ACM Topics for GP

  • David White
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2013
      Hi All,

      Recently, I've been asked to label REF (http://www.ref.ac.uk/) submissions with an appropriate ACM topic, but the list I have received (similar to http://dl.acm.org/ccs_flat.cfm) does not contain an obvious option for Genetic Programming.

      How do people usually classify GP in the ACM taxonomies? What are other REF-able researchers labelling their work with?

      This is important, because it will be used to automatically assign REF papers to researchers with knowledge in the field. It would make sense, therefore, to ensure that UK GP researchers are consistently labelling their work.

      Thanks,

      David

      (I'm sure this issue has come up before, but I've not managed to find anything in the mailing list archive.)

      David R White
      SICSA Research Fellow
      School of Computing Science
      University of Glasgow
      http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~whited

    • Julian Miller
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2013
        David

        On the ACM 1998 list there are

        I.2.2 Artificial Intelligence->Automatic Programming
        D.1.2 Software->Automatic Programming

        These are the categories I use for my GECCO papers.

        On the ACM 2012 list these seem most relevant (they have dropped "Automatic Programming"!)

        Artificial Intelligence->Search methodologies

        Computing methodologies->Optimization algorithms

        Who decides the ACM list because the 2012 one is worse (from a GP point of view) than the 1998 one!!

        Julian

        On 30 July 2013 11:49, David White <david.r.white@...> wrote:

[...]

         Dr. Julian F. Miller
         Reader, Department of Electronics (Athena-Swan bronze award)
         University of York
         Heslington, YO10 5DD
         UK
         Email: julian.miller@...
         Tel: +44 (0)1904 322383
         Fax: +44 (0)1904 322335
         http://www.elec.york.ac.uk/staff/jfm7.html
         Times Higher Education University of the Year 2010

        Cartesian Genetic Programming (I think therefore I CGP)

        Top journals in EC and GP
        Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines
        http://www.wkap.nl/journalhome.htm/1389-2576
        IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation
        http://ieee-cis.org/pubs/tec/
        Evolutionary Computation
        http://www.mitpressjournals.org/loi/evco

        http://www.york.ac.uk/about/legal-statements/email-disclaimer/

        "The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas" L. Pauling
        "If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it". A. Einstein
      • David R White
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2013
          Hi Julian,

          Thanks very much for the helpful response. I agree with your comments,
          and I think these are good suggestions.

          There is a many-to-one mapping for each REF numerical code:

          Artificial Intelligence->Search methodologies is <22>.
          Computing methodologies->Optimization algorithms is <12>.

          Looking at the other topics classified within these codes, I prefer the
          first option, "Search methodologies", code <22>. The other code includes
          topics such as parallel processing, e.g. MapReduce, which seems less
          related to GP than those in <22>.

          So, I propose <22> as the best choice.

          Thanks,

          David

          University of Glasgow, G12 8RZ, UK.
          http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~whited
        • Lee Spector
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 30, 2013
            This has been discussed quite a bit among the SIGEVO executive committee, in part because many of us agree that the 2012 categories are considerably worse than the 1998 categories, and although it can be difficult to get changes made at ACM I believe that progress was announced on this issue at GECCO last month. I will see if we can get an update on the issue posted to this list.

            -Lee

            Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
            893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
            lspector@..., http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
            Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438
          • Lee Spector
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 31, 2013
              Wolfgang Banzhaf, the current Chair of ACM SIGEVO, wrote to the executive board yesterday as follows:

              ---
              Hi All,

              I have just received word from ACM's Director of Publications
              that our amendments to the Classification System have been
              approved with some minor changes. They will become part of
              the current CCS, and will not have to wait for the next revision
              which is scheduled for 2014/15.

              The changes are currently awaiting technical implementation.
              Once that is done, we should have less difficulty classifying our
              work in ACM related journal and conference publications. Keep
              in mind that this is a compromise and not a perfect solution, we
              had to work with the existing CCS and look for ways to integrate.

              ACM indicated that they look forward to us having some input
              when the next revision comes around, so that our terms might
              coalesce under a single higher-level node.

              Best regards,
              Wolfgang
              ---

              As for what the specific changes will be, we are not sure because of the mention of minor changes, but new categories in our proposal include the following. (I'm giving just the newly proposed leaves of the classification tree, but not the full proposal because it's kind of complicated and some of the categories are proposed to be duplicated in two parts of the tree... and it's not final, but this should give you an idea of the new categories that we expect to be available soon.)

              Evolvable Hardware
              Evolutionary Robotics
              Genetic Programming
              Search-Based Software Engineering
              Simulated annealing
              Evolutionary algorithms
              Tabu search
              Randomized local search
              Bio-inspired optimization
              Developmental representations
              Random search heuristics
              Theory of randomized search heuristics
              Artificial Immune Systems
              Artificial Life
              Generative and developmental approaches
              Multi-criterion optimization and decision-making

              -Lee