Re: [GP] ACM Topics for GP

  • Lee Spector
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2013
      This has been discussed quite a bit among the SIGEVO executive committee, in part because many of us agree that the 2012 categories are considerably worse than the 1998 categories, and although it can be difficult to get changes made at ACM I believe that progress was announced on this issue at GECCO last month. I will see if we can get an update on the issue posted to this list.

      -Lee

      Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
      893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
      lspector@..., http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
      Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438
    • Lee Spector
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31, 2013
        Wolfgang Banzhaf, the current Chair of ACM SIGEVO, wrote to the executive board yesterday as follows:

        ---
        Hi All,

        I have just received word from ACM's Director of Publications
        that our amendments to the Classification System have been
        approved with some minor changes. They will become part of
        the current CCS, and will not have to wait for the next revision
        which is scheduled for 2014/15.

        The changes are currently awaiting technical implementation.
        Once that is done, we should have less difficulty classifying our
        work in ACM related journal and conference publications. Keep
        in mind that this is a compromise and not a perfect solution, we
        had to work with the existing CCS and look for ways to integrate.

        ACM indicated that they look forward to us having some input
        when the next revision comes around, so that our terms might
        coalesce under a single higher-level node.

        Best regards,
        Wolfgang
        ---

        As for what the specific changes will be, we are not sure because of the mention of minor changes, but new categories in our proposal include the following. (I'm giving just the newly proposed leaves of the classification tree, but not the full proposal because it's kind of complicated and some of the categories are proposed to be duplicated in two parts of the tree... and it's not final, but this should give you an idea of the new categories that we expect to be available soon.)

        Evolvable Hardware
        Evolutionary Robotics
        Genetic Programming
        Search-Based Software Engineering
        Simulated annealing
        Evolutionary algorithms
        Tabu search
        Randomized local search
        Bio-inspired optimization
        Developmental representations
        Random search heuristics
        Theory of randomized search heuristics
        Artificial Immune Systems
        Artificial Life
        Generative and developmental approaches
        Multi-criterion optimization and decision-making

        -Lee