CEC Competition at IEEE WCCI 2014 1st CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

  • Sergey Polyakovskiy
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2013
      **** CEC Competition at IEEE WCCI 2014 1st CALL FOR PARTICIPATION ****

      "Optimisation of Problems with Multiple Interdependent Components"
      CEC Competition at IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (WCCI 2014),
      July 6 - 11, 2014, Beijing International Convention Center, Beijing, China
      http://cs.adelaide.edu.au/~optlog/CEC2014Comp/

      ** Introduction **
      Real-world optimization problems often consist of several NP-hard combinatorial optimization problems that interact with each other. Such multi-component optimization problems are difficult to solve not only because of the contained hard optimization problems, but in particular, because of the interdependencies between the different components. Interdependence complicates a decision making by forcing each sub-problem to influence the quality and feasibility of solutions of the other sub-problems. This influence might be even stronger when one sub-problem changes the data used by another one through a solution construction process. Examples of multi-component problems are vehicle routing problems under loading constraints, the maximizing material utilization while respecting a production schedule, and the relocation of containers in a port while minimizing idle times of ships.

      The goal of this competition in combination with its associated special session is to provide a platform for researchers in computational intelligence working on multi-component optimization problems. The main focus of this competition is on the combination of TSP and Knapsack problems. However, we plan to extend this competition format to more complex combinations of problems (that have typically been dealt with individually in the past decades) in the upcoming years.

      ** Technical Details **
      The set of benchmarks used in this competition follows the idea of the "Travelling Thief Problem" (Mohammad Reza Bonyadi, Zbigniew Michalewicz,
      Luigi Barone: The travelling thief problem: The first step in the transition from theoretical problems to realistic problems. IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation 2013: 1037-1044). Eucledian 2D Traveling Salesperson instances are combined with 0-1-Knapsack instances in such a way that it reflects aspects of problems from the real-world; for example, the total weight of the items in the knapsack influences the travel speed of a traveller. This introduced interdependence sets our benchmarks apart from capacitated vehicle routing problem instances, where this interdependence does not exist.

      A range of sample instances will be available soon for researchers to experiment with before the final submission. The samples will include instances with few/many cities, with uncorrelated/correlated profits and weights, and instances with further characteristics.

      In order to encourage researchers during the weeks before the submission deadline, we invite them to submit solutions for the sample instances. These results will be displayed online (without a reference to the authors) and then will serve as performance indications for other researchers.

      ** Submission and Evaluation **
      Participants will submit executable files via an online system. These files will be run on our state of the art Linux servers. The evaluation criteria are

        - final solution quality after a fixed budget of fitness function evaluations (to mimic "expensive" evaluations), and
        - final solution quality after a fixed budget of computation time (to mimic the importance of "deadlines").

      The technical details will be published online in time.

      ** Association **
      This competition is associated with the Special Session EC23 Heuristic
      Methods for Multi-Component Optimization Problems.
      http://cs.adelaide.edu.au/~optlog/CEC2014/

      ** Prize **
      We are trying our best to secure money prizes from companies that apply computational intelligence methods, such as SolveIT Software (www.solveitsoftware.com), a leading provider of enterprise software for integrated planning and optimisation.

      ** Conference Participation **
      While we do not require this, we strongly encourage the participants to register for WCCI 2014 due to the advantages.

      ** Instances and Additional Details **
      To be announced shortly. Please do not hesitate to contact us in case you would like early access to the instances.

      ** Contacts **
      Sergey Polyakovskiy (sergey.polyakovskiy@...)
      Markus Wagner (markus.wagner@...)
      Mohammad Reza Bonyadi (mohammad.bonyadi@...)
      Frank Neumann (frank.neumann@...)
      Zbyszek Michalewicz (zbigniew.michalewicz@...)

      ********
      This special session is organized as a part of the IEEE Task Force on Evolutionary Scheduling and Combinatorial Optimization