ECAL'93 Proceedings: 100 early Artificial Life papers available online for the first time!

  • Tim Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2013
      I am pleased to announce an open-access electronic version of the Proceedings of the Second European Conference on Artificial Life (ECAL'93), now available at http://alife.org/ecal93/proceedings

      ECAL'93 took place in Brussels in May 1993. One hundred papers were presented at the conference, covering a wide variety of topics (including hard, soft and wet artificial life), with contributions from many well known authors. A hard-copy version of the proceedings (comprising 1179 pages over two volumes) was distributed to attendees, but this was not published more widely.

      The new electronic proceedings comprises scanned PDF versions of the original proceedings. This is the first time that many of these papers have been freely available.

      The papers provide a fascinating snapshot of the early development of the field of Artificial Life, 20 years later on. In addition, I think that many of the papers will be of relevance and interest to contemporary researchers. The electronic proceedings also fill a gap in the recent history of the subject, as ECAL'93 was the only conference in either the ECAL or ALIFE series for which proceedings had not been published.

      Thanks to Barry McMullin for allowing me to set the guillotine on his original hard-copy version of the proceedings for scanning, and to Hugues Bersini, one of the original ECAL'93 organizing committee, for his encouragement.

      Enjoy!

      Tim

      --
      http://www.tim-taylor.com