regression benchmarks for GP;
      - New tutorials and better documentation;
      - Several new examples from diverse fields;
      - and several other changes.

      Every changes of this release are detailed in the documentation.

      http://deap.gel.ulaval.ca/doc/default/releases.html

      To help users translate code from 0.9.x to 1.0.0, we have also written
      a new porting guide that details every change required to use DEAP 1.0.

      http://deap.gel.ulaval.ca/doc/default/porting.html

      Your feedback and comments are welcome at http://goo.gl/LZkdi4 or
      deap-users at googlegroups dot com. You can also follow us on Twitter @deapdev,
      and on our blog http://deapdev.wordpress.com/.

      Best,

      François-Michel De Rainville
      Félix-Antoine Fortin
      Marc-André Gardner
      Christian Gagné
      Marc Parizeau

      Laboratoire de vision et systèmes numériques
      Département de génie électrique et génie informatique
      Université Laval
      Quebec City (Quebec), Canada
    • w langdon
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2014
        The latest version of SIGEvolution,
        the newsletter of the ACM, appears to be available:
        http://www.sigevolution.org/ (or GP bibliography;-)

        It contains:
        Evolutionary Game Design by Cameron Browne
        GECCO-2013 competition report
        calls & calendar
        as well as Francois-Michel's article on DEAP

        Bill

        Dr. W. B. Langdon,
        Department of Computer Science,
        University College London
        Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
        http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/

        GECCO 2014 http://www.sigevo.org/gecco-2014/
        EuroGP 2014 http://www.evostar.org/cfpEuroGP.html
        choose your background
        http://web4.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/colour_telephone/bgcolor.html
        A Field Guide to Genetic Programming
        http://www.gp-field-guide.org.uk/
        GP EM http://www.springer.com/10710
        GP Bibliography http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~wbl/biblio/
        On 2/20/14, f.derainville <f.derainville@...> wrote:

        > Dear ECers,
        >
        > After more than 4 years of development, we are proud to announce the
        > release of DEAP 1.0.0. You can download a copy of this release at the
        > following web page.
        >
        > https://pypi.python.org/pypi/deap
        >
        > DEAP (Distributed Evolutionary Algorithms in Python) is a novel evolutionary
        > computation framework for rapid prototyping and testing of ideas. Its design
        > departs from most other existing frameworks in that it seeks to make
        > algorithms
        > explicit and data structures transparent, as opposed to the more common
        > black
        > box type of frameworks.
        >
        > To get to know more about DEAP and the current release, we invite you
        > to read the most recent article on DEAP published in SIGEvolution volume 6,
        > issue 2, pp. 17-26.
        >
        > http://sigevolution.org/
        >
        > An IPython notebook version of the article is also available.
        >
        > https://github.com/DEAP/notebooks
        >
        > This release includes:
        > - Major overhaul of statistics computing and logging;
        > - Ability to do Object Oriented Genetic Programming (OOGP);
        > - Symbolic regression benchmarks for GP;
        > - New tutorials and better documentation;
        > - Several new examples from diverse fields;
        > - and several other changes.
        >
        > Every changes of this release are detailed in the documentation.
        >
        > http://deap.gel.ulaval.ca/doc/default/releases.html
        >
        > To help users translate code from 0.9.x to 1.0.0, we have also written
        > a new porting guide that details every change required to use DEAP 1.0.
        >
        > http://deap.gel.ulaval.ca/doc/default/porting.html
        >
        > Your feedback and comments are welcome at http://goo.gl/LZkdi4 or
        > deap-users at googlegroups dot com. You can also follow us on Twitter
        > @deapdev,
        > and on our blog http://deapdev.wordpress.com/.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > François-Michel De Rainville
        > Félix-Antoine Fortin
        > Marc-André Gardner
        > Christian Gagné
        > Marc Parizeau
        >
        > Laboratoire de vision et systèmes numériques
        > Département de génie électrique et génie informatique
        > Université Laval
        > Quebec City (Quebec), Canada

      • Douglas Mota
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2014
          Hello, ECers and GPers!

          Congratulations to DEAP folks and thanks a lot for that!

          Please, any news about the following issue? :

          "We are pleased to announce that,  after GECCO 2013, we plan to publish a special issue of the journal Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines, which will showcase the top entries from each competition. The authors of the winners will be asked to write a paper describing their methods and results. The papers will undergo review and be published in the journal (subject to reviewing results). We hope to make this a very special issue, highlighting the accomplishments of EC in challenging problems."
          http://www.geccocompetitions.com/2013/05/05/112/

          Cheers,

          Douglas Mota Dias, DSc
          Postdoctoral Researcher
          ICA: Applied Computational Intelligence Laboratory
          Department of Electrical Engineering
          Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro - PUC-Rio
          Brazil

        • Lee Spector
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 22, 2014
            On Feb 22, 2014, at 1:45 PM, Douglas Mota wrote:

            > Please, any news about the following issue? :
            >
            > "We are pleased to announce that, after GECCO 2013, we plan to publish a special issue of the journal Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines, which will showcase the top entries from each competition. The authors of the winners will be asked to write a paper describing their methods and results. The papers will undergo review and be published in the journal (subject to reviewing results). We hope to make this a very special issue, highlighting the accomplishments of EC in challenging problems."
            > http://www.geccocompetitions.com/2013/05/05/112/

            Hi Douglas,

            This is in progress, under the guest editorship of Daniele Loiacono and Moshe Sipper.

            -Lee (GPEM Editor-in-Chief)

            Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
            893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
            lspector@..., http://hampshire.edu/lspector/